By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has DS passed PS2 yet?

Well the thing is there are still new DS games launching in 2013 and there may even be some new launches in 2014. Nintendo is still producing DS and it's selling good numbers in emerging market (probably as much if not more than what PS2 did in the past few years over there). DS is still selling decent in NA and Europe.

On the other hand, there is no new game release for PS2 anymore. Sony confirmed they have stopped producing it and the console is selling pretty marginal numbers (even in the emerging markets) as of now. Seriously I did not see a PS2 on shelf since at least 2 or 3 years ago and I spoke with people from South America (no fanboys) and they confirmed that PS2 is not selling anymore over there while DS is still seeling good.

I seriously don't see how it won't outsell PS2, unless you're in total delusion. lol

Anyway it does not really matter anymore since if you think about how many PS2 were bundled with phone contracts and how much phats died with the disk read error death it is clear that DS is #1 since at least 2 years.

Around the Network
atma998 said:
Well the thing is there are still new DS games launching in 2013 and there may even be some new launches in 2014. Nintendo is still producing DS and it's selling good numbers in emerging market (probably as much if not more than what PS2 did in the past few years over there). DS is still selling decent in NA and Europe.

On the other hand, there is no new game release for PS2 anymore. Sony confirmed they have stopped producing it and the console is selling pretty marginal numbers (even in the emerging markets) as of now. Seriously I did not see a PS2 on shelf since at least 2 or 3 years ago and I spoke with people from South America (no fanboys) and they confirmed that PS2 is not selling anymore over there while DS is still seeling good.

I seriously don't see how it won't outsell PS2, unless you're in total delusion. lol

Anyway it does not really matter anymore since if you think about how many PS2 were bundled with phone contracts and how much phats died with the disk read error death it is clear that DS is #1 since at least 2 years.

Oh my, this is the best one yet.

The DS hasnt outsold the PS2. Neither has the DS Lite. The DSi didnt either. The DSi XL? Nope.

Do you realise that the DS only sold 30,000 units outside of America during the holidays? Do you? About ~240k outside of America during the entire Year of 2012? Do you just choose to not understand that the PS2 outshipped the DS during the first 9 Months of 2012?

Nintendo shipped ~2.6 Million DS' in 2012.
Sony shipped ~3 Million PS2's in 2012.

Youre embarrasing Nintendo fans. The dream is over. Drop it. Pull your head out of the sand. Pull your fingers out of your ears. See sense. Youve been wrong on this for 3 Years. 3 Years! We all know how much this means to you. We all know how much you need the DS to pass the PS2. Just... Stop. Just... Save yourself.

yes according to when vgc stopped tracking PS2. no cause PS2 did not stop selling when vgc stopped tracking it.

wait for Sony to tell us.

atma998 said:

You do realize that Nintendo didn't revise their projected shipments for the DS for the FY, right?  That means they only expect to ship 150K in Q1 2013.  That's a 67% drop YOY.  For the full year of 2012, they also only shipped 2.61M, a 60% drop from the previous year.  If that happens again this year, it would end the year with 1.04M, for a total of 154.71M.  That is still 390K short of the where the PS2 sat in March 2012.  Another 60% drop in 2014 would be 420K shipped for the year, or 155.13M total.  That just passes the PS2 March 2012 number, and ~2M+ short of where the PS2 sits now.  In other words, it ain't happening.

Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:

The DS hasnt outsold the PS2. Neither has the DS Lite. The DSi didnt either. The DSi XL? Nope.

Do you realise that the DS only sold 30,000 units outside of America during the holidays? Do you? About ~240k outside of America during the entire Year of 2012? Do you just choose to not understand that the PS2 outshipped the DS during the first 9 Months of 2012?

Youre embarrasing Nintendo fans. The dream is over. Drop it. Pull your head out of the sand. Pull your fingers out of your ears. See sense. Youve been wrong on this for 3 Years. 3 Years! We all know how much this means to you. We all know how much you need the DS to pass the PS2. Just... Stop. Just... Save yourself.

You're making a fool of yourself again in completely ignoring my argument of DS STILL SELLING while PS2 DOES NOT.

Even a 5 years old kid would understand that the DS will sell a couple more millions in the upcoming 1 or 2 years while PS2 won't.

You're also completely irrelevant when talking about shipping figures and totally in delusion if you really think PS2 outsold DS last year. lol

It's been 3 years now that you are hysterical each time someone is saying DS has outsold PS2 or will eventually outsell it. 3 years! Get over it man, PS2 is now #2.

And to take your own words, why ''do you choose to not understand'' that it tooks 50% less time for the DS to reach PS2 LT sales or that DS were not given away with phone contract or replaced because of some DRE death...Does it really matter IF PS2 still 1 or two million ahead?

We are only talking about a console sales, don't get emotional like that, you're only looking ridiculous.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:

Oh and one last thing, you are claiming that DS only sold 30,000 units outside America during the holidays and about 240k for the entire year of 2012? Really?

I only verified how much it sold for the week ending Dec. 15, 2012 in Europe and it sold 66,619 only for that week.

Nevermind, I guess I cannot discuss seriously with a person totally hysterical who refuse to see reality and come up with numbers he took from his imagination.

atma998 said:
Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:

You're making a fool of yourself again in completely ignoring my argument of DS STILL SELLING while PS2 DOES NOT.

Even a 5 years old kid would understand that the DS will sell a couple more millions in the upcoming 1 or 2 years while PS2 won't.

You're also completely irrelevant when talking about shipping figures and totally in delusion if you really think PS2 outsold DS last year. lol

It's been 3 years now that you are hysterical each time someone is saying DS has outsold PS2 or will eventually outsell it. 3 years! Get over it man, PS2 is now #2.

And to take your own words, why ''do you choose to not understand'' that it tooks 50% less time for the DS to reach PS2 LT sales or that DS were not given away with phone contract or replaced because of some DRE death...Does it really matter IF PS2 still 1 or two million ahead?

We are only talking about a console sales, don't get emotional like that, you're only looking ridiculous.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

thismeintiel said:
atma998 said:

You do realize that Nintendo didn't revise their projected shipments for the DS for the FY, right?  That means they only expect to ship 150K in Q1 2013.  That's a 67% drop YOY.  For the full year of 2012, they also only shipped 2.61M, a 60% drop from the previous year.  If that happens again this year, it would end the year with 1.04M, for a total of 154.71M.  That is still 390K short of the where the PS2 sat in March 2012.  Another 60% drop in 2014 would be 420K shipped for the year, or 155.13M total.  That just passes the PS2 March 2012 number, and ~2M+ short of where the PS2 sits now.  In other words, it ain't happening.

You bring some good points here. The thing is we said the exact same thing with the PS2 3 years ago and it sold some extra millions in the emerging markets until 2012. The same will probably happens with the DS. If the PS2 had a 12 years lifespan (including 6 years after its successor was released), I don't see how the DS cannot at least have a 10 years old lifespan and sell at least 3 or 4 years after it successor is released. And these are some low projections.

atma998 said:
Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:

The DS sold 22,855 this week and you don't see why it's unlikely to outsell the PS2? That number is going to drop even further in the coming months. I couldn't say it was 'impossible' (depending on how long the DS is on the market for) but it IS very unlikely IF the trend down continues. Again, I don't say it's 'impossible' just 'improbable', and shouldn't we be comparing the Wii sales to the other console sales? The Wii is currently number one, so there's a straight forward 'victory' for what it's worth ... but don't discount the PS3 eventually catching that up either :)

Attoyou said:
atma998 said:
Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:

[Insert some crappy gifs here to show I don't have any argument]