By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Die Image! Chipworks is AWESOME!

added source to OP

Around the Network

That's just a Google Earth screenshot. I can see my house right there.

Where's the gaf discussion?

lol look at all that eDRAM....

Chrizum said:
Is that the map from an unreleased SNES RPG?

lol, that is the exact same thought i had looking at the pic.

Around the Network

"Looking at the die shot, it seems that there are 8 blocks of (probably) 20 shaders for a total of 160. Directly above it there are what looks like 3 repeated blocks that I would guess are TMUs, so 12 of them. Then two blocks below the shaders, so probably 8 ROPs. The arrangement of TMUs to shader blocks seems odd, but that's going by the few other die shots I've looked at."

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1702271&postcount=4417

- 8 CUs with 20 chaders each = 160 SPs
- 12 TMUs
- 8 ROPs

Any other ideia? Because that is even worst than I expected.

PS. I will check more in neogaf.

ethomaz said:

"Looking at the die shot, it seems that there are 8 blocks of (probably) 20 shaders for a total of 160. Directly above it there are what looks like 3 repeated blocks that I would guess are TMUs, so 12 of them. Then two blocks below the shaders, so probably 8 ROPs. The arrangement of TMUs to shader blocks seems odd, but that's going by the few other die shots I've looked at."

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1702271&postcount=4417

- 8 CUs with 20 chaders each = 160 SPs
- 12 TMUs
- 8 ROPs

Any other ideia? Because that is even worst than I expected.

PS. I will check more in neogaf.

I think they also have fixed function shaders on that thing, it's like a hybrid GPU from what I'm gathering so far, and it's really fucking hard to gague the performance when you have a part that's this customized, this is very non-standard and a pain in the ass to dedcode lol.

So far its looking like Wii U GPU is still good... but not as good as I or a few others had thought based on initial ideas. The full breakdown at GAF will be up shortly and I'll update my comparison thread as such when it happens.

However, still its important to look at the latest trailers of say X and realize that while Wii U won't be up to the others in next-gen prowess, it has the capability to deliver great and beautiful games. The architecture alone allows things this gen could not and that will become clear as more exclusives prop up.

Finally, it does appear we may see another gen were Nintendo is ignored due to a raw power gap. Something I personally didn't think would happen again as the basic architecture is in alignment, but it still seems like the raw power may be to the point where a 3rd party may feel it to be too complicated to scale.

Well, here's looking forward to a proper breakdown and of course the realization of actual games over the next couple of years to see if this holds true or not.

I have no idea what this means.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Well if it is a 8 CUs, 20 chaders each... VLIW4 then we have 640SPs in the Wii U's GPU.

Seems reasonable because VLIW5 give us 800SPs... a little high for the size... or maybe there is just 16 shaders in VLIW5 = 640SPs too.

640SPs @ 550Mhz???