By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Die Image! Chipworks is AWESOME!

Why Nintendo? Why?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Well if it is a 8 CUs, 20 chaders each... VLIW4 then we have 640SPs in the Wii U's GPU.

Seems reasonable because VLIW5 give us 800SPs... a little high for the size... or maybe there is just 16 shaders in VLIW5 = 640SPs too.

640SPs @ 550Mhz???

I don't know, there are still too many speculations, unless Nintendo did some fucking voodoo magic, at first glance the performance can't be that high, but if it's based of VLIW5 with 80 SIMD  per and with calculations, that shit would be at 700ish GFLOPs which is impossible to me, that'd be way too fucking high.

There is a discussion in GAF about 160 or 640 shaders units... lol lol lol

The layout seems like the HD 4000 series but nobody can confirm.

The guys in gaf are hilarious because the thinks looks worst know... the 640 thing was a mistake.

I love speculations.

Edit - The latest theory...

160 x 2 x .55 = 176GFLOPs... That is extremely crazy too! LOL

Yeah, like I said, heavily customized chips are a pain in the fucking ass to decode

Around the Network
dahuman said:
ethomaz said:

"Looking at the die shot, it seems that there are 8 blocks of (probably) 20 shaders for a total of 160. Directly above it there are what looks like 3 repeated blocks that I would guess are TMUs, so 12 of them. Then two blocks below the shaders, so probably 8 ROPs. The arrangement of TMUs to shader blocks seems odd, but that's going by the few other die shots I've looked at."

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1702271&postcount=4417

- 8 CUs with 20 chaders each = 160 SPs
- 12 TMUs
- 8 ROPs

Any other ideia? Because that is even worst than I expected.

PS. I will check more in neogaf.

I think they also have fixed function shaders on that thing, it's like a hybrid GPU from what I'm gathering so far, and it's really fucking hard to gague the performance when you have a part that's this customized, this is very non-standard and a pain in the ass to dedcode lol.

That is a weird configuration indeed. From what i understand it's losely based on the AMD HD6xxx series. That means that it is almost the same as  the lower clocked version of the HD6450,  with the Wii-U's gpu having 4 more TMU's but the HD6450 having a slightly higher clock frequency. You can check out a list of all AMD gpu's over here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

ethomaz said:

The guys in gaf are hilarious because the thinks looks worst know... the 640 thing was a mistake.

I love speculations.

So its worse than was thought?

ethomaz said:

I love speculations.

640 I don't think so... 320 is a possibility.

That thread on Neogaf is literally the most tech-nerd crazy thread ever. I have no idea what people are saying in there.
YOU PEOPLE SPEAK A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE :l

Turkish said:

So its worse than was thought?

We are talking about somethins less than 200 GFLOPS... that's can't be true because the PS360 GPU have ~250 GFLOPS.