By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has DS passed PS2 yet?

atma998 said:
Attoyou said:
atma998 said:
Attoyou said:
atma998 said:
Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:
Well the thing is there are still new DS games launching in 2013 and there may even be some new launches in 2014. Nintendo is still producing DS and it's selling good numbers in emerging market (probably as much if not more than what PS2 did in the past few years over there). DS is still selling decent in NA and Europe.

On the other hand, there is no new game release for PS2 anymore. Sony confirmed they have stopped producing it and the console is selling pretty marginal numbers (even in the emerging markets) as of now. Seriously I did not see a PS2 on shelf since at least 2 or 3 years ago and I spoke with people from South America (no fanboys) and they confirmed that PS2 is not selling anymore over there while DS is still seeling good.

I seriously don't see how it won't outsell PS2, unless you're in total delusion. lol

Anyway it does not really matter anymore since if you think about how many PS2 were bundled with phone contracts and how much phats died with the disk read error death it is clear that DS is #1 since at least 2 years.

Oh my, this is the best one yet.

The DS hasnt outsold the PS2. Neither has the DS Lite. The DSi didnt either. The DSi XL? Nope.

Do you realise that the DS only sold 30,000 units outside of America during the holidays? Do you? About ~240k outside of America during the entire Year of 2012? Do you just choose to not understand that the PS2 outshipped the DS during the first 9 Months of 2012?

Nintendo shipped ~2.6 Million DS' in 2012.
Sony shipped ~3 Million PS2's in 2012.

Youre embarrasing Nintendo fans. The dream is over. Drop it. Pull your head out of the sand. Pull your fingers out of your ears. See sense. Youve been wrong on this for 3 Years. 3 Years! We all know how much this means to you. We all know how much you need the DS to pass the PS2. Just... Stop. Just... Save yourself.

You're making a fool of yourself again in completely ignoring my argument of DS STILL SELLING while PS2 DOES NOT.

Even a 5 years old kid would understand that the DS will sell a couple more millions in the upcoming 1 or 2 years while PS2 won't.

You're also completely irrelevant when talking about shipping figures and totally in delusion if you really think PS2 outsold DS last year. lol

It's been 3 years now that you are hysterical each time someone is saying DS has outsold PS2 or will eventually outsell it. 3 years! Get over it man, PS2 is now #2.

And to take your own words, why ''do you choose to not understand'' that it tooks 50% less time for the DS to reach PS2 LT sales or that DS were not given away with phone contract or replaced because of some DRE death...Does it really matter IF PS2 still 1 or two million ahead?

We are only talking about a console sales, don't get emotional like that, you're only looking ridiculous.

[Insert some crappy gifs here to show I don't have any argument]

[Insert some crappy argument to show i dont know what the hell im talking about]

Carl and others have already made the arguments and you proved that its all pointless because you want to live in fantasy land. Pass the PS2 or not i dont care, watching you go in circles is far better. Keep on keeping on. 

''you want to live in fantasy land.'' said the guy with a wrestling video in his sig. hahaha

You must be tired or something... cause you arent reading well, and now your seeing things. Thats was a gif, just for you. 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network
atma998 said:
Well enough time wasted here for tonight. Have fun in your delusion guys.

Yes, the delusion of factually accurate data.  I know you aren't fond of that.

mai said:

When someone mentiones DS passing PS2, people are getting defensive :D

Personally, I find it amusing that DS even reached that number, given how historically handhelds sell only fraction of what home consoles were selling.

Huh?  The NES sold ~62M, while the Gameboy sold almost twice that, ~119M.  The GBA sold ~82M, more than Gamecube's ~22M and Xbox's ~24M.  And the DS has outsold all home consoles from this gen.  So no, it's much more surprising that the PS2 reached >157M, as it has actually outsold both the handhelds that started in its gen, while being much more expensive.

thismeintiel said:
mai said:

Personally, I find it amusing that DS even reached that number, given how historically handhelds sell only fraction of what home consoles were selling.

Huh?  The NES sold ~62M, while the Gameboy sold almost twice that, ~119M.  The GBA sold ~82M, more than Gamecube's ~22M and Xbox's ~24M.  And the DS has outsold all home consoles from this gen.  So no, it's much more surprising that the PS2 reached >157M, as it has actually outsold both the handhelds that started in its gen, while being much more expensive.

Split the sales yearly (or any other time sampling you'd like) and you'll see what you didn't seem to get in my post, or maybe I worded it badly.

Actually a while ago I did a graph on yearly sales -- handhelds combined vs. home consoles combined starting from 1989 -- and posted it here just to have a graphical visualization of my point. It is probably still somewhere here, deep down into the depths of VGC forum. Handhelds sales starting from 2006 look like huge bump on this graph that more or less even them (first time in history) with home consoles sales (mostly due to DS obviously).

