By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

happydolphin said:

Ok, I can work with this.

In my opinion, the effects of an improper markeup is only visible in the follow-up to the original "rip-off" (except in the case of those who are ok with the price). In other words, until the sequels come out showing a lack of sales, it's hard to say.

One example of a failure is Nintendogs + Cats. We know that that strategy is no longer working for Nintendo, people got the idea and it's not going to sell any more. Same goes with Brain Age.

Though NSMB U was meant to be a system seller, it wasn't able to push U sales like it was expected to. For example, NSMB 2 seems to be doing less well than its predecessor. It would indicate that people are coming to understand that the game is marked up as compared to what alternative entertainment they may be enjoying atm.

While what you're saying is true, there are about a million other reasons for which Nintendo has seen a decline in some of its recent games. I don't know about Brain Age, but both Nintendogs and NSMB, some of my favourite games on the DS, were much less entertaining for me on the 3DS. And, mind you, I've never even seen what this so-called competition looks like so the value of these games has just declined independently for me. How do we know that this isn't the case for everyone else?

We can see that this clearly doesn't apply to all of Nintendo's successful DS games since Mario Kart is holding on just fine on the 3DS, 3D Mario (although it's practically 2D) is doing better than ever and AC is breaking records everywhere in Japan. I'm sure these games have some cheap competition, too, but it doesn't seem to be affecting them.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network

Little big planet was $60 as well...

Snesboy said:
happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

Who is getting robbed?

Consumers are getting robbed. They think they are getting value for the price, but they are getting ripped off without even knowing it.

No, they are not getting robbed. If they believe the product is worth 50 USD then they will pay it. If they don't, they will purchase some shit game for 10 dollars.

As a Starcraft fan, you could see the value in a game like League of Legends. It's free but if it were even sold at 1$ I doubt you would consider that a shit game.

They may believe the product is worth 50$, but in the end the degenerating sales of these series in the future will only serve to prove my point.

Remember, before the Wii, games like this did not end up selling very well on Nintendo platforms.

Kirby 64: Crystal Shards, DK Jungle Beat, 4 Sword on the cube.

KylieDog said:
Snesboy said:
happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

Who is getting robbed?

Consumers are getting robbed. They think they are getting value for the price, but they are getting ripped off without even knowing it.

No, they are not getting robbed. If they believe the product is worth 50 USD then they will pay it. If they don't, they will purchase some shit game for 10 dollars.

That isn't how it works.  You've never bought something you knew was robbing you in price but you wanted/needed it regardless?  Things sell past their 'worth' all the time, just look at ebay for millions of examples.

That IS how it works in a free market.  The market dictates the price, if people stop buying them, becuase they don't see the value relative to other games in this example, then the price goes down.

happydolphin said:

As a Starcraft fan, you could see the value in a game like League of Legends. It's free but if it were even sold at 1$ I doubt you would consider that a shit game.

They may believe the product is worth 50$, but in the end the degenerating sales of these series in the future will only serve to prove my point.

Remember, before the Wii, games like this did not end up selling very well on Nintendo platforms.

Kirby 64: Crystal Shards, DK Jungle Beat, 4 Sword on the cube.

What are you trying to imply with "before the Wii"? It's hard to compare something that sold almost 100 Million units to something that sold around or less than 30 Million. 

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

It isn't my opinion, they are.  You are confusing quality with popularity.  Release a 2D Mario clone without Mario or his name and it will not sell as much, and people have tried.  Lets not pretend that Mario alone doesn't sell something regardless of quality or price, is why Nintendo sticks Mario in most of their games.

This isn't an argument. It's a fact that quality is subjective. Nothing more to it. What I think is a quality game is a crap game to you and vice versa.

In any case, that's what the second part of my post was for. Whoever said that quality has anything to do with pricing? Sure, Mario sells because of its brand. Key word: sells. And since it sells, its price is probably reasonable

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

If they're selling at those prices, then why drop them? They want their games to have value, and not be thrown into the bargain bin at Walmart.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

KylieDog said:
Snesboy said:
happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

Who is getting robbed?

That isn't how it works.  You've never bought something you knew was robbing you in price but you wanted/needed it regardless?  Things sell past their 'worth' all the time, just look at ebay for millions of examples.

