By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U graphics power finally revealed - "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

Mazty said:
And I got banned for saying the Wii U wasn't next gen....

It was obvious from it's load power consumption that it was not next gen aka on par with the next-box and PS4. Nice to have it verified from a different source though.

do you work in sony and microsoft simultaneously? because you know all the info of nextbox and ps4? just asking if you are so sure with your statement

so wii is 6.5 generation?

Around the Network
pezus said:
Aielyn said:
pezus said:
"The answer is fairly straightforward - leaks tend to derive from development kit and SDK documentation and, as we understand it, this crucial information simply wasn't available in Nintendo's papers, with developers essentially left to their own devices to figure out the performance level of the hardware."

That's a great job, Nintendo. Well done

Why would you trust the claim of the article, given the general tone of the article itself? It seems to me that you should be taking it all with a grain of salt, given that we already know that the article is making a number of false claims, like the claim that people know the specs of the Wii U now.

This is one statement that is not hard to believe at all, given Nintendo's previous history with 3rd parties.

But if it were true, third party developers, especially the smaller ones that would most need that information, would have been publicly bitching and moaning over the lack of required information.

Scisca said:
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

very true, but looking at last gen - which console(s) got the most of 3rd party support?

Should give you a hint that it's not about sales either.

Wii - 100 mil

PS360 - 140 mil

So it is about sales. Most importantly about software sales though, not hardware, but still. Nobody wants to pay the same amount of money for a watered down port of what they can play on a different console. If PS4/Xbox8 will be simmilar to each other and quite close to what PC's offer, as the rummors say, the Wii U will be left out again no matter what Nintendo does. These are the rules of the game, Nintendo consciously ignores the rules and rightfully gets punished for it. They really can't complain, that's what happens when you decide to choose your own path.

Wii on it's peak: 52% market share and a lot lower dev costs.

It's not about sales.

I LOVE ICELAND!

pezus said:

That's a comforting way of looking at it

No, it's a realistic way of looking at it. What's comforting is the fact that you treat something that hasn't happened yet as a foregone conclusion. Which might bite you in the ass down the line.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Fine by me. I'll take hardware that's just somewhat more powerful than current gen.

Just give me HD Mario, Metroid, and Zelda and I'm straight!

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

Oooh, yes, you and your conspiracy theories =)

They are more reasonable than the belief that third parties are not biased against Nintendo and therefore it's Nintendo's fault when a Nintendo console doesn't receive good third party support. There's an enormous amount of prejudice when it comes to Nintendo consoles.

Did you ever read the story behind Tekken Tag Tournament 2's development for the Wii U? The director (or producer) proposed his ideas for the Wii U version to Nintendo and was surprised that Nintendo declined and insisted that they wanted a good game.

Third parties are not biased against Nintendo, Nintendo refuses to attract them. And why should they, Nintendo can make just as much money without third parties.

Nintendo does try to attract third parties. Wasn't Reggie trying to convince Rockstar to make GTA for Wii U? Don't you remember the Gamecube strategy of lending external studios their IP in return for an exclusive game?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Not surprising at all... looking at the likely specs and the power draw I had already estimated myself a raw power of about 376.6 GFLOPS. Some people insisted on saying like 500-600 due to who knows, some magic sauce. Oh well.

Anyways that's a bit better than last gen when Nintendo barely went ahead of the first Xbox with the Wii. 

Scisca said:
S.Peelman said:
SxyxS said:
Jumpin said:

For the last time, the argument of "Wii is not an 8th generation" console is an argument out of ignorance, and fails because of the ignorance. Look up "generation" in the dictionary. It has to do with the time of release, not how many hertz the processor is. Since the Wii U was released after the Wii and is the successor to the Wii, we can logically deduce that it belongs to the 8th generation of consoles, which also includes Vita and 3DS, and later the PS4, and Xbox 361.

depends on the point of view.

and the technicall point of view is more defined by moore's law than the time of release.

vita and 3ds are not eight generation.Game +Watch>gameboy>gameboy advance>DS>3ds(even if you count Virtual boy as handheld the 3ds is max. 5th gen .

There is no point of view.

If you are taller then your children are they somehow last gen? No, because they succeed you. Like Jumpin said, look the word up in the dictionary. This is the most ridiculous argument ever.

I have a different point of view. This is what I think about Wii and Wii U and which generations they really belong to.

Think about yourself in 30-40 years, when you're explaining to your grandson what a game console was ;) Now you give him all the consoles starting from the NES (let's just skip the older ones), Sega Master, SNES, Mega Drive, PSX, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast and so on up until Wii U, PS4 and X-box 8. You let the kid play every console for an hour and ask him to segregate the consoles into 6 generations. Where would the little kid put the Wii and the Wii U? Just basing on what he experienced, without any additional knowledge.

I think he would put the Wii right next to the PS2, GCN, Dreamcast and X-box. Wii U is still in the air, but so far my bet is he would put it together with PS3 and X-box 360.

This is the way I see this issue.

The little kid would be wrong, because he doesn't know any better...... and he is a little kid.....

I LOVE ICELAND!

So what is the final consensus of power in terms of gc/wii to Wii U in terms of duct tape ratio?

pezus said:
KungKras said:
Scisca said:

Wii - 100 mil

PS360 - 140 mil

So it is about sales. Most importantly about software sales though, not hardware, but still. Nobody wants to pay the same amount of money for a watered down port of what they can play on a different console. If PS4/Xbox8 will be simmilar to each other and quite close to what PC's offer, as the rummors say, the Wii U will be left out again no matter what Nintendo does. These are the rules of the game, Nintendo consciously ignores the rules and rightfully gets punished for it. They really can't complain, that's what happens when you decide to choose your own path.

Wii on it's peak: 52% market share and a lot lower dev costs.

It's not about sales.

I don't think Wii ever hit 50% market share. Where are you getting the 52% from?

you are correct, wii never hit 50%.  i remember the days when every 0.1% gain was celebrated with a thread and then every 0.1% loss started getting mocked.  i forget exactly the max percent but it was around 48%.