By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MCV: "Devil May Cry fans to blame for DmC sales disappointment"

curl-6 said:

The changes to Dante are nowhere near as profound as the changes a character like Godzilla has been through. He hasn't one from selfless hero to cruel villain or anything. (Not saying you have to like the new guy)

And actually, I've seen pleny people write the game off with only the new look of Dante as the basis. if you're not one of them, more power to you.

If there's actual gameplay elements people find unpalatable, that's completely understandable. But if some personality and appearance changes to the main character are the only reason for not giving a video game a chance, then I just can't find that reasonable.

yeah....i just read zero's post, looks like a lot of the old fans are basing their opinions off of the demo.

Not that I blame them, its CAPCOM's fault for releasing a nasty demo whic doesn't showcase what the final game will be like. They just gave haters a reason to hate the game even more.

I'm betting that there are people who will not give the game a chance just because of the change in the character's appearance/personallity and yes, it is extremely un reasonable, but if they're really attached to the guy, then I can understand that. Much like how a lot of Kristen and that patersons guy are, they are so attached to those two that its just not healthy. When news broke out of kristen's ifidelity all hell broke lose and these fans were like WTF?! But hey, I get it.

So the reasoning may be unreasonable, but its still a reason and for those folks, its one hell of a deal breaker.  Much like how I wont buy DOA of they decided to reduce the boobies  sizes coz I love those boobies.

Around the Network
zero129 said:

This is true Capcom should of made sure the demo was much better then it turned out to be, but it wouldnt be the first demo i played that i thought was crap only to find out the full game is full of win, sleeping Dogs is another game that comes to mind that has a crappy demo but the full game was soo good.

But yeah i 100% get what your saying, but i hate how once its pointed out to people that the demo in no way is anywhere near as good as the full game they still dismiss your opinion even when they have not played the game. Imo they could at least go and rent the game to see the truth lulz x_x .

I also understand how some fans wouldnt like how dante has changed, but he does start to become more and more like the old dante as the game moves forword. and id say by the 2nd game he would be back to his old pizza loving self . Shame this game might be the last in the series as id of really liked to see where they take the story next :-/ .

Thats because haters gonna hate and CAPCOM just gave them the ammo that they need. Either that or some of the people just dont have the resources to risk buying a game that they think sucked because of the demo. Better to think that the final verison will suck also rather than regret not getting it after buying something else.

Rafux: "

Capcom wanted DmC to sell 5M initially: http://www.play.tm/news/31931/capcom-dmc4-s-2-7m-sales-not-enough-wants-5-from-reboot/

That was the whole point of westernize the franchise, to get the God of War audience and sell more, they will sell less than DMC4. Failure.

DMC3 and RE5 Special editions are not a good comparison because they were made for the same console the original titles came out. RE4 on the other hand first release on GC, then PS2 and then the special edition (Wii Edition) did came out for a new generation console at the time and it only sold because of the motion controls.

DMC4 was not a launch title, PS3 launch in 2006 and Xbox 360 in 2005. Games released in 2007 would be launch titles but DMC4 came out in 2008.

DMC2 was so bad it almost killed the franchise, sold a lot less than DMC1 thats why DMC3 initially didn't sell as well because fans were still burn by DMC2 but when they got to play it they discover it was the best and thats why the DMC3 Special Edition sold so well and overall DMC3 is the best selling title so far also DMC4 (2.73 M on PS3/360) has probably sold 2.99M (DMC1) with the PC version and digital downloads.

DmC dropped 80% in its second week, thats horrible. The people who wanted it had buy it already."

This is what Capcom originally said: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-22-dmc-devil-may-cry-interview

They never predicted sales of 5 mil. They said the series has the potential of selling 4 to 5 mil copies, thus they wanted to improve on DMC4s 2.7 mil sales.

They originally expected 2 mil for the first fiscal year which ends this year March 2013. They slashed those expectations to 1.2 mil. Like I said thats to do with the year or year decline in sales since DMC4 was released 5 years ago. The game would've been better off releasing early in the next generation of consoles in the same way DMC4 did. Which is what Square Enix looks like their doing with FF13V.

DMC2 didn't kill the franchise, a lot of things came from DMC2 into DMC3. Things like wall hike and dodge were integrated into DMC3's Trickster style. Dante's main weapon became the Rebellion replacing the Force Edge and Alastor from DMC1. The Chrono Heart was integrated into Dante's Devil Trigger which went on to become the Quick Silver style in DMC3:SE. Bloody Palace was introduced in DMC2 and became an important part of the game for future instalments. There are probably other things I haven't thought of as well.

