By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Mario Series Really All That Milked? (No, It's Not.)

Tagged games:

Deyon said:
Vinniegambini said:

One has to realise that the Super Mario series is far less milked and more innovative than God of War. One only has to look at the drastic change from Super Mario Sunshine to Galaxy.

God of War changes a lot with every new release, new story, new enemies, new boss battles, new weapons, a little gameplay difference and last but not least multiplayer.

When i play Mario i feel like i played it a million times before. save the princess jump on a gomba's head and defeat bowser. WOW!

Mario Galaxy had all of these...

Around the Network
Deyon said:
Vinniegambini said:

One has to realise that the Super Mario series is far less milked and more innovative than God of War. One only has to look at the drastic change from Super Mario Sunshine to Galaxy.

God of War changes a lot with every new release, new story, new enemies, new boss battles, new weapons, a little gameplay difference and last but not least multiplayer.

When i play Mario i feel like i played it a million times before. save the princess jump on a gomba's head and defeat bowser. WOW!

Your personal preference towards God of War does not change the fact that the Super Mario series has evolved, more so than God of War. If you fail to see that, than that is your perrogative.

Vinniegambini said:
VGKing said:
Mario is most definitely milked. I don't see a problem with it as long as people are enjoying the games...why complain?

What people should complain about is the lack of new IP from Nintendo. Where is the next Mario? Zelda? You can bring out new IP without dropping the old ones, can't you?

Animal Crossing is a new IP created in 2001

Luigi's Mansion is a new IP created in 2001

Pikmin is a new IP created in 2001

Xeno (or continuation depending on how one sees this) is a new IP created in 2010

Pushmo is a new IP created in 2011

Rhythm Heaven is a new IP created in 2009

And more.

There are many new IP's that Nintendo creates it's just that people fail to take a closer look at what they release.

People loved the ones created in 2001, all the others are kind of ignored.

Farsala said:
Vinniegambini said:
VGKing said:
Mario is most definitely milked. I don't see a problem with it as long as people are enjoying the games...why complain?

What people should complain about is the lack of new IP from Nintendo. Where is the next Mario? Zelda? You can bring out new IP without dropping the old ones, can't you?

Xeno (or continuation depending on how one sees this) is a new IP created in 2010

And more.

There are many new IP's that Nintendo creates it's just that people fail to take a closer look at what they release.

I understand that; however, my argument was geared towards him saying that Nintendo lacks of new IP's - they are not.

VGKing said:
Vinniegambini said:
VGKing said:

And more.

You do realize most people don't care about these IP right?

The only relevant IP there are Animal Crossing and Luigis Mansion. Both are from way back in 2001. 12 years ago. Glad Nintendo is creating new games based on these IP, but Luigis Mansion is based on  Luigi...a character from the Mario games. This may be a new IP, but it's not a new character. Now that I think about it....why not create new characers within the Mario universe and and from there, once people are introduced to the characters...make a new IP with them. it makes perfect sense and I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't done this yet. Luigi's Mansion is a step in the right direction..

If people don't care about these IP's, they would not release to sequels to them. Nonetheless, they are less popular than Nintendo's mascots that's for sure and you are right. However, to claim that Nintendo does not create new IP's is a false one.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:

Wii Sports and Wii Fit don't count. Where is the creativity? Where is the new mascot? At the very least, a new IP would lead to addional characters for the next Smash Bros.

Look, you are a Sony fan. You really aren't the right guy to call for Nintendo making new mascots when the culmination of your prefered company's work is worth next to nothing.

Nathan Drake, Kratos, Cole McGrath, Sackboy..etc. 3 of these characters and IP were created this gen. Any notable new characters Nintendo has created recently?

In fact there's a new Sony IP/Character coming in a few months. Joel from The Last of Us. This is at the end of PS3's lifecycle. Sony and new IP go together like peanut butter and jelly.

List of new IP Sony has created this gen
-Uncharted
-The Last of Us
-LittleBigPlanet
-Playstation All-Stars
-Heavy Rain
-Beyond: Two Souls
-The Last Guardian
-inFamous
-Modnation Racers
-Motorstorm

I could go on and list a couple more but these are the most releavnt ones I could think of. 

VGKing said:

Nathan Drake, Kratos, Cole McGrath, Sackboy..etc. 3 of these characters and IP were created this gen. Any notable new characters Nintendo has created recently?

In fact there's a new Sony IP/Character coming in a few months. Joel from The Last of Us. This is at the end of PS3's lifecycle. Sony and new IP go together like peanut butter and jelly.

You forgot that chick from Beyond

Vinniegambini said:
Farsala said:
Vinniegambini said:
VGKing said:

And more.

I understand that; however, my argument was geared towards him saying that Nintendo lacks of new IP's - they are not.

Also, you posted just a small amount of IPs created from Nintendo. Games like Endless Ocean, Flingsmash, Steel Diver, Aura-Aura Climber, Starship Defense, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Ketzal's Corridors, Art Academy, Brain Age, Fluidity were awesome new IPs released from Nintendo this generation from DS and DSiWare up to 3DS and Wii. And people also seem to forget IP revivals that Nintendo made this generation, franchises that were over 10 years old and without sequels had their sequels released this generation like Sin & Punishment, X(GameBoy), Kid Icarus and Excite games.

VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:

Wii Sports and Wii Fit don't count. Where is the creativity? Where is the new mascot? At the very least, a new IP would lead to addional characters for the next Smash Bros.

Look, you are a Sony fan. You really aren't the right guy to call for Nintendo making new mascots when the culmination of your prefered company's work is worth next to nothing.

List of new IP Sony has created this gen
-Uncharted
-The Last of Us
-LittleBigPlanet
-Playstation All-Stars
-Heavy Rain
-Beyond: Two Souls
-The Last Guardian
-inFamous
-Modnation Racers
-Motorstorm

I could go on and list a couple more but these are the most releavnt ones I could think of. 

LittleBigPlanet can be placed as a last gen game, you know.  I don't really know much about the others.  I also looked up Heavy Rain and it seems like it's owned by a second party developer, but I mean that probably still counts but then you can add a good few others to Nintendo's list this way too.  

You're obviously biased and don't want to admit that you're wrong.  

Deyon said:
VGKing said:

Nathan Drake, Kratos, Cole McGrath, Sackboy..etc. 3 of these characters and IP were created this gen

Kratos? O_o

That's some serious comprehension problems.