By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U graphics power finally revealed - "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

That thread was locked as it was a poor explanation of the info being presented and still worked at GAF.

Look at what the article actually has as facts and you'll notice that 1/2 of the GPU still has no defined purpose yet. There's still a lot missing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511628

Read the OP of that thread and you'll notice its not as bad as the DF article suggests. In fact many at GAF are quite pissed at DF for selling it so short and labeling it as such.

Facts are the GPU is probably around 352 to 450GFLOPs. It has amazing efficiency and a lot of memory. Its likely 2x raw flops than 360 and the NXbox is like 3x WiiUs flops.

It has the same or similar tech base and is simply not as powerful / fast as the rest of next gen.

For perspective.... Wii * 20 = X360 *2 = WiiU * 3 = NXbox *1.5 = PS4. (according to flops on GPU, of course there are many other factors)

"Next-Gen" has a variance similar to PS2/GC/XBox generation and in short only THE most demanding games would likely have a technical reason to skip WiiU but in reality Rol is likely right and it won't matter what as 3rd parties will go out of their way to skip them.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
KungKras said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
KungKras said:
thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

So what you're saying is that Wii U will dominate 3rd party support? Weaker power and abysmal sales = 3rd party support?

No, I am telling you that the Wii U was never going to get much third party support, even if it's hardware were up to par to Sony's and Microsoft's eighth generation consoles and if it were the best selling eighth gen console on top of it.

What BS.  I guess that's why Nintendo got GREAT 3rd party support during the NES and SNES years?  Quit with the ridiculous conspiracy theories.  If Nintendo were willing to give 3rd party developers what they wanted, and sales for it were good enough, they would be getting plenty of support.

The 16-bit era was before Sony came in and changed the structure of the industry........ for the worse.

Sonys tech was Nintendos vision for the industry, Sony just pushed the tech further and it caught the attention of the third parties.

Third parties were reluctant to 3D at first and PS1 had a terrible launch line up. But the simple architecture and industrial strategy Sony used to drive down prices got them the confidence of the third parties, many of whom hated Nintendo since before (EA). When N64 didn't really catch on, Sony proved that Nintendo wasn't invincible, and third parties felt they never had to go back. Also, N64 had better tech than PS1, PS1 only had three advantages, and that was polygon count, storage, and easiness of programming, still a game like Ocarina of Time would have been impossible on the PS1.

Also, Nintendo rightfully envisions games as toys, not an industrialized entertainement medium like Sony.

Nintendo may have been a toy/game company in the past but their vision was to become a competent tech company to push the capabilities of gaming. It's because of their moto of being a child/family oriented company that held them back. They hired Sony to increase the cd based upgrades for their console to battle Sega. Nintendo was working with Ken Kutaragi behind Sony's back to make the tech and when Sony caught him working some of the higher ups defended him against other board members when he was to be punished. Sony made a deal with Nintendo and continued with Kutaragi making them the prototype, but they also saw that kutaragi was doing most of the work for Nintendo and wanted a proper cut of the money from the work that was put in in legal writing. When Nintendo found out about Sony's demands as a company they left them hanging before Nintendo was to reveal the product at CES. They worked with Panasonic in a relationship that had very little yeild compared to their relationship with Kutaragi. The playstation rid the third parties of Nintendos grip on third parties. Sega couldn't break Nintendos monopoly on third parties and Sony did it with great tech, more ram and CD's. Nintendo lost a lot of third parties because of continued lack of working with third parties in the west. Sony and Microsoft work with game companies in tandem when making their consoles while putting their own twist on the product, Nintendo does the opposite forcing devs to work with them.

That is just flat out revisionism. 

If Nintendo had a grand tech vision, the SNES would not have used the same CPU as the Commodore 64. Also the SNES CD was not about Nintendo wanting to be a tech company, it was just about competing with Sega.

It's not that well known why Nintendo suddenly switched partner, but Sony wanting control over Nintendo IP has also been mentioned, so don't leave that out when trying to re-tell the story of the PS1 to me.

Sega won over most of the western third parties, Nintendo kept the japanese ones who at the time were more important (To console gaming).

Third parties were initially suspicious of the PS1 because they were suspicious of 3D and the costs of 3D game making. PS1 had horrible launch games.

Also, Nintendo never forced devs to work with them. Nobody was forced to make games for the NES, there were other platforms availible. What Nintendo did that made third parties angry was to prevent another atari crash by having strict quality control, which was appropriate for the time.

Nowadays, Nintendo semms willing to support whoever asks for it. Factor 5 got tremendous aid from Nintendo, as did the guys making the Wii U version of Tekken Tag 2, hell, they even got to use Nintendo costumes. That Nintendo treats third parties badly even today is a myth.

Also, if you think Sony works with game companies and do everything to make it as nice as possible for devs, look up the early PS2 backlash from develpers. Luckily for Sony, the business suits in third party companies saved them that time by forcing people to work on PS2 (whose difficulty of programming is comparable to the Saturn).

