By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U graphics power finally revealed - "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

pezus said:
KungKras said:
Scisca said:

Wii - 100 mil

PS360 - 140 mil

So it is about sales. Most importantly about software sales though, not hardware, but still. Nobody wants to pay the same amount of money for a watered down port of what they can play on a different console. If PS4/Xbox8 will be simmilar to each other and quite close to what PC's offer, as the rummors say, the Wii U will be left out again no matter what Nintendo does. These are the rules of the game, Nintendo consciously ignores the rules and rightfully gets punished for it. They really can't complain, that's what happens when you decide to choose your own path.

Wii on it's peak: 52% market share and a lot lower dev costs.

It's not about sales.

I don't think Wii ever hit 50% market share. Where are you getting the 52% from?

Vgchartz and NPD data from around 2008. I said it from memory because I thought it was common knowledge around here. I'm sure people here who remember that time can verify it.

EDIT, no wait, I might have thought of 52 percent because 52 percent was the peak of the Sega Megadrive marketshare vs the SNES in 1993. Kitler might be right on that one.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

didn't copy it all cause you are lazy lol. i always copy all of an article. just aswell, cause i don't read long articles anyway lol.

this info is wrather interesting though.

Nintendo only has themselves to blame. Tech is the very reason why third parties left them for Sony nearly twenty years ago.

pokoko said:
Wow, this thread is a real battleground, isn't it? A lot of entrenched positions and preemptive strikes. I'm just going to ignore the generational arguments since I have no idea why people are so angry about hyperbole.

All I can say is, if this article is accurate, then it's a blow for those who wanted wide third-party support on the Wii U. It's not always bad being the lowest common denominator in terms of technology, not unless you're too low, at which point you get dropped--and I think the Wii U might be on the wrong side of the dropping point. Developers aren't going to hold back on content for the sake of one console.

What is strange about all of this is all the talk Nintendo has done about winning back the core gamer. What were they talking about, exactly? Simply that they were going to make their own games that are intended to be played with a controller? I suppose so, though that's borderline misleading. I don't think Nintendo is going to win many people back if they lack third-party support across the board.

And honestly, all this conspiracy talk sounds a little unreal. Developers have limited time, money, and manpower, which they try to spend as efficiently as possible. Any cost/profit analysis will tell you that it's better to develop for two consoles than for one, or to lower your production values to the point where your competition is obviously superior. That's what happened to the Wii, and what might happen to the Wii U. I really don't see businesspeople, wealthy and intelligent board members, sitting around nudging each other and whispering about how they're going to get back at a potential business partner for things that happened in the 1990s.

The ones who really suffer are those who wanted the Wii U to fulfill all their gaming needs, from first-party Nintendo games to third-party blockbusters. Those are the people I feel bad for, assuming the major developers skip the Wii U. They might have some difficult choices to make.

UE4 can be downscaled to phones, so the Wii U can run the engine because of similar architecture between the consoles. Will it look as good as the PS4 and 720? Of course not, but the job will be easier than the original Wii since with the Wii, 3rd parties had to make a game from the ground up. There's a rumor that Epic is making a game with the UE4 for the Wii U and the other next-gen consoles. This obviously remains to be seen.

Either way, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is giving up on multiplats at this point. Considering Bayonetta2, Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei, Rayman Legends (this will probably become a multiplat in the future), I'm almost certain that Nintendo strategy this gen is to get 3rd party exclusives "at all cost" (or at least time exclusivity like Ninja Gaiden 3). Imo this is a great idea since I buy consoles because of exclusive games, but that depends on the gamers opinion.

Nintendo and PC gamer

thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

So what you're saying is that Wii U will dominate 3rd party support? Weaker power and abysmal sales = 3rd party support?

No, I am telling you that the Wii U was never going to get much third party support, even if it's hardware were up to par to Sony's and Microsoft's eighth generation consoles and if it were the best selling eighth gen console on top of it.

What BS.  I guess that's why Nintendo got GREAT 3rd party support during the NES and SNES years?  Quit with the ridiculous conspiracy theories.  If Nintendo were willing to give 3rd party developers what they wanted, and sales for it were good enough, they would be getting plenty of support.

The 16-bit era was before Sony came in and changed the structure of the industry........ for the worse.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Flanneryaug said:
ethomaz said:
riderz13371 said:
Why the hell does the Wii U cost so much then? Is it because of the game pad thing?

Yeap the game pad is suposed to cost over $150.

Actually, that is not true. The gamepad costs $85 to replace if it is lost or broken.

Today that is still an arm and a leg for a controller. This means Nintendo owners must treat their controllers like their baby.

I stopped listening to EuroGamer when they said they could not accurately judge the resolution of MW3 from GTTV coverage due to the low resolution of the stream, then they went ahead and declared every Wii U game 720p or lower by doing that very thing.

They are inconsistent and have a clear-as-day bias in everything they write.

KungKras said:
thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

So what you're saying is that Wii U will dominate 3rd party support? Weaker power and abysmal sales = 3rd party support?

No, I am telling you that the Wii U was never going to get much third party support, even if it's hardware were up to par to Sony's and Microsoft's eighth generation consoles and if it were the best selling eighth gen console on top of it.

What BS.  I guess that's why Nintendo got GREAT 3rd party support during the NES and SNES years?  Quit with the ridiculous conspiracy theories.  If Nintendo were willing to give 3rd party developers what they wanted, and sales for it were good enough, they would be getting plenty of support.

The 16-bit era was before Sony came in and changed the structure of the industry........ for the worse.

Sonys tech was Nintendos vision for the industry, Sony just pushed the tech further and it caught the attention of the third parties.

thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

Because Nintendo was the only game in town in the NES era, and Sega was shit in Japan for the SNES era (the good Western 3rd party support all leaned in Genesis' favor).

There is no conspiracy. There's a bunch of individual haters, mostly localized in EA and their crony-studios, Zenimax and their subsidiaries, and Take Two and Rockstar. People who snub Nintendo consoles just because they can, and invent their own fiction to justify it to investors.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Flanneryaug said:
ethomaz said:
riderz13371 said:
Why the hell does the Wii U cost so much then? Is it because of the game pad thing?

Yeap the game pad is suposed to cost over $150.

Actually, that is not true. The gamepad costs $85 to replace if it is lost or broken.

Today that is still an arm and a leg for a controller. This means Nintendo owners must treat their controllers like their baby.

I actually do lol. Mainly because of the cost, and that it would take a while to get a replacement. It does cost a lot, but the cost should go down over time.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)