By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dev says companies talked about canned Wii U games rather than new ones at DICE, more

Nintendo's consoles don't sell western devs' games well, unless they are casual games (Just Dance, etc. etc.)

Luckily, Nintendo only need themselves and Japanese 3rd party devs and they can support a console all by themselves. This is good news on the long run, as Nintendo just becomes more and more self-sufficient.

They do need to learn to cater to the market that western 3rd party devs are able to attract though, on the long run.

Around the Network
twilight_link said:
bestselling games on Nintendo platforms are mostly from Nintendo, games from WiiU launch are either horrible ports (Batman, ME3), outside of Nintendo demographics (CoD) or mediocre efforts (ZombiU)

for me Lego is first true test of new Nintendo platform, if this game will have great score but fails on retail, then Nintendo has big problem, until this we deal with very well known lies and excuses.

Mass Effect 3 is a pretty nice port actually, I own it on Wii U.

Cobretti2 said:
DaRev said:
Nintendo says they are working with third parties and I believe that they are. I think Nintendo will form strong partnerships with third parties, especially in Japan, which I think will go a long way towards getting people interested in the console.

but there is more to game development that japanese third party. They need to get some of the major hits from 3rd party devs in the West.

Agreed, but I think support from the West is already there, it's just that right now many of those developers are making tough business decisions (like Ubisoft has with Rayman). Funny enough though, I think we have to see PS720  before we can see bigger 3rd party support for the WiiU. I think by then, the WiiU would have an even bigger installed user base and 3rd parties would be thinking to maximise sales of their next gen games by having them on the 3 new platforms, because having a new game on just 1 or even 2 consoles probably wouldn't yield the best sales. So I think 3rd party support in the form of the next Modern Warfare, Assasins, etc will be on the WiiU, because it wouldn't make much business sense not to be I think.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

twilight_link said:
crissindahouse said:
i wonder why some nintendo fans don't understand that when it comes to rayman. it's exactly the same, 360 and ps3 onwers wouldn't buy it because it would be a port of an "old" game exactly like mass effect for wii u. but if ubisoft releases it at the same time on all platforms full price is fair for them then.

neither XBOX360 nor PS3 supoport from Ubisoft depend on sales performance of Rayman, in case of WiiU it was promised as exclusive, they failed to stand by their promise, i personally, don't care about Rayman or Ubisoft support, the situation in ME3 case was hardly comparable 

it is comparable because they have to delay the wii u version if they won't loose potential sales for ps3 and 360 (mass effect was only an example, was about every port). if wii u would get rayman now, the wii u version would be only 20€ or so when it would release in september for 360/ps3 and with that they could hardly try to get full price with the same game on another console and only 1/3 of the price in the same store. because then, 360/ps3 owners will say the same as wii u owners said to the ports on wii u at release "i won't buy that, it's already much cheaper on other consoles"

and who cares if they "promised" it will be an exclusive? wii u is selling bad and games on that as well (asscreed 3 sold 100k, one of the best-selling games of the last years). ubisoft has to find new ways to sell their game. they already released an excluisve game for wiiu so they already saw how that worked for them financially. everyone who is a rayman fan should look at what is best for rayman and not if that game is promised as exclusive.

TheBardsSong said:
twilight_link said:
bestselling games on Nintendo platforms are mostly from Nintendo, games from WiiU launch are either horrible ports (Batman, ME3), outside of Nintendo demographics (CoD) or mediocre efforts (ZombiU)

for me Lego is first true test of new Nintendo platform, if this game will have great score but fails on retail, then Nintendo has big problem, until this we deal with very well known lies and excuses.

Mass Effect 3 is a pretty nice port actually, I own it on Wii U.

technically perhaps, but it was ported under horrible circumstances, last part of trillogy, in time when full trilogy at same price was released on other platforms etc.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
Cobretti2 said:
JGarret said:
Cobretti2 said:
Roma said:
when Nintendo proves the system can sell with their IPs devs say they can't sell games because of Nintendo IPs and when Nintendo gives them room and not release their IPs, 3rd parties don't sell because the system did not have many Nintendo games to sell it. now Nintendo has to sell the system with their IPs so 3rd parties can sell their games -_-

this is fucked up!

You know very well that this is considered a conspiracy theory by people who don't own Nintendo consoles.

I´ve believed those 'theories' for a long time, though I can´t blame people for not believing, as some of them are indeed absurd (such as EA sabotaging their own games in order to justify to investors why it´s not worth it to develop for Nintendo systems).

Well they did get butt hurt about the whole Origin thing.

However I don't think they sabotaged MS3 but rather made a shit business decision in releasing it. The reason being that the other consoles got the trilogy pack released about the same time and at the same price as the one game that was 3rd in the series, which made it kind of pointless to own on Wii U.

Cobretti, off topic here, but I was checking this thread on gaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511924&page=97

And it seems there´s an insider who posts there and people really trust him with info..apparently, that rumor about no used games for the next Xbox just might indeed be true, check it out if you´ve got the time.

I did read this info when it was posted on these forums.

My response to this was something along the lines of:

"This is why retro gaming market is growing in value as people have the freedom to play their games how they want when they want."

I also mentioned that this gen has pissed me of with patches and updates as it allows devs to be lazy and turn the general public into beta testers. The biggest problem I have is ot the fact we are the beta testers but how will I play my games 10 years from now (with my kids to show them what I had when I was younger), if I have no access to the patches again because the servers are down and I either uninstalled the game or my PS3/360 had died so I bought another one from eBay.

Essentially the main reason people liked console gaming over PC gaming was because in the past you just put in a game and it worked out of the box.

Saying all that, I have no problem with patches and updates on PC as well they are generally exe files you download that can be stored away as backups. So even if they go down from the internet I can always patch the games to work.

Somini said:
RazorDragon said:
This makes absolutely no sense. Vita situation is way, way worse, and devs are still releasing and announcing new and exclusive games for it. Where's logic?

The Vita situation is not worse at all. Ubisoft just recently announced that assasins creed had sold 600k on the Vita and that they were quite happy with those numbers.

And that's exactly why it doesn't make any sense.

Somini said:
RazorDragon said:
This makes absolutely no sense. Vita situation is way, way worse, and devs are still releasing and announcing new and exclusive games for it. Where's logic?

The Vita situation is not worse at all. Ubisoft just recently announced that assasins creed had sold 600k on the Vita and that they were quite happy with those numbers.

That was bundled though. I know, that's how I bought my Vita.

Nintendo REALLY needs to hurry up with Pikmin 3. Beyond that there's hardly any games coming out for the Wii U until fall.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

crissindahouse said:
HappySqurriel said:
twilight_link said:

Don't forget over-priced ...

Had games like Batman or Mass Effect been a collection of all games released in the last generation, selling them for $60 would seem reasonable to most people; but "old" ports of games should not be sold for full price even if they're on a new platform.

i wonder why some nintendo fans don't understand that when it comes to rayman. it's exactly the same, 360 and ps3 onwers wouldn't buy it because it would be a port of an "old" game exactly like mass effect for wii u. but if ubisoft releases it at the same time on all platforms full price is fair for them then.

Or they could sell it at a reduced price. Considering the competition in September, they'll need to anyways.