By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is this what the World thinks a majority of Americans are like?

PullusPardus said:

Because I am ignorant.

I was afraid that you would say, "What's the difference?" and have all Americans and Canadians after your head.

Around the Network

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

badgenome said:
PullusPardus said:

Because I am ignorant.

I was afraid that you would say, "What's the difference?" and have all Americans and Canadians after your head.

In my book canadians are americans, as they live in (north) america - they just aren't USamericans, but that's my narrowminded european view on these things.

MonstaMack said:

This always cracks me up.

If other developed countries aren't watching TV what are they doing?

Probably playing games on their TV or on the computer. Which to me is the same damn thing.

It's the same amount of eye strain and throw in some wrist detoriation down the road.

They aren't all reading books or going for daily jogs

Don't forget the US works more hours per week then any country, at least compared to this old study.

http://20somethingfinance.com/american-hours-worked-productivity-vacation/

Yep, could just be we're exhausted from working and have very little paid holidays. (Holy crap @ Finland)

JayWood2010 said:

I average probably about 1-2 hours  week if that on most weeks.  The only shows i ever watch is The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and The Big Bang Theory.  Different times of the year as well.

Also the state I live in has around 35% obesity which is absolutely pathetic so i understand people judging america because i judge my own state.

@bold great shows. BBT is okay, I'll watch if bored, haven't seen Game of Thrones at all (but heard great things).

HappySqurriel said:

I do wonder how they measure time watching TV in that study though ...

I know many people who use the TV/radio as background noise because they have difficulty focusing on what they're doing in complete silence; and if you're programming with the TV on are you really watching TV?

Yep. In college I always programmed with the TV on, silence is horrible. Background noise made me feel like I wasn't actually doing any work.

Trend carried over to adulthood - if I'm on the laptop on the couch, chances are the tv is on as well. 

Around the Network

"The way they portrayed the show it was kind of trashy"

Soleron said:
When I lived in Texas I was surprised to see how much it WAS like TV stereotype. There were sane people, but they were few in number (and, specifically, from out of state or Jewish or Mexican)

Texans are so far from Honey Boo Boo, I'm surprised you'd try to make the comparison. I mean, I can understand a jab at Alabama or Mississippi, but Texas is quite different.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

dsgrue3 said:
MonstaMack said:

Probably playing games on their TV or on the computer. Which to me is the same damn thing.

It's the same amount of eye strain and throw in some wrist detoriation down the road.

Don't forget the US works more hours per week then any country, at least compared to this old study.

Yep, could just be we're exhausted from working and have very little paid holidays. (Holy crap @ Finland)

Wow, I need to move to Finland!

Is that really a zero for US? I get 17/days of paid time off a year + your regular main holidays and all of Dec. 24th-Jan. 2nd.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
dsgrue3 said:
MonstaMack said:

Is that really a zero for US? I get 17/days of paid time off a year + your regular main holidays and all of Dec. 24th-Jan. 2nd.

Perhaps that is for contract workers.  My contract company only gives paid holidays after 1200 hours worked (includes overtime)  Right when I almost accumulated 1200 for paid holidays they laid me off and I started at 0 again when they hired me back on.  You have to get 1800 or 2000 hours (doesn't include overtime) for a 1 week paid vacation.  When I was laid off that total went back to 0 again.

Remember the lonely contract worker!!! We get fucked in the ass every day!  At least I have a job but that isn't saying too much.

Euphoria14 said:
dsgrue3 said:
MonstaMack said:

From what I understand, these are mandatory vacation in the listed countries by law. I think most in the US get some paid vacation, it just isn't by law.