Either way, if you want to make prophecies after two weeks of sales data then go ahead. I'm not making predictions after two weeks. The game hasn't come into the market in the same conditions DMC4 did which is why Capcom's initial sales expectations were wrong when they made them last year. Like I said the best option for Capcom is to do what they did with Resident Evil 4. I can't tell you if they will do that, but I would be careful of making predictions before the game has had a chance.

Edit: Mods, I'm not sure whats wrong, but I can't quote or edit posts properly.

@zero129

Here's a video review of the full game, not just the demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM-gEthxX2w

It points out the "flaws" of the game and arrives to the conclusion that the game is average at best. All of this, of course, is according to the reviewer's opinion. Now, could you please watch it and tell me exactly what makes this opinion invalid ? I know you will probably disagree, but there's a difference between disagreeing with an opinion and claiming it's wrong, so I want you to tell me exactly what invalidates his opinion, if anything does.

Given that there's no such a thing as a perfect game, that we're talking about many things that are subjective in nature, and that the game was already released, it seems ridiculous to me to argue that everyone who is against this game is just being ignorant about it, specially with no evidence whatsoever to support it. And if you don't really believe this, please stop throwing blanket statements about those who disagree with you and acknowledge the idea that others have valid opinions against this game.

Also, the idea that you have to play a game to know whether you'll enjoy or not is absolutely false, at least in this day and age. You can watch entire playthroughs of it on Youtube if you want, as well as reviews and many other related videos. You can see the aesthetic design and graphics, listen to the music, watch the story and gameplay, etc. Sure, it's true that you can't fully evaluate it without playing it because of some gameplay aspects, but you can know more than enough to decide whether you're interested in it, with more or less certainty depeding on how much information you have.

Or are you going to tell me that you buy or rent every game released to see if you like it or not ? That you never comment on any media without fully experience it ? That you don't have any kind of "filter" to choose what you're going to play next ? If so, you would be the first person I know, and probably not a human being...

Finally, let me just remind you guys that whatever excuse someone has to criticise people for not caring about a game does not excuse a sales flop, as this article implies. We, as consumers, are not morally obligated to buy every game released out there, or even just one where you slap the name of a franchise we previously enjoyed. It's the responsibility of the companies in charge of the creation of the game to appeal to us, as long as they want money from it. This is not me talking, it's capitalism. Hard to believe this needs to be said, but apparently it does...

seiya19 said:

@zero129

Here's a video review of the full game, not just the demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM-gEthxX2w

It points out the "flaws" of the game and arrives to the conclusion that the game is average at best. All of this, of course, is according to the reviewer's opinion. Now, could you please watch it and tell me exactly what makes this opinion invalid ? I know you will probably disagree, but there's a difference between disagreeing with an opinion and claiming it's wrong, so I want you to tell me exactly what invalidates his opinion, if anything does.

I watched a bit of the video. He dosen't review the game, he slams it using his own opinions as 'facts'.

He's wrong at 6.00 mins where is says the game provides you with less options. The game provides you more gameplay options than DMC3 and DMC4, since I've played all the previous games I know that for a fact. It seems to me he dosen't know much about the previous DMC games, because he says this reboot wasn't needed. DMC4 itself was a reboot of the series designed to focus on Nero and Kyrie as the new main characters.

This game is a reboot because Capcom didn't want to go down that road. Hes wrong when he says the game should've been an alternate reality. It was made clear DmC takes place in an alternate reality, which means either he didn't check the information or he knew it and deliberately omitted it.

You have a lot of these types of people who turn out not to know much about the series. Hes just another one of those people. It dosen't invalidate his review. It means thats an amateur player; which is why you should look at critical reviews who review games fairly.

Edit: Scratch that. I know what completely invalidate his review. At 6.20 mins (about that) he claims DmC is considerably slower than previous games. He 'proves' this showing DMC3. If you look at the DMC3 footage he shows, theres something different about it... Thats because its DMC3 running on Turbo Mode. So he's accidentally compared DmC to DMC3 running on Turbo Mode. Thats an amateur mistake. He clearly dosen't know much about the series.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
sales2099 said:
JGarret said:
sales2099 said:
Gotta say this is as it should be. This reinvention looks very uninspired and looks like a total douche. Old Dante had flair

Damn right

He looks like a prick in both types. Never thought a that a bishounen with silver hair would be seen as cool by the hivemind who generally hate Japanese male characters.

In all fairness, Dante looks like a guy which is rarely the case for Japanese male characters.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
outlawauron said:
sales2099 said:
JGarret said:
sales2099 said:
Gotta say this is as it should be. This reinvention looks very uninspired and looks like a total douche. Old Dante had flair

Damn right

He looks like a prick in both types. Never thought a that a bishounen with silver hair would be seen as cool by the hivemind who generally hate Japanese male characters.