Wii hype train games:

MadWorld

No More Heroes

Conduit

Last Story

and every other shit 3rd party game for the Wii. Though TLS and NMH were actually really good. If dumb people want to buy something, let them. Besides, I like seeing Nintendo in the game industry. Fuck Sony and fuck Microsoft. They're not about the games, just about trying to run Nintendo out of business.

Mr Khan said:
Those PSN/XBL/e-Shop folks *wish* they could sell their games for that much.

It's like you're implying they're of significantly lesser quality, which even if true is hardly the reason behind the price ranges as much as differences in the amount of content/production value/brand recognition.

Spazzy_D said:
KylieDog said:

That IS how it works in a free market.  The market dictates the price, if people stop buying them, becuase they don't see the value relative to other games in this example, then the price goes down.

Yes, but like I said to immortal, the first buy doesn't reflect the rip-off. It's only in the follow-ups that we see the effects of the regret sentiment. I agree with KD.

Immortal:

While what you're saying is true, there are about a million other reasons for which Nintendo has seen a decline in some of its recent games. I don't know about Brain Age, but both Nintendogs and NSMB, some of my favourite games on the DS, were much less entertaining for me on the 3DS. And, mind you, I've never even seen what this so-called competition looks like so the value of these games has just declined independently for me. How do we know that this isn't the case for everyone else?

We can see that this clearly doesn't apply to all of Nintendo's successful DS games since Mario Kart is holding on just fine on the 3DS, 3D Mario (although it's practically 2D) is doing better than ever and AC is breaking records everywhere in Japan. I'm sure these games have some cheap competition, too, but it doesn't seem to be affecting them.

Para 1. It's possible, but if it declined independently, and there is also more difficult competition, that poses a serious problem. If not, and competition is stronger just the same, it still poses a threat. Either way the price is a very important thing to consider as competition increases. It could also be that your interest in the games reduced due to fatigue and it became less entertaining for you.

Para 2. Mario Kart is holding off OK. Contrarily to MK DS which took time to take off, MK 7 had a more explosive start, but looks like it will have weak legs. I'm going by the popularity of the 3DS hardware in the US and Europe for an idea of what the future trend may be like. It isn't very reassuring. 3D Mario is a whole new game and deserves its sales. AC is a hugely addictive game I don't see that trend stopping anytime soon.

Nintendopie said:

What are you trying to imply with "before the Wii"? It's hard to compare something that sold almost 100 Million units to something that sold around or less than 30 Million. 

Games sell platforms. But in the case of Wii, the platform sold the games. What does that say about the games, and about Nintendo's strategy (pricing, offerings, etc.)?

Rolstoppable said:

If an argument is bad, then it's fair to call it bad. Am I supposed to lie or sugarcoat everything?

What you said in this post moves this discussion a step forward. The assumption you make is that robbery is defined by production values, so you come to the conclusion that a 2D platformer is overpriced at $50 when a game like Halo 4 sells for a similar price. However, that's not how most people judge games. They don't ask "How much did this game cost to make?" when deciding whether it's worth their money, they ask: "How much entertainment is this game going to provide to me?" - By this definition, the development budget of any given game is completely irrelevant.

If the games listed in your OP could sell at $40-60, then they would have been brought to retail. Additionally, the much superior Rayman Origins couldn't move many copies at these prices and thus quickly dropped in price. If RO couldn't sell at $40-60, then Limbo, Super Meat Boy etc. certainly wouldn't sell either.

@bold. If my argument is bad, then there needs to be a reason other than "look, you had to use non-platformers to make your point", when that doesn't take aways from the heart of what I was trying to highlight in the first place, irrespective of genre. And you know that. ;)

"How much entertainment is this game going to provide to me?" How do you put a price tag to entertainment? Usually, price is based on cost and revenue. If I'm selling you a very fun game that took me 10 days to make, should you buy it at 50$? I wouldn't expect you to... In theory I understand what you mean, and I agree that entertainment value needs more place in the discussion, I don't agree that it's the golden standard for pricing either. I think there's more to a price than entertainment value. When a great book can be bought at 20$, I'm not sure 50$ is a reasonable price when only entertainment is the topic.

I think RO shows that Nintendo's games have unmatcheable brand power. In the movie industry, there are some excellent movies that would never hold a candle to hollywood blockbusters in terms of BO sales. Are they less good? Exposure, popularity =/= value.