By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dev says companies talked about canned Wii U games rather than new ones at DICE, more

zumnupy10 said:
Jumpin said:
pezus said:
zumnupy10 said:
Otakumegane said:
RazorDragon said:
This makes absolutely no sense. Vita situation is way, way worse, and devs are still releasing and announcing new and exclusive games for it. Where's logic?

Sony moneyhats?

AC3 managed to sell 600K on Vita. 

And that's a game with a much lower metacritic score than ACIII. ACIII WiiU sold just over 100k on WiiU as a comparison...

So if Vita gets 3rd party games, it's Sony moneyhatting. If WiiU doesn't get 3rd party games it's because devs are stupid. Lovely.

The game comes free with the system, and has moved only 320K, not 600K.

It was 600k according to Ubisoft CEO words:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/acii-success-proves-vita-is-viable-ubisoft-argues-assassin-s-creed-4-announced/0110630

How many of those ames are sitting warehouses, stacked in boxes that look like this?

According to VGChartz, only 320K are actually in the hands of consumers. 

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
zumnupy10 said:
Barozi said:

Thing is neither of them look like they would need a big budget on WiiU. Ubisoft said that late ports only cost $1m to make, so it can't be Batman (though they changed the game a bit. Shouldn't be more than $2m however. Also I know that Ubisoft isn't the publisher of Batman ). Skylanders Giants should've been more expensive to make, since it was developed simultaneously but Skylanders isn't an expensive game to begin with.

It is confirmed that this "High Bugdet" game is from Ubisoft ?      

Added Wii U Top 10 launch games:

Could be anything from nº3 to nº10.   My bet is still in AC3.

No it's not confirmed to be Ubisoft.

Again read the original quote:
"I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell “millions” over time. It only managed “tens of thousands”."

Can't be ZombiU since it sold more than just "tens of thousands" and was surely never expected to sell millions as it's a survivor horror game.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is just an enhanced port and released in only one region. Impossible to sell "millions" that way.
Just Dance 4 is not a high budget game. They likely just took the Wii version, upped the rez and tacked on some Gamepad exclusive features.
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed can't be expected to sell "millions".
Same for Scribblenauts (plus it's not released in all regions).
Batman Arkham City is not high budget either as it's a cheap port.

Leaves really just Black Ops 2 and Assassins Creed 3.

Jumpin said:
zumnupy10 said:

It was 600k according to Ubisoft CEO words:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/acii-success-proves-vita-is-viable-ubisoft-argues-assassin-s-creed-4-announced/0110630

How many of those ames are sitting warehouses, stacked in boxes that look like this?

According to VGChartz, only 320K are actually in the hands of consumers. 

Where did you find 320k ?
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/63598/assassins-creed-iii-liberation/

North America alone has 320k.

Jumpin said:

The game comes free with the system, and has moved only 320K, not 600K.

Do you consider NintendoLand & ZombiU to have sold bugger all, then?

twilight_link said:

@zumnupy10:they flushed the market with numerous IP's and only 3 remain competitive, two of them heavily bundled (GT and Uncharted), LBP1 was 5M seller, LBP2 sells around 2M, LBPVita sells horrible, LBP Karting same horrible sales (less than 1/10 of original) this is by any definition hardly relevant franchise.

"I don't understand this idea people have, that a game has to sell better just because it is made by a first-party studio." extremely important, success of 1st party IP's are best bet, if 3rd parties terminate support to your platform, you have something to sell to your audience, this is the only reason Nintendo remain alive

All companies flush the market with new Ip in the beggining of a new generation.  In the end only a few games achieve success.  Saying that GT and Uncharted sold well because were heavily bundled is bullshit imo.

Perhaps the reason why Sony and MS don't need all their First-party games to be successful, is because they know Third-parties won't abandon them.

Around the Network
zumnupy10 said:
twilight_link said:

@zumnupy10:they flushed the market with numerous IP's and only 3 remain competitive, two of them heavily bundled (GT and Uncharted), LBP1 was 5M seller, LBP2 sells around 2M, LBPVita sells horrible, LBP Karting same horrible sales (less than 1/10 of original) this is by any definition hardly relevant franchise.

"I don't understand this idea people have, that a game has to sell better just because it is made by a first-party studio." extremely important, success of 1st party IP's are best bet, if 3rd parties terminate support to your platform, you have something to sell to your audience, this is the only reason Nintendo remain alive

All companies flush the market with new Ip in the beggining of a new generation.  In the end only a few games achieve success.  Saying that GT and Uncharted sold well because were heavily bundled is bullshit imo.

Perhaps the reason why Sony and MS don't need all their First-party games to be successful, is because they know Third-parties won't abandon them.

they flushing the market constantly not only at start of generation because most of their 1st party IP's are dead after few sequels or generation, they certainly try to build successful IP in long term but most with exception of GT failed miserably.

Bundles and Sony's own IP's "success" are not bulshit but pure and simple observation at least in this generation

"is because they know Third-parties won't abandon them." unfounded speculation, new shark in Red Ocean...you know.

successful in case of Sony with PS3 and Vita is not the suitable word

Edit: of course in case of Sony only, Microsoft has endless resources as long as Windows and Office sells

Edit2: Vita is great example, how shaky they success actualy is.

zumnupy10 said:
Barozi said:
zumnupy10 said:
Barozi said:
Black Ops 2 most likely or perhaps Assassins Creed 3 ?

What else is a big budget game that could sell millions ? Certainly not Just Dance 4, ZombiU or any other late (more than 6 months) port.

AC3 is my bet.   

Other candidates are Batman: Armored edition and Skylanders.

Thing is neither of them look like they would need a big budget on WiiU. Ubisoft said that late ports only cost $1m to make, so it can't be Batman (though they changed the game a bit. Shouldn't be more than $2m however. Also I know that Ubisoft isn't the publisher of Batman ). Skylanders Giants should've been more expensive to make, since it was developed simultaneously but Skylanders isn't an expensive game to begin with.

I think it's Mass Effect 3: e.g. the game that nobody has any business buying on Wii U, that was very highly rated on metacritic.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Wow, MyNintendoNews got this story really late.

Mr Khan said:
zumnupy10 said:
Barozi said:
zumnupy10 said:
Barozi said:

What else is a big budget game that could sell millions ? Certainly not Just Dance 4, ZombiU or any other late (more than 6 months) port.

AC3 is my bet.   

I think it's Mass Effect 3: e.g. the game that nobody has any business buying on Wii U, that was very highly rated on metacritic.

EA did everything to screw ME3 on Wii U.  

Announcing the whole trilogy for PS3/PC/X360 at $60 was like asking WiiU version to bomb.

Mr Khan said:
zumnupy10 said:
Barozi said:
zumnupy10 said:
Barozi said:

AC3 is my bet.   

Wow i didn't realise most of the launch games sold that bad. I was thinking '' 2,6 million systems with 5.2 million software is a tie ratio of 2, wich is not to bad for a new console''. But i didn't realise over 3 million of those sales are Nintendo's software(Nintedo Land is currently at 1.62 and NSMB at 1.52).

I guess that explains why developers are already taking a step back in the development, seems like the only one that will sell alot of software on the Wii-U is Nintendo.(with the exeption of one or two Ubisoft games).

Couldn't Nintendo have bought THQ? They could have used another studio.