By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is this what the World thinks a majority of Americans are like?

You would only have this vision of America if you're ignorant. It's plain and simple, you just can't categorize everyone in America as Honey Boo Boo Fans and Rednecks.

(Can't wait for the next Amurican Idol!)

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

You would only have this vision of America if you're ignorant. It's plain and simple, you just can't categorize everyone in America as Honey Boo Boo Fans and Rednecks.

Why so everyone thinks America is full of gays?

sethnintendo said:
NintendoPie said:

Why so everyone thinks America is full of gays?

No, everyone thinks America is full of Homophobes.

HappySqurriel said:
JayWood2010 said:

I average probably about 1-2 hours  week if that on most weeks.  The only shows i ever watch is The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and The Big Bang Theory.  Different times of the year as well.

Also the state I live in has around 35% obesity which is absolutely pathetic so i understand people judging america because i judge my own state.

I do wonder how they measure time watching TV in that study though ...

I know many people who use the TV/radio as background noise because they have difficulty focusing on what they're doing in complete silence; and if you're programming with the TV on are you really watching TV?

I do that a lot while solving HW problems.

irstupid said:
8+ hours is BS.

Lets say a person gets up at 6:30, watches tv for an hour then goes to work. They get home then at roughly 5:30. They would have to then watch tv till 12:30 am straight for it to reach 8 hours. Looking at it it shows like over 8 as well slightly.

You would have to be unemployed to average 8+ hours a day.

Have you seen recent unemployment rates?

Several TV's in homes, TV's at work, in bars and restaurants (also common here), in stores, TV being on without anyone really watching (a lot of people I know, including my own roommates leave the TV on for "background noise"), falling asleep in front of the TV etc. There is a real possibility that the average is truly massively high in some areas, dragging up the national average. And a lot of people do spend their entire day at home, sick leave, welfare, school's out/vacations or unemployment (which is at a real high right now and has been for a while).

8+ hours sounds amazingly high but its not entirely impossible.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:

This always cracks me up.

If other developed countries aren't watching TV what are they doing?

(..)

You know. The 'outside world'.

Here in The Netherlands, a lot of people spend decent time cycling or walking. Outdoor activities. In spring and summer, a lot of people do water-related activities, like boating or sailing. There's more to it than TV and computers here in Europe. I guess it's cultural difference, Europe has twice the number of inhabitants the US has and most countries in it are at least around the same level of wealth and prosperity the US is, yet all media related markets are a lot smaller (gaming, movies, tv); Why would that be?

dsgrue3 said:

And this is why we have some stupid shows - need to fill slots with content for a populace that watches entirely too much television.

Erm I'm not one to defend the stupidity of my country, but are you sure that is correct? Just seems like WAY too much, even for America. I feel like that's meant to be a joke.

PullusPardus said:
HappySqurriel said:

I don't think most people from other countries think most Americans are like that, but they tend to believe that (for some reason) there are far more uneducated and trashy people in the United States than there are in similarly developed nations.

this is why people see americans as ignorant, why do you guys always do this? 

this whole "first world country" or "Most powerful country" thing.

To be clear, I'm Canadian not American and I didn't make any reference to "first world country" or "Most powerful country" ...

The reason I like to judge countless social, political and cultural issues based on the level of development of a country is because it is the only way to be fair about it. There are many countries in the world where being poor means you have difficulty meeting your basic needs (food, clothing and shelter), education is a luxury many people can not afford, and there are cultural barriers to improving your position in life. In the top 20 (or so) developed nations around the world the vast majority of people do not face these challenges.