By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U graphics power finally revealed - "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

superchunk said:

Not exactly... they are still saying they don't know what to expect in those other areas. So yeah 352 is the low end and it could still be gained a little.

It's not low... there is no more shaders units in the chip for the Wii U GPU... can have shaders units for the BC Wii GPU.

All the others units are non-GPU parts.

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
osed125 said:
ninjablade said:
for people saying power doesn't matter for third party support, why did metro last light decide to cancel there game after seeing wii u dev kit, i'm sure it's because they want to make an easy port cause that version will end up selling the worst, and with the nintendo specs, it won't be an easy port cause of the bottle necks.

You are talking about THQ, a company which you know...no longer exists. Of course this guys have other priorities other than making a Wii U port. Especially since the original game already had some delays and dev problems (they had problems running the game properly on the PS3 iirc).

Besides they were looking at early dev kits, they just didn't decided not it didn't made sense financially (even if it was easy to port).

first comment they said was the cpu was horribley slow, then they said they looked at it, worked on it and said forget about it, and reading DF they say that nintendo doesn't even give developers specs when working on the machine, they would have to figure out the specs using there own tools which is a very complicated process from what i read at beyond3d, it's not an easy port where you just drop a game code cause of the bottle necks, even gamecube had this problem with ps2 ports.

They didn't go far because it wouldn't made sense financially, at that point THQ was already in big problems.

@bold The article says that, but in real life it doesn't make sense since:

1) When a company sends a dev kit, they had to send manuals about (at least minimum) specs and the overall UI. If it wasn't like that no single dev (outside of first parties) will be able to start making a game for it. Devs need to know about the basics of a new console. 

2) Like I said before no single dev would have even touched the hardware if Nintendo didn't provided some sort of info, and thus pretty much there wouldn't have been a single game at launch, because the bottle necks would have been impossible for 3rd parties to decipher. Especially since the GPU is so customize, they need to know if the hardware can run your game.

3) There are devs saying good things about the console, if that were the case 3rd parties wouldn't have said anything since that would mean Nintendo doesn't care about them and thus any "sympathy" PR talk shouldn't have even exist.

Nintendo and PC gamer

superchunk said:
ninjablade said:

dude both DF and beyond3d have 352 gflops, thrakter suggested 450glops but was corrected by a beyond3d member, just except wiiu is on par with current gen, the specs and the ports prove that, if there was magic you would'nt have every sinlge port being inferior, except for one port which played into the wiiu stength, then you have 30 wats of power to work with, this conclusion of 300-350 glops was done a month ago at beyond3d, they already knew what the out come would be.

Even at 352 its still not "on par" with current gen. Its still not only more powerful with more memory, but a whole set of new graphical technologies that PS360 cannot do.

but it also has bottle necks, that are not present in 360/ps3, both beyond3d and DF point out, the CPU is inferior and then the bandwidth is 12.8 compared to 22.4 for 360, i went on beyond 3d and asked the question many times, they tell me it's on par.

ethomaz said:

superchunk said:

Not exactly... they are still saying they don't know what to expect in those other areas. So yeah 352 is the low end and it could still be gained a little.

It's not low... there is no more shaders units in the chip for the Wii U GPU... can have shaders units for the BC Wii GPU.

All the others units are non-GPU parts.

They are discussing non-symmetric shaders etc. Eitherway, the point is still the same. It's greater than current gen plus more memory plus a lot more graphical technologies. Its far closer to its competitors than Wii was.

2013/14 games will demonstrate a clear distinction from PS360. Only question is if 3rd party devs will ignore it even though it could do the same game. Rol has a pretty solid argument that they will regardless of anything else. I think they may not.. at least so long as their name isn't EA.

The GPU core config of the Wii U is 320:16:8 (SP:TMU:ROP)... that's account per 352 GFLOPS in raw power at 550Mhz.

You can have others units to help and free up these 352 GFLOPS but the raw power of the GPU is fixed... so you can have a fixed unit to do some job that free up this task from the GPU so no power of the GPU is used in this task... all the raw power is used to others tasks.

A fixed unit, "special sauce", what a hell you named it don't addeed FLOPS to overall raw power of the GPU... they just free up this power.

That's what I understand.

Around the Network

Its only a HD 4670, sure, but it's in a whole new level compared to the 7800 GT on the PS3. It makes no sense that games like BLOPS 2 run at 880x720 when this card can run it on PC at 1360x768/60FPS. That card can play Crysis on Medium/High at 30FPS, it's a huge jump from the 360/PS3 GPUs.

superchunk said:

They are discussing non-symmetric shaders etc. Eitherway, the point is still the same. It's greater than current gen plus more memory plus a lot more graphical technologies. Its far closer to its competitors than Wii was.

2013/14 games will demonstrate a clear distinction from PS360. Only question is if 3rd party devs will ignore it even though it could do the same game. Rol has a pretty solid argument that they will regardless of anything else. I think they may not.. at least so long as their name isn't EA.

I never saw anything like some guys in GAF are tryind to create... non-symmetric shaders... and there are another picture there showing no other part of the chip help to hold this argument.

I never said the Wii U is weaker than PS360... I continue to say 50% better... just it... weak for the next-gen... way weak.

Disapointing... even more because I expected at least a GPU near 500GFLOPS raw power.

ninjablade said:

but it also has bottle necks, that are not present in 360/ps3, both beyond3d and DF point out, the CPU is inferior and then the bandwidth is 12.8 compared to 22.4 for 360, i went on beyond 3d and asked the question many times, they tell me it's on par.

Rushed ports that present same data on two screens at nearly the same performance, suggest its clearly not "on par". Hell, some of those rushed ports even have areas of better performance.

RazorDragon said:

That card can play Crysis on Medium/High at 30FPS, it's a huge jump from the 360/PS3 GPUs.

Not sure what are you talking about because the PS360 run Crysis on Medium at 30fps.

ethomaz said:

RazorDragon said:

That card can play Crysis on Medium/High at 30FPS, it's a huge jump from the 360/PS3 GPUs.

Not sure what are you talking about because the PS360 run Crysis on Medium at 30fps.

On Cryengine 3... The PC version runs on Cryengine 2, which is much more demanding.