By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U graphics power finally revealed - "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

BlueFalcon said:
cyberninja45 said:
I'm glad you posted those pics cause it kinda proves what people are saying about a massive technical visual difference compared to their personal artistic preferences for how a game should look

That's how those 2 games compare for me. Witcher 3 looks like a next generation game. Zelda in that pic looks like a 2007 PC game at best. Artistic preferences are different. I prefer Journey and Trine 2 artistically but games like Witcher 2/3/Metro 2033 blow those games away graphically. Technical graphics complexity is completely different from artistic preferences. 

The point is if you wanted to make Zelda to look mature like that Witcher 3 shot, you couldn't do it. It would not be possible on the Wii U.

If you wanted Zelda's water temple levels to look like this, it wouldn't be possible.

I'd rather have the option for developers to choose between artistic graphics representation and trying to make games look as close as possible to real life:

With the Wii U, there will be no such option because the console is underpowered. This means that developers won't really have a real choice to make due to Wii U's gimped hardware.

I knew exactly what I was saying when I quoted you I was not speaking about artistic preference, I mentioned artistic preference when I quoted JWeincom.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network
BlueFalcon said:
cyberninja45 said:
I'm glad you posted those pics cause it kinda proves what people are saying about a massive technical visual difference compared to their personal artistic preferences for how a game should look

That's how those 2 games compare for me. Witcher 3 looks like a next generation game. Zelda in that pic looks like a 2007 PC game at best. Artistic preferences are different. I prefer Journey and Trine 2 artistically but games like Witcher 2/3/Metro 2033 blow those games away graphically. Technical graphics complexity is completely different from artistic preferences. 

The point is if you wanted to make Zelda to look mature like that Witcher 3 shot, you couldn't do it. It would not be possible on the Wii U.

If you wanted Zelda's water temple levels to look like this, it wouldn't be possible.

I'd rather have the option for developers to choose between artistic graphics representation and trying to make games look as close as possible to real life:

With the Wii U, there will be no such option because the console is underpowered. This means that developers won't really have a real choice to make due to Wii U's gimped hardware.

you also have to consider that this is an open world game 20% bigger then skyrim, i would imagine zelda not even being 30% as big as skyrim, and even then when you see the pic in high resolution, it looks so much better then zelda wii graphiclly, and zelda wii u graphics are from a cutscene, not actual gameplay as well.

ninjablade said:
BlueFalcon said:
cyberninja45 said:

you also have to consider that this is an open world game 20% bigger then skyrim, i would imagine zelda not even being 30% as big as skyrim, and even then when you see the pic in high resolution, it looks so much better then zelda wii graphiclly, and zelda wii u graphics are from a cutscene, not actual gameplay as well.

I have to ask do you consider the difference in graphics between these pics and zelda wiiU tech demo the same between say  skyrim and twilight princess?

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

I have to ask do you consider the difference in graphics between these pics and zelda wiiU tech demo the same between say  skyrim and twilight princess?

no i do not, but if you compare the final fantasy tech demo to the zelda tech demo, then yes.

ninjablade said:
... and zelda wii u graphics are from a cutscene, not actual gameplay as well.

It was still real-time graphics though, not pre-rendered.

Around the Network
archbrix said:
ninjablade said:

yes but real time cut scenes can look much better gameplay, you add more detail plus perfect IQ.

ninjablade said:
archbrix said:
ninjablade said:

yes but real time cut scenes can look much better gameplay, you add more detail plus perfect IQ.

Agreed, but historically when Nintendo has displayed Zelda in this fashion in the past (N64, Wind Waker), the end product has always exceeded the initial showing. Whether that happens here remains to be seen, but if it looks "just" as good as this, I'll be satisfied.

archbrix said:
ninjablade said:
archbrix said:
ninjablade said:

Agreed, but historically when Nintendo has displayed Zelda in this fashion in the past (N64, Wind Waker), the end product has always exceeded the initial showing. Whether that happens here remains to be seen, but if it looks "just" as good as this, I'll be satisfied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtAvX4Pkyk your talking about this, i think its looks much better then WW techincally, the animation is insane for its time and was the high poly count, although zelda twilight does look a bit better it took 6 years, the tech did some things better techincally.

ninjablade said:
archbrix said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtAvX4Pkyk your talking about this, i think its looks much better then WW techincally, the animation is insane for its time and was the high poly count, although zelda twilight does look a bit better it took 6 years, the tech did some things better techincally.

No, I'm talking about the first reveal of Wind Waker at Space World 2001:

... compared to the final game:

What you're talking about is the first showing of the Gamecube at Spaceworld 2000:

... and Twilight Princess trumped that as well overall:

And Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask absolutely dwarfed the original N64 demos shown:

So yeah, I think if we get this or better on WiiU, most people will be quite pleased with that:

yes twilight princess looked better overall but it took 6 years and it was still inferior in some things. what if nintendo pulls off a cell shaded zelda again, which a real possibilty, since they that with sky sword and WW