Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

I beat God of War 3 in 8 1/2 hours. Never wanted to play it again. I've played New Super Mario Bros. 2 for about 30 hours. First game cost me 60 bucks, the second 40.

Which one ripped me off more?



Around the Network
Spazzy_D said:
I beat God of War 3 in 8 1/2 hours. Never wanted to play it again. I've played New Super Mario Bros. 2 for about 30 hours. First game cost me 60 bucks, the second 40.

Which one ripped me off more?

I didn't like GoW, so maybe that's a bad example?



happydolphin said:
Spazzy_D said:
I beat God of War 3 in 8 1/2 hours. Never wanted to play it again. I've played New Super Mario Bros. 2 for about 30 hours. First game cost me 60 bucks, the second 40.

Which one ripped me off more?

I didn't like GoW, so maybe that's a bad example?

Does one have to like GoW to see the logic in this example?



You can find cheap shooters, RPGs, action games and just about everything else for under 10 dollars on iOS. Does that mean that all the games from these genres need to get realistic and drop their prices?

Until the market shows Mario or even Kirby at $50 making less revenue than any one of those cheap online games, your argument is ridiculously desperate and hopelessly disconnected with how consumers see it.



 

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
You can find cheap shooters, RPGs, action games and just about everything else for under 10 dollars on iOS. Does that mean that all the games from these genres need to get realistic and drop their prices?

Until the market shows Mario or even Kirby at $50 making less revenue than any one of those cheap online games, your argument is ridiculously desperate and hopelessly disconnected with how consumers see it.

I'm not sure the words "ridiculous", "desperate" or "hopeless" are needed.

Thanks.

Until you change your tone I'm not addressing any of your points.



Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Spazzy_D said:
I beat God of War 3 in 8 1/2 hours. Never wanted to play it again. I've played New Super Mario Bros. 2 for about 30 hours. First game cost me 60 bucks, the second 40.

Which one ripped me off more?

I didn't like GoW, so maybe that's a bad example?


Ha, well you can use the same formula for Uncharted or really any other big game this gen that isn't either A.) Focused on Multiplayer or B.) A Sandbox game or RPG.

The point remains that video games are a terrible value proposition.  If you don't want to get ripped off, go buy a book. (Can't get a better hours per dollar enjoyment ratio anywhere else.)



happydolphin said:

Well, for one I was playing League of Legends for Free yesterday. A game I considered pretty relevant to me, and it seems to a lot of gamers.

I played NSMB Wii last year and, though it was fun, it got boring fast.

Consumers paid 49.99$ for NSMB Wii, I believe there is enough competition nowadays from digital game distro services as well as from mobile games to make people realize that the value of Nintendo's games is highly marked up. Imho it will be increasingly difficult for Nintendo to sustain that pricing model from here on out.

Again, the reason is that others are offering more interesting games at a much better price. Even if a game lasts less long, if the short time I spent on it was unforgettable, it will be worth much more to me than 20 hours of same-old entertainment.

So this another one of this thread's where you are trying to force your opinion on everyone.

Newsflash: Opinions differ and people can buy what they want with their money. So what you'll see in this thread will be a lot of people that tell you that they gladly paid $50 for Nintendo games and don't regret it one bit.

Also, if others are offering more interesting games at a much better price, then why aren't they outselling Nintendo games? The obvious answer is that others aren't offering more interesting games at better prices and their only option to even compete with Nintendo is to drastically undercut Nintendo's prices.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

happydolphin said:
Immortal said:
You can find cheap shooters, RPGs, action games and just about everything else for under 10 dollars on iOS. Does that mean that all the games from these genres need to get realistic and drop their prices?

Until the market shows Mario or even Kirby at $50 making less revenue than any one of those cheap online games, your argument is ridiculously desperate and hopelessly disconnected with how consumers see it.

I'm not sure the words "ridiculous", "desperate" or "hopeless" are needed.

Thanks.

Until you change your tone I'm not addressing any of your points.

Considering the rest of us have to tolerate the words "unrealistic", "appaling" and "robbery", I think you can humour me.



 

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

I find it funny that Nintendo is being targeted with this, really. You should know that pretty much any console game that isn't download-only are going to be like this.
You can say "The Tales of series is a waste of money because even though it takes a long time to beat, most of the time you're just doing _____, they could easily charge $10 for the game."

You also put "platformers" in your title but there are CLEAR examples that you listed that aren't platformers, so my point stands because you really aren't talking only about platformer games.



happydolphin said:
Spazzy_D said:
I beat God of War 3 in 8 1/2 hours. Never wanted to play it again. I've played New Super Mario Bros. 2 for about 30 hours. First game cost me 60 bucks, the second 40.

Which one ripped me off more?

I didn't like GoW, so maybe that's a bad example?

No, it's not a good example. It's his opinion, just like how you saying Nintendo's games aren't worth their price is your opinion.

It's as simple as that, we all have our opinions on this matter.



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.