By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Clear up confusion on what makes Next-Generation

Mazty said:

So how much of a difference has a touchscreen made in things like CoD and Darksiders?

You argue with last gen-games? How much difference an analog-stick makes for MegaMan?

The real question is: can last-gen consoles play Nintendoland? No, they can't.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

This whole discussion is stupid. What makes a generation is not up for debate. If people want to define it in their own head differently that what the rest of the world does, no one can stop them, but generations are easily defined by most of the world. For those struggling with it, I pity you. The way the rest of us define it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

So most of the reason for any debate comes from the recent release of WiiU and detractors saying it isn't "8th gen". Yes, yes it is. Now, if you want to say it's an 8th gen console that performs like a 7th gen console from MS or Sony, fill your boots. But it is an 8th gen console.

JayWood2010 said:

I honestly never knew this was up for debate or that people was confused on what Next-Generation meant.  I guess some people don't consider WiiU Next-Generation, i don't know.  Anyways with the recent thread asking what makes it next gen made by Mazty I'm going to go ahead and clear that up for you.  I also want to point out 7th generation just signifies how many gens games has been through since it has began while technically some consoles are only going on their 3rd generation like xbox.  XBOX entered the 6th generation of games but it was in it's first generation.  They are two different things and does not signify power or innovation. We are going into the 8th generation of games, not the 8th generation of a specific company's console.

Next generation is simply the next step in technology for that company.  For example PS1 to PS2, XBOX to X360, PSP to PSV, and now Wii to WiiU.  

Xbrawl also made this comment which will help further explain this subject.

This is true, and it was the same thing when the Wii launched. Nintendo could release something that was only marginally more powerful than the Wii, and if they intended to go head to head with the next Xbox and Play Station, it would still be next gen. It's their offering to the next generation of consoles. It doesn't matter how damned powerful the console is. What if the Nextbox is 2x as powerful as the WiiU, and the PS4 is 2x as powerful as the Nextbox. Are they all in 3 different generations? Then how do we categorize them? 

In short: A console's generation is determined solely on which consoles it is in primary competition with.
Gen3: NES, Master System, Atari 7800
Gen4: SNES, Genesis
Gen5: N64, Saturn, PS1
Gen6: GCN, Xbox, PS2
Gen7: Wii, X360, PS3
Gen8: WiiU, X720, PS4 

So yes WiiU is next generation.  Power and innovation has nothing to do with it.  Now let's read a definition of what Next-Generation means.

Next-Generation pertaining to the next generation in a family; also, pertaining to the next stage of 

development or version of a product, service, or technology

Nice, but you are wrong.

I say this with confidence because anything else that uses the term "generation" realies on one tings; being better than the previous generation (not model, but generation).

Take fighter jets or nuclear reactors. For a fighter jet to be 5th gen, it needs to be stealth, a certain level of maneuverability, carry a payload etc. The same is for NReactors - they have to achieve a certain power output, waste production etc, but most importantly, both have to be cutting edge and never achieved before. Many were designed decades ago, but not made because they were to advanced.

Release date has nothing to do with generation.

So why would consoles be the special exception?

TheJimbo1234 said:
JayWood2010 said:

I honestly never knew this was up for debate or that people was confused on what Next-Generation meant.  I guess some people don't consider WiiU Next-Generation, i don't know.  Anyways with the recent thread asking what makes it next gen made by Mazty I'm going to go ahead and clear that up for you.  I also want to point out 7th generation just signifies how many gens games has been through since it has began while technically some consoles are only going on their 3rd generation like xbox.  XBOX entered the 6th generation of games but it was in it's first generation.  They are two different things and does not signify power or innovation. We are going into the 8th generation of games, not the 8th generation of a specific company's console.

Next generation is simply the next step in technology for that company.  For example PS1 to PS2, XBOX to X360, PSP to PSV, and now Wii to WiiU.  

This is true, and it was the same thing when the Wii launched. Nintendo could release something that was only marginally more powerful than the Wii, and if they intended to go head to head with the next Xbox and Play Station, it would still be next gen. It's their offering to the next generation of consoles. It doesn't matter how damned powerful the console is. What if the Nextbox is 2x as powerful as the WiiU, and the PS4 is 2x as powerful as the Nextbox. Are they all in 3 different generations? Then how do we categorize them? 

In short: A console's generation is determined solely on which consoles it is in primary competition with.

So yes WiiU is next generation.  Power and innovation has nothing to do with it.  Now let's read a definition of what Next-Generation means.

Next-Generation pertaining to the next generation in a family; also, pertaining to the next stage of 

Nice, but you are wrong.

I say this with confidence because anything else that uses the term "generation" realies on one tings; being better than the previous generation (not model, but generation).

Take fighter jets or nuclear reactors. For a fighter jet to be 5th gen, it needs to be stealth, a certain level of maneuverability, carry a payload etc. The same is for NReactors - they have to achieve a certain power output, waste production etc, but most importantly, both have to be cutting edge and never achieved before. Many were designed decades ago, but not made because they were to advanced.

