By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Mario Series Really All That Milked? (No, It's Not.)

Tagged games:

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Even if it was, I fail to see the problem. It's not like Nintendo forces you to buy every Mario game out there. I skip a ton of them and save my money for the ones that interests me (mainly 3D Mario and Mario Kart). If you are sick of playing the "same" games over and over there is a very simple solution to your problem: Stop buying them.

The only reason I see to complain about this is jealousy.

The common argument used by people is that the milking drains the developer's talent, making each game worse than it would have been otherwise.

Around the Network
Deyon said:
RazorDragon said:

God of War(2005, PS2)
God of War II(2007, PS2)
God of War: Betrayal(2007, Mobile)
God of War: Chains of Olympus(2008, PSP)
God of War III(2010, PS3)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta(2010, PSP)
God of War Ascencion(2013, PS3)

Please tell me if i'm wrong but is there a game called, Kratos golf, Kratos tennis, Kratos party, Kratos vs Sonic, Kratos Kart, Kratos at the olympics, Kratos strikers, Kratos Paper, Kratos RPG. Super Kratos Brothers and many more.

Exactly, there isn't, and that's one of my points.

Mario is most definitely milked. I don't see a problem with it as long as people are enjoying the games...why complain?

What people should complain about is the lack of new IP from Nintendo. Where is the next Mario? Zelda? You can bring out new IP without dropping the old ones, can't you?

Deyon said:
RazorDragon said:

God of War(2005, PS2)
God of War II(2007, PS2)
God of War: Betrayal(2007, Mobile)
God of War: Chains of Olympus(2008, PSP)
God of War III(2010, PS3)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta(2010, PSP)
God of War Ascencion(2013, PS3)

Please tell me if i'm wrong but is there a game called, Kratos golf, Kratos tennis, Kratos party, Kratos vs Sonic, Kratos Kart, Kratos goes to the olympics, Kratos strikers, Kratos Paper, Kratos RPG. Super Kratos Brothers and many more.

What is your point?

One has to realise that the Super Mario series is far less milked and more innovative than God of War. One only has to look at the drastic change from Super Mario Sunshine to Galaxy.

In the end, there are many games where Mario appears; however, each new entry is a standalone title. There is no link between Mario Tennis and Mario Party; each are different. Thus, putting Mario in one single entity is a mistake.

RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:
Mario is most definitely milked. I don't see a problem with it as long as people are enjoying the games...why complain?

What people should complain about is the lack of new IP from Nintendo. Where is the next Mario? Zelda? You can bring out new IP without dropping the old ones, can't you?

They do release new IPs, it's just that all you care about are Mario and Zelda games.

Nice post, I guess that sums up every complaint people have against Nintendo not releasing new IPs. It would be easy make a relatively big list here of new IPs Nintendo created this generation, but I believe it wouldn't matter a thing to a few people.

Around the Network
VGKing said:

Animal Crossing is a new IP created in 2001

Luigi's Mansion is a new IP created in 2001

Pikmin is a new IP created in 2001

Xeno (or continuation depending on how one sees this) is a new IP created in 2010

Pushmo is a new IP created in 2011

Rhythm Heaven is a new IP created in 2009

And more.

There are many new IP's that Nintendo creates it's just that people fail to take a closer look at what they release.

Vinniegambini said:

One has to realise that the Super Mario series is far less milked and more innovative than God of War. One only has to look at the drastic change from Super Mario Sunshine to Galaxy.

God of War changes a lot with every new release, new story, new enemies, new boss battles, new weapons, a little gameplay difference and last but not least multiplayer.

When i play Mario i feel like i played it a million times before. save the princess jump on a gomba's head and defeat bowser. WOW!

RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:

They do release new IPs, it's just that all you care about are Mario and Zelda games.

Wii Sports and Wii Fit don't count. Where is the creativity? Where is the new mascot? At the very least, a new IP would lead to addional characters for the next Smash Bros.

Mario the character is being milked, and milked hard, but he appears in a plethora of different titles with genres so strikingly different that they can't even be considered to be in the same series. There's also the fact that, with the exception of Mario Party, Nintendo usually only releases one title from each series on each of their systems. Of course, thanks to the fact that they're supporting 2 systems simultaneously, we get a few Mario titles every year. I don't think it's such a big deal, though. I mean, no one bothers to buy every Mario spinoff that's released, right?

Vinniegambini said:
VGKing said:

Animal Crossing is a new IP created in 2001

Luigi's Mansion is a new IP created in 2001

Pikmin is a new IP created in 2001

Xeno (or continuation depending on how one sees this) is a new IP created in 2010

Pushmo is a new IP created in 2011

Rhythm Heaven is a new IP created in 2009

And more.

There are many new IP's that Nintendo creates it's just that people fail to take a closer look at what they release.

You do realize most people don't care about these IP right?

The only relevant IP there are Animal Crossing and Luigis Mansion. Both are from way back in 2001. 12 years ago. Glad Nintendo is creating new games based on these IP, but Luigis Mansion is based on  Luigi...a character from the Mario games. This may be a new IP, but it's not a new character. Now that I think about it....why not create new characers within the Mario universe and and from there, once people are introduced to the characters...make a new IP with them. it makes perfect sense and I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't done this yet. Luigi's Mansion is a step in the right direction..