By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Die Image! Chipworks is AWESOME!

ghost_of_fazz said:
In any case, while FLOPS help measure the performance of a computer component, a higher number doesn't always mean a better performance. See AMD and nVidia GPUs for comparison, AMD's usually have much higher FLOPS count, but that doesn't mean they will perform much better than their counterpart in a real world scenario... but then again, this is an AMD GPU we're talking about.

Actually with the PS3 and X360 it's the exact opposite. The PS3 with an Nvidia gpu has a much higher FLOPS count than the AMD x360 Xenos. But X360's gpu is based on a newer generation of gpu, the first to use unified shaders.

Around the Network

Yeah I'm concluding that this shit is so customized that only devs and engine makers testing different things will know the actual performance and they are under fucking NDA.

It is definitely an overworld + dungeon map for an unreleased NES game.

Maybe there is some special sauce (hardware) to help the GPU/CPU... so the Wii U can do better things overall.

AnthonyW86 said:

Like i said it is probably pretty close to a HD6450 with 4 extra TMSU's. A HD6450 @ 625 mhz does about 200 GFLOPS. It's mostly the fact that the Wii U's gpu is clocked slightly lower that causes the number to plunch below 200 GFLOPS. But GFLOPS don't tell the whole story, for example the RSX of the PS3 is capable of 400 GFLOPS but is generaly regarded as slightly less powerfull than the 360's Xenos witch does 240 GFLOPS.

offtopic but Is that Move avatar fo real?!

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
Seriously WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

- Wii U will be very weak compared to the rumored Orbis and Durango, even if it shares some technologies in the GPU. But it's not as bad as the "Wii vs PS360" scenario, where the Wii not only lacked the horsepower, but it also lacked the technology.

- The Wii U's GPU seems to be a very customized chip, even if it's based on a standard GPU, and that doesn't necessarily means a good thing. Third parties will probably ignore it because it would be hard to get good results out of it, and probably will think that it's not worth the time and investment.

- In the right hands, this thing could provide some good stuff (see Factor 5's games on the Gamecube).

- This thing is more advanced than the 360 and PS3. Probably lacks raw horsepower in comparison, but the more advanced tech will probably make up for it, and will provide better results in the end.

- Nintendo focused on a "low-power" philosophy... a bit too much.

- Apparently, it was a top priority for Nintendo to provide native backwards compatibility with Wii games. This hinders the design of the console.

dahuman said:
ethomaz said:

Well if it is a 8 CUs, 20 chaders each... VLIW4 then we have 640SPs in the Wii U's GPU.

Seems reasonable because VLIW5 give us 800SPs... a little high for the size... or maybe there is just 16 shaders in VLIW5 = 640SPs too.

640SPs @ 550Mhz???

I don't know, there are still too many speculations, unless Nintendo did some fucking voodoo magic, at first glance the performance can't be that high, but if it's based of VLIW5 with 80 SIMD  per and with calculations, that shit would be at 700ish GFLOPs which is impossible to me, that'd be way too fucking high.

700ish gflops with 30watts?nasatech?

AnthonyW86 said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
In any case, while FLOPS help measure the performance of a computer component, a higher number doesn't always mean a better performance. See AMD and nVidia GPUs for comparison, AMD's usually have much higher FLOPS count, but that doesn't mean they will perform much better than their counterpart in a real world scenario... but then again, this is an AMD GPU we're talking about.

Actually with the PS3 and X360 it's the exact opposite. The PS3 with an Nvidia gpu has a much higher FLOPS count than the AMD x360 Xenos. But X360's gpu is based on a newer generation of gpu, the first to use unified shaders.

AH well that is true, I was actually referring to post-GeForce 8800 stuff with that comment :P

I think the real big news here is that the part of the Wii-U that was expected to give it an edge over PS360 could turn out to be slightly less powerfull. Now i know power isn't everything, but for a next generation console to be less powerfull than the strongest systems of the former generation is just INSANE. Even the Wii was more powerfull than the Xbox.

For me this can only mean one thing, Nintendo is planning a shorten lifespan for their console.

AnthonyW86 said:

For me this can only mean one thing, Nintendo is planning a shorten lifespan for their console.

A new Wii in 2016-2017???