By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U graphics power finally revealed - "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

So what you're saying is that Wii U will dominate 3rd party support? Weaker power and abysmal sales = 3rd party support?

No, I am telling you that the Wii U was never going to get much third party support, even if it's hardware were up to par to Sony's and Microsoft's eighth generation consoles and if it were the best selling eighth gen console on top of it.

What BS.  I guess that's why Nintendo got GREAT 3rd party support during the NES and SNES years?  Quit with the ridiculous conspiracy theories.  If Nintendo were willing to give 3rd party developers what they wanted, and sales for it were good enough, they would be getting plenty of support.

Around the Network

Nintendo and PC gamer

looks like the next ps and xbox gonna cost a lot of money, unless sony and ms will sell them at a big loss. games prolly gonna cost $69.99 for 10 hours again.

Scisca said:

What's the argument about DS:E about? This is an honest question. I own the game and like it a lot, just don't know what it stands for in the console wars :P

I think your points are pretty much ridiculous. A grudge since NES and SNES? C'mon! Gamecube had a very nice 3rd party support, it got ports which were upgraded versions od PS2 games, so you can't complain. Nintendo could have easily gone on from that point and developed the relationship, but instead they decided to take a different route with the Wii, which was too weird and upredictable for other companies to follow. Remember, if you're investing millions in your games, you don't want to invest in something that's fickle and not certain, when you can invest it in a more certain platform. This is why Wii lost 3rd parties.

Bold part pretty much calls your gaming knowledge into serious question. Not even that, after saying that, your knowledge of gaming pretty much lost all credibility.

I LOVE ICELAND!

basically what beyond3d was saying the whole time it's on par with current gen, while the system has it's it advantages it has it's disadvantages as well.

Wii U!

3 x OOE CPU at 1.2 ghz
~353 Gflops GPU
2GB DDR3 @ 12.8 GB/s 1GB reserved for the os.
32MB eDRAM )

3 x OOE CPU at 3.2 ghz
240 Gflops GPU
512mb DDR3 RAM @ 22.4GB/
10MB EDRAM

Around the Network
Scisca said:
Ka-boom!

Now where is Superchunk? I hope he's busy eating his words right now, after being so aggressive in forcing everyone to believe Wii U will be more than the Wii was last gen. This looks like the perfect repeat of the Wii, which was stronger than the stronges console of the previous gen by pretty much the same margin Wii U seems to be. I can't wait till Sony announces the PS4 to see just how big the gap is going to be, but I'm sure it's going to be pretty huge.

To tell the truth, I'm seriously disappointed. I'm not a Nintendo hater, I own 2 of their consoles and I was expecting Wii U to be much stronger than this. I was really certain that the gap between Wii U and current gen is much bigger. Now there is no chance in hell that I'm spending more than $120-150 on this console, no matter what games they release, sorry Nintendo.

What happens, in the end, it doesn't matter and say the Wii U ends up selling the most?  In short, all that additional horsepower ends up not mattering, and the second screen does?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=154202&page=1#

Wow, this thread is a real battleground, isn't it? A lot of entrenched positions and preemptive strikes. I'm just going to ignore the generational arguments since I have no idea why people are so angry about hyperbole.

All I can say is, if this article is accurate, then it's a blow for those who wanted wide third-party support on the Wii U. It's not always bad being the lowest common denominator in terms of technology, not unless you're too low, at which point you get dropped--and I think the Wii U might be on the wrong side of the dropping point. Developers aren't going to hold back on content for the sake of one console.

What is strange about all of this is all the talk Nintendo has done about winning back the core gamer. What were they talking about, exactly? Simply that they were going to make their own games that are intended to be played with a controller? I suppose so, though that's borderline misleading. I don't think Nintendo is going to win many people back if they lack third-party support across the board.

And honestly, all this conspiracy talk sounds a little unreal. Developers have limited time, money, and manpower, which they try to spend as efficiently as possible. Any cost/profit analysis will tell you that it's better to develop for two consoles than for one, or to lower your production values to the point where your competition is obviously superior. That's what happened to the Wii, and what might happen to the Wii U. I really don't see businesspeople, wealthy and intelligent board members, sitting around nudging each other and whispering about how they're going to get back at a potential business partner for things that happened in the 1990s.

The ones who really suffer are those who wanted the Wii U to fulfill all their gaming needs, from first-party Nintendo games to third-party blockbusters. Those are the people I feel bad for, assuming the major developers skip the Wii U. They might have some difficult choices to make.

ninjablade said:
basically what beyond3d was saying the whole time it's on par with current gen, while the system has it's it advantages it has it's disadvantages as well.

Wii U!

3 x OOE CPU at 1.2 ghz
~353 Gflops GPU
2GB DDR3 @ 12.8 GB/s 1GB reserved for the os.
32MB eDRAM )

3 x OOE CPU at 3.2 ghz
240 Gflops GPU
512mb DDR3 RAM @ 22.4GB/
32MB EDRAM

Xbox 360 has 10mb of eDRAM, not 32. Also, Nintendo consoles are never designed with standard hardware components, meaning you can't strictly compare the two with raw numbers. Not saying this means Wii U is secretly a beast, it most likely isn't, but there will be other factors that give Wii U its strength similar to how GCN compared with Xbox.

ethomaz said:
riderz13371 said:
Why the hell does the Wii U cost so much then? Is it because of the game pad thing?

Yeap the game pad is suposed to cost over $150.

Actually, that is not true. The gamepad costs $85 to replace if it is lost or broken.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Aielyn said:
Not only do we already know about this, we clearly know more about the situation than Eurogamer - the 320 stream processors is speculation at this time, the correct number is not yet known. Furthermore, there is a significant portion of the die that has yet to be identified.

More than that, 1080p is not "around 2.5x that of 720p". It's 2.25x. Not approximately, but exactly. And FLOPS do not represent actual power. Oh, and in the picture, they claim that the red sections represent the 320 stream processors... but they've only marked HALF of them.

So with this article, we can rule out Eurogamer as a suitable source of news when it comes to this sort of thing.

What a great post.