By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has DS passed PS2 yet?

No and IMO it shall never,

Around the Network
mai said:

When someone mentiones DS passing PS2, people are getting defensive :D

Personally, I find it amusing that DS even reached that number, given how historically handhelds sell only fraction of what home consoles were selling.

huh?  Gameboy 100 million, Gameboy Advance 80 something million (in a very short time on market) and DS 155 million (about).  Before this gen only 2 consoles had sold 70 million

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
mai said:

When someone mentiones DS passing PS2, people are getting defensive :D

Personally, I find it amusing that DS even reached that number, given how historically handhelds sell only fraction of what home consoles were selling.

huh?  Gameboy 100 million, Gameboy Advance 80 something million (in a very short time on market) and DS 155 million (about).  Before this gen only 2 consoles had sold 70 million

We've just discussed it, read few posts below.

pezus said:
Metallicube said:
pezus said:
Metallicube said:

That is anybody's guess, since there seems to be no concrete data. There are basically three camps; those that believe DS has ALREADY passed PS2 (hardcore Nintendo fans), those that believe it has not yet passed it, but will soon (logical assumption), and those that believe it NEVER will pass it (hardcore Sony fans). I count myself in the second category :P

First camp can easily be proved wrong, so I don't see why anyone would be there. Second camp is on the losing side and third camp on the winning side .

So you think it's likely DS will not pass PS2, even though DS is 4 years younger, has more games yet to be released, and is still in production while PS2 is not? I think that's a long shot. Might take awhile, might even take 5 years or so, but I think DS passing PS2 is inevitable at this point. One important factor people forget is that Nintendo still has room for a pretty significant price drop, not to mention the holiday seasons to come, which tend to favor Nintendo.

PS2 is still in production, shipped more than DS in 2012 etc. So yeah. Nintendo aren't going to support DS for 5 more years, especially when it's already shipping less than PS2 is now.

Like has been said in this thread, the only place where DS even sells anymore is USA, and the sales there are dropping fast. The holiday season is largely irrelevant for such old hardware, and PS2 outships DS all year up to the holiday season.

I also don't get why PS2 is discontinued in Japan while DS is still there.  PS2 was doubling its numbers there before it got discontinued if I remember right.

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

In the end DS easily will outsold it. PS2 shipment stopped worldwide. DS continue to sell.

"Considering in Japan it was outselling DS by the end we should expect a DS discontinuation soon."

lol, in Japan Nintendo not shipping DS in big numbers from 2011. And DS sold 32m in Japan while PS2 at just 22 or so. 10m gap - PS2 may sell 1K/week but it never outsold DS in Japan. Go learn math, man.

Around the Network

offcourse YES.....

DS whill survive again. maybe 2 year

Meret said:

In the end DS easily will outsold it. PS2 shipment stopped worldwide. DS continue to sell.

"Considering in Japan it was outselling DS by the end we should expect a DS discontinuation soon."

lol, in Japan Nintendo not shipping DS in big numbers from 2011. And DS sold 32m in Japan while PS2 at just 22 or so. 10m gap - PS2 may sell 1K/week but it never outsold DS in Japan. Go learn math, man.

I wasn't talking lifetime sales I was talking week to week.  Why would they keep giving it shelf space if it's only selling 400 a month while PS2 was selling 900 and they got rid of it.

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:

I also don't get why PS2 is discontinued in Japan while DS is still there.  PS2 was doubling its numbers there before it got discontinued if I remember right.

Nintendo shipped 0 units of the DS to Japan last quarter, and 10k in the last 9 months.  It might as well be discontinued.

Metallicube said:

So you think it's likely DS will not pass PS2, even though DS is 4 years younger, has more games yet to be released, and is still in production while PS2 is not? I think that's a long shot. Might take awhile, might even take 5 years or so, but I think DS passing PS2 is inevitable at this point. One important factor people forget is that Nintendo still has room for a pretty significant price drop, not to mention the holiday seasons to come, which tend to favor Nintendo.

The end of March will mark the end of the ninth fiscal year that the DS has been released in the main three markets.  Nintendo's forecast is 2.3 million shipped.

In the ninth fiscal year of full release the PS2 shipped 7.9 million units.  If we count the fact that it released in Japan in the previous fiscal year then it would be 13.7 million in its ninth fiscal year.  Three years later it was still doing 4.1 million in a fiscal year, 78% more than Nintendo expects for the DS this FY.

In their earnings report, Nintendo listed no first party games coming to the DS in 2013, 1 3rd party game in the US, 4 in Europe, and 0 in Japan.  These games are...

The Croods: Prehistoric Party!
Everything's Rosie
Jewel Link Safari Quest
Raa Raa The Noisy Lion

So which of these games is going to push DS sales for the next five years?

The DS is not the PS2, and is not going to last 5 more years.  By then we'll probably have a 3DS successor.

I will assume it has since Sony is too butt hurt to separate PS3/PS2 and PSV/PSP numbers.