I LOVE ICELAND!

superchunk said:

Facts are the GPU is probably around 320 to 450GFLOPs.

352GFLOPS exactly... and no, there is special unit that can give the GPU more raw power except more GPU shaders... there are special unit to help or free up the GPU raw power.

shokenchi said:
looks like the next ps and xbox gonna cost a lot of money, unless sony and ms will sell them at a big loss. games prolly gonna cost $69.99 for 10 hours again.

Bring on the pre-order-DLC!

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

ninjablade said:
Mr Khan said:
thismeintiel said:

What BS.  I guess that's why Nintendo got GREAT 3rd party support during the NES and SNES years?  Quit with the ridiculous conspiracy theories.  If Nintendo were willing to give 3rd party developers what they wanted, and sales for it were good enough, they would be getting plenty of support.

Because Nintendo was the only game in town in the NES era, and Sega was shit in Japan for the SNES era (the good Western 3rd party support all leaned in Genesis' favor).

There is no conspiracy. There's a bunch of individual haters, mostly localized in EA and their crony-studios, Zenimax and their subsidiaries, and Take Two and Rockstar. People who snub Nintendo consoles just because they can, and invent their own fiction to justify it to investors.

why do they support sony and not nintendo? i'm sure everybody wants to make money, unless they think it's not worth it.

Because Sony and Microsoft enable 3rd parties' bad habits

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

That thread was locked as it was a poor explanation of the info being presented and still worked at GAF.

Look at what the article actually has as facts and you'll notice that 1/2 of the GPU still has no defined purpose yet. There's still a lot missing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511628

Read the OP of that thread and you'll notice its not as bad as the DF article suggests. In fact many at GAF are quite pissed at DF for selling it so short and labeling it as such.

Facts are the GPU is probably around 320 to 450GFLOPs. It has amazing efficiency and a lot of memory. Its likely 2x raw flops than 360 and the NXbox is like 3x WiiUs flops.

It has the same or similar tech base and is simply not as powerful / fast as the rest of next gen.

For perspective.... Wii * 20 = X360 *2 = WiiU * 3 = NXbox *1.5 = PS4. (according to flops on GPU, of course there are many other factors)

"Next-Gen" has a variance similar to PS2/GC/XBox generation and in short only THE most demanding games would likely have a technical reason to skip WiiU but in reality Rol is likely right and it won't matter what as 3rd parties will go out of their way to skip them.

dude both DF and beyond3d have 352 gflops, thrakter suggested 450glops but was corrected by a beyond3d member, just except wiiu is on par with current gen, the specs and the ports prove that, if there was magic you would'nt have every sinlge port being inferior, except for one port which played into the wiiu stength, then you have 30 wats of power to work with, this conclusion of 300-350 glops was done a month ago at beyond3d, they already knew what the out come would be.

ethomaz said:

352GFLOPS exactly... and no, there is special unit that can give the GPU more raw power except more GPU shaders... there are special unit to help or free up the GPU raw power.

Not exactly... they are still saying they don't know what to expect in those other areas. So yeah 352 is the low end and it could still be gained a little.

CGI-Quality said:

After my brief experience with the WiiU, I have nothing but good to say about it! If the next Smash can grab me like Melee did, this could be a repeat of that generation, where Nintendo was on top, despite the monster PS2.

These specs change nothing for me. The WiiU is an 8th generation device. Period. Dot. Far behind the PS4 / 720 in power, perhaps. BUT, will that hinder multi-platform development, like it did for the Wii? No way to know that right now.

Seeing some "I told you so-s" in here. Let's at least get out of the first 6 months of its life before we pass a complete jugment on its capablities.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
ninjablade said:
Mr Khan said:
thismeintiel said:

Because Nintendo was the only game in town in the NES era, and Sega was shit in Japan for the SNES era (the good Western 3rd party support all leaned in Genesis' favor).

There is no conspiracy. There's a bunch of individual haters, mostly localized in EA and their crony-studios, Zenimax and their subsidiaries, and Take Two and Rockstar. People who snub Nintendo consoles just because they can, and invent their own fiction to justify it to investors.

why do they support sony and not nintendo? i'm sure everybody wants to make money, unless they think it's not worth it.

Because Sony and Microsoft enable 3rd parties' bad habits

then i suggest nintendo do the same.

ninjablade said:

dude both DF and beyond3d have 352 gflops, thrakter suggested 450glops but was corrected by a beyond3d member, just except wiiu is on par with current gen, the specs and the ports prove that, if there was magic you would'nt have every sinlge port being inferior, except for one port which played into the wiiu stength, then you have 30 wats of power to work with, this conclusion of 300-350 glops was done a month ago at beyond3d, they already knew what the out come would be.

Even at 352 its still not "on par" with current gen. Its still not only more powerful with more memory, but a whole set of new graphical technologies that PS360 cannot do.

EDIT: DF simply parroted what was in GAF... no original work there.