By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U graphics power finally revealed - "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

cyberninja45 said:
BlueFalcon said:
RolStoppable said:
It's not ridiculous when the only games you play rely on technological advancement. Don't brush off other people's opinion, just because you aren't a shallow gamer like them.

Look at some great PC indie games like Braid, Limbo, Bastion, Super Meatboy, Trine 2, Torchlight 1/2, etc. None of those games has mind-blowing graphics but they are beautiful artistically and fun to play. That said it doesn't mean we don't need next generation graphics. If graphics didn't advance, even those games woulnd't be possible. If graphics didn't advance Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye would never have been possible. It's also not just about graphics but you need more powerful hardware to render larger game worlds, with more NPCs and the CPU allows you to make the AI more advanced. It doesn't at all mean that games with outdated graphics are not playable. I have Sega Genesis collection and I enjoy games like Vectorman or Shinobi from time to time. However, a next generation console is a lot about next generation graphics too. Wouldn't you want a game like Legend of Zelda to have the option to have mature looking characters with mind-blowing graphics? It would be like playing Lord of the Rings movie in real time :)

You see the problem with relying on things like graphics, AI, larger game worlds etc, doesn't necessarily mean you get an improved game and I cannot stress that enough.

I can only speak for myself but I rather play a 16-bit gameplay masterpiece than a CGI looking game that plays like a turd, and from what I saw in the 7th gen the more emphasis that is placed on graphics the more gameplay suffers. To be honest most of the so called HD AAA titles I would not even give a second look given the chance, but with this gen I had to resort to playing them as they were the default.

I have yet to gain interest in the wiiU but i have faith nintendo would probably deliver in terms of gameplay, but if MS, Sony , 3rd parties continue to deliver those underwhelming games they can count me out. I guess I would have to stick to the 3ds for this upcoming gen if everyone fails to deliver, which I have no problem with so far, and guess how much powerful the 3ds is compared to those systems.

Exactly. The items in bold can add to a good game, but they cannot make a game good. A terrible game with great graphics is still a terrible game. It's kind of like watching the movie Avatar. At first you're like "wow, this looks AMAZING, this movie is GREAT!", and then you pay attention to the *abysmal* story and *awful* acting and realize it's just a steaming pile of poo with a nice paint job.

Around the Network
pezus said:
dahuman said:
pezus said:
archbrix said:

So yeah, I think if we get this or better on WiiU, most people will be quite pleased with that:

Watching this video again makes me really question Nintendo. Why couldn't they make Mario look half as good? Amazingly poor effort compared to this. I hope 3D Mario will look this stunning.

If you are talking about NSMBU then I say they made the right choice on that one.

What do you mean? They couldn't even make it 1080p despite its simple graphics, while this looks around 10 times better.

If you are talking about 720p vs 1080p, I agree, if you are talking about upping the graphics to like maxed out Crysis 3 on PC then fuuuuuuck no! lol, that's not what 2D Mario is about.

BlueFalcon said:
timmah said:
Yep, finally got it to work. My comment box was going insane (when I deleted a picture, it was deleting everything in the post, then not letting me type anything else), had to clear my browser cache to get it working right again.

Thanks! I just noticed a lot of people would quote these massive posts. I even felt bad posting all those pictures but I did it because I figured most people wouldn't bother clicking on those individual links. I guess I am most disappointed in Nintendo's strategy right now because it's clearly not working. I am disappointed because in my mind I saw that if Nintendo launched a $400-450 powerhouse console with traditional controls, dropped the BS barriers and crazy rules they have with 3rd party games regarding mature titles, they would have had the most desirable console of all next round. People say they tried this with the  Gamecube but it's not true. The Gamecube's design and controller colors even looked kiddish. And Nintendo's strict rules and regulations for 3rd parties were fully in effect in Gamecube's era. Nintendo hasn't designed a proper console with strong 1st and 3rd party support since SNES. I would even say the N64 was their last swan song for a great gaming console. Everything since then has been a catastrophic collapse in the eyes of people who grew up with them in the 80s and 90s like me. Really after getting a Genesis, I was no longer brain-washed by the Nintendo brand as I started to enjoy a wider variety of games. Since then I realized that Nintendo has to do more, a lot more, to attract future generation of gamers. Since N64 (and even then it already slacked in 3rd party support) every new console they released has been a major disappointment. At least N64 had such high value exclusives that it made up for it in the long-term for the most part. Not so with Gamecube or Wii. And now Wii U is just a repeat of the same I fear.

Actually Nintendo does give 3rd parties 100% freedom to develop any kind of game on Both the Wii U & 3DS. The only other video game system to that was the PS1.

Kaizar said:
Actually Nintendo does give 3rd parties 100% freedom to develop any kind of game on Both the Wii U & 3DS. The only other video game system to that was the PS1.

It's not just freedom to develop a certain game, but about the process/validation, etc. Nintendo is super strict and there are a lot of barriers that MS/Sony do not pose to the same extent. I am not going to search for links but many developers have publicly stated working with Nintendo was terrible and some of them would never do it again. Let's not even discuss certain changes made to games in NES/SNES era to make them less gory / less mature to appeal to younger audiences. Mortal Kombat on SNES was pretty much a fail for this reason alone compared to the Genesis version.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted developer Criterion claims that the extra memory in the Wii U is allowing it to deliver PC-quality textures and assets that are “notably” better looking than on the 360/PS3. The developer claims that it is by far the best-looking version of the game because of the additional system memory.

The increased visual quality is apparent in the draw distance detail and lighting. The Wii U version using the PC assets is a big advantage. The Wii U version is far more than a vanilla port of the game; instead, it takes full advantage of the Wii U GamePad and hardware to deliver a better experience, with new things like the Co-Driver mode, for example, that allows the second player to turn traffic on or off and alter the time of day as well as the piloting routes for the driver.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30457-nfs-most-wanted-looks-better-on-wii-u?

^ Well that's the end of it then. NFS: MW will be the definitive proof that Wii U is a more powerful console than PS360.

Around the Network

Looks like Criterion is a dev that actually deserves respect, who would ve though..

BlueFalcon said:
Kaizar said:

It's not just freedom to develop a certain game, but about the process/validation, etc. Nintendo is super strict and there are a lot of barriers that MS/Sony do not pose to the same extent. I am not going to search for links but many developers have publicly stated working with Nintendo was terrible and some of them would never do it again. Let's not even discuss certain changes made to games in NES/SNES era to make them less gory / less mature to appeal to younger audiences. Mortal Kombat on SNES was pretty much a fail for this reason alone compared to the Genesis version.

Well, I know the 3DS might be getting "Binding of Isaac" even though it has failed the first time, but the publisher says that they still have a good chance of bringing the game to the 3DS.

And the Wii U has a deal with a certain site or whatever that always make it so everyday people can create their own indie games, that are now going to make their way to the Wii U.

And as I said the 3DS & Wii U can have way more mature content then Xbox & Playstation, which makes PS & Xbox the NES/SNES kind of consoles of this modern age.