By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Mario Series Really All That Milked? (No, It's Not.)

Tagged games:

Omg, what a discussion turned into a (debatable) debate that finally turn out into a battlefield of Epic Franchise Proportion!

Well, I see I don't have to do much, but sit back and see how this ends...

I have to admit seeing Deyon using Solid Snake as an avatar and bisacly invades the Nintendo forum, kinda makes this thread feels like Super Smash Bros. Brawl all over again, minus Sonic the Hedgehog! LMFAO XD

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network
Deyon said:
Vinniegambini said:

Your ignorance and devotion to Sony has blinded you.

For example, White Knight Chronicles was developped exclusively for the PS3, published by Sony Computer Entertainment but the rights belong to Level 5, the developpers.

Crash and Spyro were published by Sony Computer Entertainment in their early beginings. I don't see them exclusively on Sony platforms or Sony to have exclusive rights on the franchise.

Please refrain to using such baseless arguments

That's totall bullcrap, i'm not talking out of my ass or anything thats what i know, if you don't want to believe me than don't.

At that time Sony didn't care about holding the rights to the games they publish they just started doing that 6-12 years ago .

Instead of calling me a liar why don't you go do a little research on Sony than come back.

And the last time i checked White Knight Chronicles is still a PlayStation exclusive.

Your not making any sense

Deyon said:
Vinniegambini said:

Your ignorance and devotion to Sony has blinded you.

For example, White Knight Chronicles was developped exclusively for the PS3, published by Sony Computer Entertainment but the rights belong to Level 5, the developpers.

Crash and Spyro were published by Sony Computer Entertainment in their early beginings. I don't see them exclusively on Sony platforms or Sony to have exclusive rights on the franchise.

Please refrain to using such baseless arguments

That's totall bullcrap, i'm not talking out of my ass or anything thats what i know, if you don't want to believe me than don't.

At that time Sony didn't care about holding the rights to the games they publish they just started doing that 6-12 years ago .

Instead of calling me a liar why don't you go do a little research on Sony than come back.

And the last time i checked White Knight Chronicles is still a PlayStation exclusive.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is a Wii exclusive. And...?

games with mario in the title since 2005

Mario Superstar Baseball 2005 Nintendo GameCube Sports
Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix 2005 Nintendo GameCube Music video game
Mario Kart DS 2005 Nintendo DS Racing
Mario Party 7 2005 Nintendo GameCube Party game
Super Mario Strikers 2005 Nintendo GameCube Sports
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time 2005 Nintendo DS Role-playing
Mario Party Advance 2005 Game Boy Advance Party game
Mario Tennis: Power Tour 2005 Game Boy Advance Sports (Tennis)
Dr. Mario & Puzzle League 2005 Game Boy Advance Puzzle
Mario Kart Arcade GP 2005 Arcade game Racing
New Super Mario Bros. 2006 Nintendo DS Platformer (2D)
Mario Hoops 3-on-3 2006 Nintendo DS Sports
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis 2006 Nintendo DS Platformer (2D)
Super Paper Mario 2007 Wii Role-playing
Mario Party 8 2007 Wii Party game
Mario Strikers Charged 2007 Wii Sports
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 2007 Wii Sports (Olympic Games)
Super Mario Galaxy 2007 Wii Platformer (3D)
Mario Party DS 2007 Nintendo DS Party game
Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 2007 Arcade game Racing
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 2007 Nintendo DS Sports (Olympic Games)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2008 Wii Fighting game
Dr. Mario Express 2008 DSiWare Puzzle
Dr. Mario Online Rx 2008 WiiWare Puzzle
Mario Kart Wii 2008 Wii Racing
Mario Super Sluggers 2008 Wii Sports
Mario Power Tennis (New Play Control! series) 2008 Wii Sports (Tennis)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games 2009 Wii Sports (Olympic Games)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2009 Wii Platformer (2D)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story 2009 Nintendo DS Role-playing
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games 2009 Nintendo DS Sports (Olympic Games)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 2010 Wii Platformer (3D)
Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition 2010 Wii Platformer (2D)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! 2010 Nintendo DS Platformer (2D)
Mario Sports Mix 2010 Wii Sports
Super Mario 3D Land 2011 Nintendo 3DS Platformer (3D)
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games 2011 Wii Sports (Olympic Games)
Mario Kart 7 2011 Nintendo 3DS Racing
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games 2012 Nintendo 3DS Sports (Olympic Games)
Mario Party 9 2012 Wii Party game
Mario Tennis Open 2012 Nintendo 3DS Sports (Tennis)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 2012 Nintendo 3DS Platformer (2D)
Paper Mario: Sticker Star 2012 Nintendo 3DS Role-playing
New Super Mario Bros. U 2012 Wii U Platformer (2D)
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX 2013 Arcade game Racing

barely, had 1 or 2 more titles and then yes you might say it's milked

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Mario is a character is definitely milked, but what company wouldn't milk a character with Mario-status???
Mario is up there with Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald is terms of brand recognition...
Other companies would kill for that kind of character...
It is safe to assume that Nintendo is going to make a kart racing game or tennis game; why no use one of the world's most familiar faces to guarantee greater interest???
And given that NSMB2 and NSMBU were released within three months to each other, I can't blame anyone for feeling a little Mario-related fatigue...
As much as I love a good Mario platformer, I can't say I'm all that pumped to see a new Mario at E3...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Even if it was, I fail to see the problem. It's not like Nintendo forces you to buy every Mario game out there. I skip a ton of them and save my money for the ones that interests me (mainly 3D Mario and Mario Kart). If you are sick of playing the "same" games over and over there is a very simple solution to your problem: Stop buying them.

The only reason I see to complain about this is jealousy.

The common argument used by people is that the milking drains the developer's talent, making each game worse than it would have been otherwise.

Strange. I can only speak for myself, but I sure haven't seen a drop in quality.

Lately, Mario has been milked way way more than usual. Especially on 3DS. I know he's the biggest gaming franchise in the world, but Nintendo used to practice a bit more moderation. I think several series should be cut.

All sports spinoffs need to go, they are no good, usually don't sell that well, and they make for an over saturated Mario world.

Mario Party games should be axed as well, seriously, these are crap. Mario used to stand for quality, and these once again aid to his over milked image.

The only Mario games Nintendo should be making IMO: 2D plats, 1 a console/3D plats, make as many as you want they are so good/Paper Mario, only make if it's a traditional RPG, no more of that SPM or SS crap/Mario Kart 1 a console.

Those are really the only Mario games that should be made, but the catch is that they MUST be good. Look at the 3DS. You have the weakest 3d plat, the weakest 2d plat, the weakest RPG, and a very weak Mario Kart. Mario really had a poor showing on the console. Mario tennis didn't help the situation. :/

For a franchise that how been around for so long and put out some many games it has a damn good quality to quantity ratio.As long as your putting out a quality game I see no reason to stop and if your not or the consumer is tired they will let you know buy not buying it.I am not worried about Mario Nintendo 9 out 10 times will put out a quality Mario game my problem with them is that they seem to have given up on creating new IP.

To me the term milking has a negative connotation. It would have to mean that the Mario series either suffer from poor sales or poor critical reception which it isn't in both cases.

It's just a very popular brand and Nintendo knows it.

Mario is milked quite a bit. However, I don't see a problem when he comes out swinging with a diverse set of games.

NSMB2 and NSMBU were really pushing it, though. :/

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero