By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has DS passed PS2 yet?

Carl2291 said:

You want an awful predictor? Look at the sig in this post.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=301449

I'm feeling like he was a stealth-troll, look at how many times he said he was wrong. And he seemed happy about it! (Using exclamation points always is a sign of happiness.)

Around the Network

I don't think it really matters. Considering the many different variables such as Ps2 launching way before DS but the DS was pretty much half the price of the Ps2, ect. Let's just say Ps2 and Ds are kings of consoles and handhelds respectively.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

spurgeonryan said:

Exactly, it sold next to nothing so Sony stopped production. Meanwhile DS had a decent holiday and is still selling. Will sell next Christmas as well.

Did you read this thread? Did you read the thread I linked?

The PS2 sold more than the DS in the first 9 Months of 2012.

Do we really need to keep having these threads? Every time we have one, Sony fans and reasonable people point out that the gap is still ~3M+. With declines the DS is facing, it would take ~3 years for the DS to outship/outsell the PS2. The DS WILL NOT be on the market for another 2 years, let alone 3+. Of course, as in the other threads, Nintendo fans will ignore this and just claim the DS will either stop declining, or be on the market long enough.

pezus said:
Play4Fun said:

No it wouldn't. The results I get say DS passed PS2, but people here said a  month or so back, that this was wrong because PS2 was no longer tracked and was still selling.

So now that PS2 is discontinued, I wanted to know if things were different now.

I don't think PS2 is even discontinued. Sony haven't mentioned that and they didn't say anything about it in the recent quarterly release. If they still combine PS3+PS2 shipments next quarter we will know they are still shipping them. They predicted 3m for the year, which would give us around 158m iirc. Will reach 160m eventually if they keep shipping them. DS should reach 157m or so.

That's my thinking, too.  I would imagine if they were to discontinue it in FY 2012, it would be at the end of Q4, not 3.  Plus, they just recently launched the PS2 in some regions, so it doesn't seem like a wise decision to just discontinue it so shortly after.

Around the Network

Didn't Sony stop producing PS2's a while ago? I don't rightly recall, but I think I remember reading about that. DS is still being produced (well, apart from the Phat and Lite models, I think, but the DSi and DSiXL are), and should sell well for a while yet.

It's already a budget choice for people who don't want the latest stuff (and their kids), plus it has an insanely large library of games still readily available everywhere. Plus, new games are still coming out, here and there.
PS2 stuff isn't as readily and visibly available anymore, really.
They'll probably do some more pricedrops eventually too. Should sell a few million more. We'll see. As long as it's making Nintendo money, they'll continue selling 'em.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

ps3-sales! said:
I don't think it really matters. Considering the many different variables such as Ps2 launching way before DS but the DS was pretty much half the price of the Ps2, ect. Let's just say Ps2 and Ds are kings of consoles and handhelds respectively.

Too rational, this obviously has to be a fanboy battle to the death.  lol

pezus said:
newwil7l said:
Turkish said:

The gap should be +3M right now, PS2 sold more than 3M last year.

There is no way PS2 sold that much last year.

So do you think PS3 sold more than 12.6m last year?

Close to that.

Please not again with this, not going to happen everone just needs to accept this.

Why are people suddenly comparing consoles with handhelds?