So wiiU is not an upgrade to Wii?  If you are talking about current technology all coonsoles will still be years behind PC no matter what they do unless they want to release a $1000+ console

JayWood2010 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Nice, but you are wrong.

So wiiU is not an upgrade to Wii?  If you are talking about current technology all coonsoles will still be years behind PC no matter what they do unless they want to release a $1000+ console

True, the consoles are years behind the PC, but this is why the PCs don't come in generations and only the consoles are benchmarked against each other.

The WiiU is an upgrade to the Wii, but the Wii was in an odd position. The console hardware was dire, but the controller was pretty modern and no one had tried anything like it before, thus it was truly on the fence as it gave with one had and took with the other.

The WiiU however, is rather poor for today. The hardware is very dated, and compared to phones and tablets aka current technology, the pad is rather poor. This means it does nothing new, and nothing well AND could have been made 3 years ago, maybe 4 at a push. 

Now we don't know what Sony and MC will do and how advanced they will be, but going on the power of the WiiU compared to current consoles and demo'ed tech + rumours (the MC projector & the PS4 being a possible powerhouse), the WiiU is possibly going to look like the kid with down syndrome in the corner that tried too hard and just ended pooing himself rather than doing anything well.

Around the Network
TheJimbo1234 said:
JayWood2010 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Nice, but you are wrong.

True, the consoles are years behind the PC, but this is why the PCs don't come in generations and only the consoles are benchmarked against each other.

The WiiU is an upgrade to the Wii, but the Wii was in an odd position. The console hardware was dire, but the controller was pretty modern and no one had tried anything like it before, thus it was truly on the fence as it gave with one had and took with the other.

The WiiU however, is rather poor for today. The hardware is very dated, and compared to phones and tablets aka current technology, the pad is rather poor. This means it does nothing new, and nothing well AND could have been made 3 years ago, maybe 4 at a push. 

Now we don't know what Sony and MC will do and how advanced they will be, but going on the power of the WiiU compared to current consoles and demo'ed tech + rumours (the MC projector & the PS4 being a possible powerhouse), the WiiU is possibly going to look like the kid with down syndrome in the corner that tried too hard and just ended pooing himself rather than doing anything well.

Wouldnt it be the first to have a controler gamepad for a-symetrical gaming?  Im pretty sure that is new hardware.

Anyways if you dont agree with me that's fine, i respect your opinion.  Welcome to vgchartz btw :)

JayWood2010 said:

Exactly, the Wii U is not next-gen.

JayWood2010 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Wouldnt it be the first to have a controler gamepad for a-symetrical gaming?  Im pretty sure that is new hardware.

Anyways if you dont agree with me that's fine, i respect your opinion.  Welcome to vgchartz btw :)

Yes, but that is neither radical, innovative, or technologically hard. If anything it is a step backwards. All you are doing is outputing a second image onto a very small screen rather than split screen, which actually requires less power from the console than if it was to do split screen due to small resolutions etc. It's an intresting idea, but to try to sell a console on that feature when everyone now has a smartphone, tablet, and/or laptop is weird and really risky. But hey, I'll guess we'll know for sure in a years time!

And thanks for the welcome :D

Mnementh said:
NightDragon83 said:
True dat. Although Nintendo has really tested the boundaries of what defines a "next-generation" console since their last two consoles both utilized previous-gen technology.

"Previous-gen-tech" is laughable in the case of the Wii. Gamecube was together with XBox on top of gen 6. The Wii was way more powerful than gamecube. The Wii could show stuff, that was way ahead of gen 6. That XBOX360 and PS3 made a bigger jump tech-wise, doesn't mean the Wii employed prev-gen tech.

Now THAT is a laughable statement!  Other than a select few titles like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, most Wii games were nearly indistinguishable from GC and Xbox games.  Sure the Wii might have been pushing a few more polys behind the scenes and had slightly better lighting than the GC, but there are absolutely zero Wii games that the GC couldn't handle minus the motion controls of course.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Mnementh said:
NightDragon83 said:
True dat. Although Nintendo has really tested the boundaries of what defines a "next-generation" console since their last two consoles both utilized previous-gen technology.

"Previous-gen-tech" is laughable in the case of the Wii. Gamecube was together with XBox on top of gen 6. The Wii was way more powerful than gamecube. The Wii could show stuff, that was way ahead of gen 6. That XBOX360 and PS3 made a bigger jump tech-wise, doesn't mean the Wii employed prev-gen tech.

Now THAT is a laughable statement!  Other than a select few titles like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, most Wii games were nearly indistinguishable from GC and Xbox games.  Sure the Wii might have been pushing a few more polys behind the scenes and had slightly better lighting than the GC, but there are absolutely zero Wii games that the GC couldn't handle minus the motion controls of course.

But the select few titles are enough to show, that the Wii considerably is ahead of Gamecube. And really, the differences are bigger are what they seem in our memory, because we thought GC-games looked awesome back then (because they were in comparison to the competition) and Wii-games seem to look only slightly superior, because they look not so good in comparison to the competition.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]