//So it pretty much shows what a beast DS was, as how fast it was selling. It did beat some previous handhelds records as well, like attach rate (not quite console level attach rate, but quite big one for a handheld of this popularity, smaller userbases tend to have bigger attach rates most of the time).

mai said:
thismeintiel said:
mai said:

Split the sales yearly (or any other time sampling you'd like) and you'll see what you didn't seem to get in my post, or maybe I worded it badly.

Actually a while ago I did a graph on yearly sales -- handhelds combined vs. home consoles combined starting from 1989 -- and posted it here just to have a graphical visualization of my point. It is probably still somewhere here, deep down into the depths of VGC forum. Handhelds sales starting from 2006 look like huge bump on this graph that more or less even them (first time in history) with home consoles sales (mostly due to DS obviously).

That's the most ridiculous comparison.  Talk about apples to oranges.  Of course if you combine home console sales of ALL consoles it will be more than handhelds, there are more of them.  Only since the PSP, has there been a competent non-Nintendo handheld on the market.  So, that is a skewed way of looking at the data to support your comment.  The fact is, Nintendo's handhelds have always out performed their home console counterparts.  That is until the PS2 came along.

Around the Network

thismeintiel said:

That's the most ridiculous comparison.  Talk about apples to oranges.  Of course if you combine home console sales of ALL consoles it will be more than handhelds, there are more of them.  Only since the PSP, has there been a competent non-Nintendo handheld on the market.  So, that is a skewed way of looking at the data to support your comment.  The fact is, Nintendo's handhelds have always out performed their home console counterparts.  That is until the PS2 came along.

Please do not involve me into your fanboy wars.

What I was trying to do at the time is to see the market capacity and how it growed. The market capacity is smth that have limits, if console #1 occupies some part fo it, it makes the sales of console #2 more problematic. Here goes your "more of them" argument. There're a lot of things that might grow the market outside of efforts made by actual competitors, but it undeniable that DS has grown the market. I'm interested in trends, while actual numbers -- a million more or less, did it pass PS2 or not -- you may discuss all you want, do not care. Doesn't change the fact.

That's why I wrote what I wrote. DS reaching that number is smth quite more amusing for me than PS2 reaching it's current lifetime sales. But that depends on perspective, I guess :D

//I'm not sure why your brought up PSP over here, but for the record it was, Game Gear. Hightest marketshare it ever reached against Game Boy was 25%, not quite PSP but very respectable, it got dwarfed eventually as it dies out while GB(C) kept selling. Your mistake is you operate with lifetime sales numbers, while time sampling will give you a different perspective, and a good one.

atma998 said:
Well enough time wasted here for tonight. Have fun in your delusion guys.

Ill just reply to this one. The numbers you are using arent fact. VGChartz numbers are NEVER fact. Ive told you this before. ioi himself, the owner of VGChartz, has said that VGC numbers are not fact. Please understand that. The VGChartz numbers currently have the DS selling more units than Nintendo have made available.

The other point - Nintendo DID only sell 30,000 DS' outside of America. This number comes from NINTENDO. Its not made up. Go check the financials. Nintendo actually disagree with you. Ignore the VGChartz estimations. Listen to Nintendo.

The other point - Nintendo simply isnt popular in the expanded markets. Eastern Europe, India, Middle East, South America, Africa, Asia w/o Japan. They never have been and they have barely tried to push any console there, while Sony have always tried to push products to these markets. The PS2 is affordable and it has one of the best libraries ever in terms of games.

Which leads me to another point - Sony really did sell more PS2s in 2012 than Nintendo did DS'. The numbers are there. Theyre easy to work out and theyre easy to find. Sony and Nintendo cannot lie about these numbers. Either PS2 sold more than the DS did in 2012, or the PS3 is undertracked by ~2m units. We KNOW that the PS3 isnt under by that much, thanks to Nintendo's charts.

Please actually read that and do the research.

That is anybody's guess, since there seems to be no concrete data. There are basically three camps; those that believe DS has ALREADY passed PS2 (hardcore Nintendo fans), those that believe it has not yet passed it, but will soon (logical assumption), and those that believe it NEVER will pass it (hardcore Sony fans). I count myself in the second category :P

pezus said:
Metallicube said:

That is anybody's guess, since there seems to be no concrete data. There are basically three camps; those that believe DS has ALREADY passed PS2 (hardcore Nintendo fans), those that believe it has not yet passed it, but will soon (logical assumption), and those that believe it NEVER will pass it (hardcore Sony fans). I count myself in the second category :P

First camp can easily be proved wrong, so I don't see why anyone would be there. Second camp is on the losing side and third camp on the winning side .

So you think it's likely DS will not pass PS2, even though DS is 4 years younger, has more games yet to be released, and is still in production while PS2 is not? I think that's a long shot. Might take awhile, might even take 5 years or so, but I think DS passing PS2 is inevitable at this point. One important factor people forget is that Nintendo still has room for a pretty significant price drop, not to mention the holiday seasons to come, which tend to favor Nintendo.

No.