In all fairness, Dante looks like a guy which is rarely the case for Japanese male characters.

This statement makes me sad Truck. He's no more masculine than Tidus.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

@A203D

He has played the previous games, as evidenced by his account videos. He even has one video for DMC3's Turbo mode, where he admits he didn't knew it existed before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQkOOFa89Po

And while he is comparing DMC3's turbo mode to DmC in the footage, he sort of acknowledges it by saying it would be nice to get a Turbo mode in DmC, although he doesn't know if it's possible. You can blame him for not explicitly say that the DMC3's footage is Turbo mode, but not more than that. He also claims that they introduced new weapons that are intended to be slow and mentions an input delay that is specially noticeable when shifting stances.

Also, I for one see it slower than previous DMC games from the footage, and I think it's because of how they made the animations more realistic. This may be better for some people, but personally, realism is the last thing I care about when I play a fantasy game... Or any game, for that matter... And of course, the 60 fps can give you a feel of it being "faster" because of how the movements flow, but yes, I know the PC version has that option.

It seems to me he dosen't know much about the previous DMC games, because he says this reboot wasn't needed.

Lots of other people that have played the previous games claim this reboot wasn't needed... And no, DMC4 is not a reboot. New lead characters alone does not a reboot make. It's still the same universe, still the same Dante appearing, still within the original canon.

Hes wrong when he says the game should've been an alternate reality.

No. He's clearly arguing that the game should've been treated as a spin-off, as Mega Man Battle Network was, even showing an image of said Mega Man. The main difference being that if this game were to be considered a spin-off, we would know that it's not supposed to be a replacement for the main franchise. That we could still get a Devil May Cry 5. And I remember there being mixed messages from the game's PR regarding what this game was supposed to be before its release... I've actually seen a few people still believing that this is a prequel of some sort...

He's wrong at 6.00 mins where is says the game provides you with less options. The game provides you more gameplay options than DMC3 and DMC4, since I've played all the previous games I know that for a fact.

How ? How the game provides you with more options with the removal of lock-on, directional inputs and styles ? When the game limits you to fight certain enemies with the angel/demon weapons ? And doesn't the game has less weapons than DMC3 at least ? That's what I've heard, although I could be wrong about it. I'm all ears. Or eyes... Whatever...

Well I guess most (hardcore lol) DMC fans just want the same DMC forever. I like when the formula gets shaken up a bit. Devil may cry needed the change honestly.

seiya19 said:

@A203D

He has played the previous games, as evidenced by his account videos. He even has one video for DMC3's Turbo mode, where he admits he didn't knew it existed before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQkOOFa89Po

And while he is comparing DMC3's turbo mode to DmC in the footage, he sort of acknowledges it by saying it would be nice to get a Turbo mode in DmC, although he doesn't know if it's possible. You can blame him for not explicitly say that the DMC3's footage is Turbo mode, but not more than that. He also claims that they introduced new weapons that are intended to be slow and mentions an input delay that is specially noticeable when shifting stances.

Also, I for one see it slower than previous DMC games from the footage, and I think it's because of how they made the animations more realistic. This may be better for some people, but personally, realism is the last thing I care about when I play a fantasy game... Or any game, for that matter... And of course, the 60 fps can give you a feel of it being "faster" because of how the movements flow, but yes, I know the PC version has that option.

It seems to me he dosen't know much about the previous DMC games, because he says this reboot wasn't needed.

Lots of other people that have played the previous games claim this reboot wasn't needed... And no, DMC4 is not a reboot. New lead characters alone does not a reboot make. It's still the same universe, still the same Dante appearing, still within the original canon.

Hes wrong when he says the game should've been an alternate reality.

No. He's clearly arguing that the game should've been treated as a spin-off, as Mega Man Battle Network was, even showing an image of said Mega Man. The main difference being that if this game were to be considered a spin-off, we would know that it's not supposed to be a replacement for the main franchise. That we could still get a Devil May Cry 5. And I remember there being mixed messages from the game's PR regarding what this game was supposed to be before its release... I've actually seen a few people still believing that this is a prequel of some sort...

He's wrong at 6.00 mins where is says the game provides you with less options. The game provides you more gameplay options than DMC3 and DMC4, since I've played all the previous games I know that for a fact.

How ? How the game provides you with more options with the removal of lock-on, directional inputs and styles ? When the game limits you to fight certain enemies with the angel/demon weapons ? And doesn't the game has less weapons than DMC3 at least ? That's what I've heard, although I could be wrong about it. I'm all ears. Or eyes... Whatever...

You're not wrong about the removal of options.  But DMC doesn't have any less weapons, but without the styles backing up the weapons you have far elss options.