By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

LemonSlice said:
KHlover said:
RolStoppable said:
$10 for a game like Limbo is much more expensive than $60 for NSMBU.

I agree. $10 for 3h of gameplay is much more than $60 for (depending on what one is willing to sink into the game) 15+hrs of gameplay. 

Limbo has barely an hour of gameplay in it, but that's what's so great about. I can play it in one sitting and have a complete, satisfying experience. Plus try to die as little as possible, of course.

Though realistically, a game like that could sell at full price in the early early 90s (Prince of Persia which is 89, Another World 91) but not today. Last game similar to it sold at retail was Heart of Darkness, and although about the same gameplay length, it had varied graphics and CGI cutscenes.

But LIMBO in general already is a bad example as I'd describe it as "playable art" rather than "platformer" and thus has a completely different value attached to it^^

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Nintendo has built their brands for well over 20 years and as long as they continue to provide high quality, their brands aren't going to fizzle out. You can only call it "selling on brand alone" when the product itself is bad, but the examples you provided in the OP are the best platformers on the market.

No sane company would lower the price of something that sells millions, so why should Nintendo? Price drops happen when a product has reached an insufficient level of sales. The examples you provided in the OP cost $10, because their publishers can't charge more for them. They would like to, but their games wouldn't sell at that price.

NSMB2 has sold more than 5m copies by now and NSMBU has sold 1.5m copies on a console with a tiny userbase. It doesn't look like Nintendo's pricing model will change anytime soon. You are forcing your opinion on others by saying things like "games like Super Meat Boy have competing value". That's up to every person to decide for themselves. Judging from sales, most people don't think like you.

Lastly, you should have realized how bad your argument is when you had to use games that are not platformers as examples for commercial success.

@bold. Do you really need to say things like that? The argument applies to retro games in general I used platformers because it was, to me, the easiest genre to analyze, but it applies to everyting else that is retro, 2D, arcade, or that doesn't involve a hefty amount of development like say Gears of War or Halo 4, or Mario Galaxy.

If I'm imposing my opinion, then why is it that you are saying that the titles in OP couldn't sell at 40-60$? You do realize that there's much more to the sales of a game than intrinsic value? Or you don't see that?

happydolphin said:
forest-spirit said:
Out of those "overpriced" games I've played NSMBWii and DKCR and they are totally worth full price in my book.
Just because you don't see that kind of value in those games doesn't mean that no one does.

I see you liked Minecraft. Minecraft had an MSRP of 26.95 on release . Is that a competitive offering to the games you listed?

Sure is. And I bought the game back in the alpha days for $10. That doesn't make me feel like every $10+ game is overpriced though. If anything, it's Minecraft that is undervalued and if a sequel came out for $50 I'd happily buy it day 1.

But just like the case with 2D platformers there are those who can't see how a game with crappy retro graphics, no story and no goal can be worth more than $5. So in the end, it's all about what kind of games we enjoy.

happydolphin said:

I find it really appalling that Nintendo permits itself to sell its old school platformers (et al.) at an MSRP of 59.99$ and 39.99$ for portable offerings.

Super Paper Mario: 49.99$

New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 49.99$

Kirby's Epic Yarn: 49.99$

Donkey Kong Country Returns 49.99$

NSMB 2: 39.99$

NSMB U: 59.99$

When games on WiiWare, the e-shop, steam, PSN and XBLA are offering competing products at a much more reasonable price:

Limbo: 9.99$

Trine: 9.99$

Trine 2: 14.99$

Braid: 9.99$

vvvvvv: 4.99$

Super Meat Boy: 14.99$

Bit. Trip. Beat: 9.99$

And though this isn't a platformer:

League of Legends: Free

These Nintendo games sold like mad when the Wii was at its peak, but is it reasonable to expect that trend to continue?

In the meantime the 3D landscape is rifted into realistic games and more laid-back experiences, it seems that this market is not properly understood by Nintendo.

Dont buy them then, Nintendo sells a whole lot, it would be dumb to lower a price of something selling very well. Beside those are reasonable to me..

forest-spirit said:

Sure is. And I bought the game back in the alpha days for $10. That doesn't make me feel like every $10+ game is overpriced though. If anything, it's Minecraft that is undervalued and if a sequel came out for $50 I'd happily buy it day 1.

But just like the case with 2D platformers there are those who can't see how a game with crappy retro graphics, no story and no goal can be worth more than $5. So in the end, it's all about what kind of games we enjoy.

But if a game releases at 5$ that is as good as a game at 50$, what does that tell us about the market prices? I understand that you'd pay 50$ for it, but how many games do you play a year, and is 50$ reasonable in today's "pick up and play" landscape, where so many games exist and are all largely comparable in competition for our entertainment time & money?

Around the Network

tbone51 said:

Dont buy them then, Nintendo sells a whole lot, it would be dumb to lower a price of something selling very well. Beside those are reasonable to me..

This thread has nothing to do with me buying them or not, it has to do with the viability of the practice and what effect it has on Nintendo on the long-term. Sadly I haven't even gotten that far yet.

Be glad.. If nintendo sold their games for 10 to 20 bucks the competition would be utterly destroyed in sales and they would be wiped out from the face of the earth.. There would be no braid, trine, limbo, supermeatboy.. Not even for 99 cents..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

KylieDog said:
Immortal said:
KylieDog said:
Immortal said:
You can find cheap shooters, RPGs, action games and just about everything else for under 10 dollars on iOS. Does that mean that all the games from these genres need to get realistic and drop their prices?

The quality of an iOS FPS game isn't even close to the quality of a console FPS title, while a 2D Mario quality is very much on par with PSN/XBLA budget price 2D platform games, in my opinion.

Words we all tend to forget all too often.

Regardless, even if you don't want to acknowledge that quality is subjective, whoever was it that said that quality has anything to do with pricing? It has something to do with the value an average consumer sees in the product, but nothing whatsoever to do with "quality" as you or I or any other individual sees it.

It isn't my opinion, they are.  You are confusing quality with popularity.  Release a 2D Mario clone without Mario or his name and it will not sell as much, and people have tried.  Lets not pretend that Mario alone doesn't sell something regardless of quality or price, is why Nintendo sticks Mario in most of their games.

Yeah, who would have guessed that a no-name game won't sell as much as a game of a popular and critically acclaimed franchise...

NiKKoM said:
Be glad.. If nintendo sold their games for 10 to 20 bucks the competition would be utterly destroyed in sales and they would be wiped out from the face of the earth.. There would be no braid, trine, limbo, supermeatboy.. Not even for 99 cents..

Good point.... The games sell and eclipse the others for absolutely no good reason... The games are good, but they don't deserve the level of attention they get imho. Some newer more obscure games need the exposure, and you may have written the most insightful post of this thread.

happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

Who is getting robbed?

Consumers are getting robbed. They think they are getting value for the price, but they are getting ripped off without even knowing it.

No, they are not getting robbed. If they believe the product is worth 50 USD then they will pay it. If they don't, they will purchase some shit game for 10 dollars.