By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U graphics power finally revealed - "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

Flanneryaug said:
I doubt that they are. There is no way that it could cost $150 to make the gamepad. Nintendo selling the Wii U for $300 doesn't mean that the Wii U and Gamepad are made with over $300 worth of parts. You have to take R&D, shipping, assembly, and cut to retail into account. The original 3DS was made with $103 worth of parts, but Nintendo was taking a loss on it at $170.

The game pad price in Japan is over $170... in Europe over $150... in US Nintendo didn't sell the gamepad due the manufacture costs.

I think that tell the full story.

Around the Network
KungKras said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
KungKras said:
thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

So what you're saying is that Wii U will dominate 3rd party support? Weaker power and abysmal sales = 3rd party support?

No, I am telling you that the Wii U was never going to get much third party support, even if it's hardware were up to par to Sony's and Microsoft's eighth generation consoles and if it were the best selling eighth gen console on top of it.

What BS.  I guess that's why Nintendo got GREAT 3rd party support during the NES and SNES years?  Quit with the ridiculous conspiracy theories.  If Nintendo were willing to give 3rd party developers what they wanted, and sales for it were good enough, they would be getting plenty of support.

The 16-bit era was before Sony came in and changed the structure of the industry........ for the worse.

Sonys tech was Nintendos vision for the industry, Sony just pushed the tech further and it caught the attention of the third parties.

Third parties were reluctant to 3D at first and PS1 had a terrible launch line up. But the simple architecture and industrial strategy Sony used to drive down prices got them the confidence of the third parties, many of whom hated Nintendo since before (EA). When N64 didn't really catch on, Sony proved that Nintendo wasn't invincible, and third parties felt they never had to go back. Also, N64 had better tech than PS1, PS1 only had three advantages, and that was polygon count, storage, and easiness of programming, still a game like Ocarina of Time would have been impossible on the PS1.

Also, Nintendo rightfully envisions games as toys, not an industrialized entertainement medium like Sony.

Nintendo may have been a toy/game company in the past but their vision was to become a competent tech company to push the capabilities of gaming. It's because of their moto of being a child/family oriented company that held them back. They hired Sony to increase the cd based upgrades for their console to battle Sega. Nintendo was working with Ken Kutaragi behind Sony's back to make the tech and when Sony caught him working some of the higher ups defended him against other board members when he was to be punished. Sony made a deal with Nintendo and continued with Kutaragi making them the prototype, but they also saw that kutaragi was doing most of the work for Nintendo and wanted a proper cut of the money from the work that was put in in legal writing. When Nintendo found out about Sony's demands as a company they left them hanging before Nintendo was to reveal the product at CES. They worked with Panasonic in a relationship that had very little yeild compared to their relationship with Kutaragi. The playstation rid the third parties of Nintendos grip on third parties. Sega couldn't break Nintendos monopoly on third parties and Sony did it with great tech, more ram and CD's. Nintendo lost a lot of third parties because of continued lack of working with third parties in the west. Sony and Microsoft work with game companies in tandem when making their consoles while putting their own twist on the product, Nintendo does the opposite forcing devs to work with them.

PC in HTPC form factor is superior to anything consoles can provide, the fact that this platform is not preferred for so called hardcore gamers speaks volumes about them and their actual intelligence, those crazy fools bitching about graphics on one hand and playing years games on systems in sub HD resolution and poor framerate. the problem is they are unable to properly configure gaming PC, the most popular genre aka FPS existed years on PC with moderate impact on industry (sales wise) until required hardware became cheap and accessible enough to attract primitive crowd.

The console market was flooded by worst kind of humanity, for companies like Nintendo this became almost
unsolvable problem, they of course have no clue how handle this situation, if your competitors are playing with this card if they attracted the most wretched part of society, then you end with serious problems, console market was once family and early teenagers hobby and this was understandable.

But when Rambo crowd became actually mainstream, then there is dead end

Edit: not only PC provide superrior performance and quality but thanks to modification comunity it provide superrior value

ninjablade said:
for people saying power doesn't matter for third party support, why did metro last light decide to cancel there game after seeing wii u dev kit, i'm sure it's because they want to make an easy port cause that version will end up selling the worst, and with the nintendo specs, it won't be an easy port cause of the bottle necks.

You are talking about THQ, a company which you know...no longer exists. Of course this guys have other priorities other than making a Wii U port. Especially since the original game already had some delays and dev problems (they had problems running the game properly on the PS3 iirc).

Besides they were looking at early dev kits, they just didn't decided not it didn't made sense financially (even if it was easy to port).

Nintendo and PC gamer

ethomaz said:

Flanneryaug said:
I doubt that they are. There is no way that it could cost $150 to make the gamepad. Nintendo selling the Wii U for $300 doesn't mean that the Wii U and Gamepad are made with over $300 worth of parts. You have to take R&D, shipping, assembly, and cut to retail into account. The original 3DS was made with $103 worth of parts, but Nintendo was taking a loss on it at $170.

The game pad price in Japan is over $170... in Europe over $150... in US Nintendo didn't sell the gamepad due the manufacture costs.

Those prices are much higher, because they are selling them at retail. In 2006 it cost $11 to make an Xbox 360 controller, and they sold it for $50.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:
Not surprised... Nintendo has fucked us fans again.

They did the same with their handheld. The 3DS is ridiculously underpowered for an eighth gen handheld.

Not really. 3DS GPU is still better than that on 90% of the smartphones on the market today. When it was released, it was competitive against some higher-end smartphones. So, no, it isn't underpowered.

ethomaz said:

Flanneryaug said:

That's not a legit "source"...If the retail price is $100 it's still extremely expensive for a controller and of course they aren't going to sell it at stores because: 

1) People are still confused about the Wii and the Wii U, and I'm sure a lot of people are going to buy the Gamepad thinking is for the Wii...so Nintendo is saving themselves a couple of law sues.

2) No game at the moment supports more than 1 Gamepad, so unless your controller breaks (which you can send to repair) there's no reason to buy a second controller.

Also compering the price of Japan and Europe is very ambiguous because everything is more expensive there compare to the U.S. If Gamepad cost $150 in Europe then I can definitely see the controller in the U.S costing as low as $100 (yes a $50 difference is extremely possible between both)

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:

That's not a legit "source"...If the retail price is $100 it's still extremely expensive for a controller and of course they aren't going to sell it at stores because:

1) People are still confused about the Wii and the Wii U, and I'm sure a lot of people are going to buy the Gamepad thinking is for the Wii...so Nintendo is saving themselves a couple of law sues.

2) No game at the moment supports more than 1 Gamepad, so unless your controller breaks (which you can send to repair) there's no reason to buy a second controller.

Also compering the price of Japan and Europe is very ambiguous because everything is more expensive there compare to the U.S. If Gamepad cost $150 in Europe then I can definitely see the controller in the U.S costing as low as $100 (yes a $50 difference is extremely possible between both)

You don't understand... there is no GamePad being sell in US... you have only unique options that is the replace per $85 directly with Nintendo... you give to them the old gamepad and they give you a new per $85.

Nintendo itself said the GamePad is expensive to manufacture.

osed125 said:
ninjablade said:
for people saying power doesn't matter for third party support, why did metro last light decide to cancel there game after seeing wii u dev kit, i'm sure it's because they want to make an easy port cause that version will end up selling the worst, and with the nintendo specs, it won't be an easy port cause of the bottle necks.

You are talking about THQ, a company which you know...no longer exists. Of course this guys have other priorities other than making a Wii U port. Especially since the original game already had some delays and dev problems (they had problems running the game properly on the PS3 iirc).

Besides they were looking at early dev kits, they just didn't decided not it didn't made sense financially (even if it was easy to port).

first comment they said was the cpu was horribley slow, then they said they looked at it, worked on it and said forget about it, and reading DF they say that nintendo doesn't even give developers specs when working on the machine, they would have to figure out the specs using there own tools which is a very complicted process from what i read at beyond3d, it's not an easy port where you just drop a game code cause of the bottle necks, even gamecube had this problem with ps2 ports.

ethomaz said:

osed125 said:

You don't understand... there is no GamePad being sell in US... you have only unique options that is the replace per $85 directly with Nintendo... you give to them the old gamepad and they give you a new per $85.

Nintendo itself said the GamePad is expensive to manufacture.

I know they aren't selling the controller at stores...I was just given examples as to why the decided not to. 

Yes Nintendo said it was very expensive for a controller, iirc the 360 one cost like $20-$30 to manufacture and I imagine the Wiimote and the Dualshock are similar in price. So of course a $85 controller is more expensive...

Nintendo and PC gamer