By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

Any game can be priced whatever they want it to. If they want to charge a million dollars they can.

I could argue uncharted should be in that category too. When Mario is just as fun. (I buy neither game and rent them both)

You can argue they'd make more profit lowering the price. but that's nintendos choice. Likely they've researched at what makes them the most money.

Around the Network
ishiki said:

Any game can be priced whatever they want it to. If they want to charge a million dollars they can.

I could argue uncharted should be in that category too. When Mario is just as fun. (I buy neither game and rent them both)

You can argue they'd make more profit lowering the price. but that's nintendos choice. Likely they've researched at what makes them the most money.

The question is "does the price match the value?", and the late sales of some of these types of games is beginning to show the faults in the traditional pricing for these games.

You can only rob for so long.

KHlover said:
RolStoppable said:
$10 for a game like Limbo is much more expensive than $60 for NSMBU.

I agree. $10 for 3h of gameplay is much more than $60 for (depending on what one is willing to sink into the game) 15+hrs of gameplay. 

I bought Journey (2 hour game) for $15 and it's way better than a 20+hour game.

RolStoppable said:

Who is getting robbed?

Consumers are getting robbed. They think they are getting value for the price, but they are getting ripped off without even knowing it.

happydolphin said:

Consumers are getting robbed. They think they are getting value for the price, but they are getting ripped off without even knowing it.

How are they getting ripped off? Is it because you think Nintendo is just milking Mario?

Around the Network
Deyon said:
KHlover said:
RolStoppable said:
$10 for a game like Limbo is much more expensive than $60 for NSMBU.

I agree. $10 for 3h of gameplay is much more than $60 for (depending on what one is willing to sink into the game) 15+hrs of gameplay. 

I bought Journey (2 hour game) for $15 and it's way better than a 20+hour game.

I'd say it depends on the 20 hour game. I just can say that I didn't feel ripped of by any of the Nintendo games he listed at all. Nor by any other game he listed :D

RolStoppable said:

How do you come to this conclusion?

Well, for one I was playing League of Legends for Free yesterday. A game I considered pretty relevant to me, and it seems to a lot of gamers.

I played NSMB Wii last year and, though it was fun, it got boring fast.

Consumers paid 49.99$ for NSMB Wii, I believe there is enough competition nowadays from digital game distro services as well as from mobile games to make people realize that the value of Nintendo's games is highly marked up. Imho it will be increasingly difficult for Nintendo to sustain that pricing model from here on out.

Again, the reason is that others are offering more interesting games at a much better price. Even if a game lasts less long, if the short time I spent on it was unforgettable, it will be worth much more to me than 20 hours of same-old entertainment.

I beat God of War 3 in 8 1/2 hours. Never wanted to play it again. I've played New Super Mario Bros. 2 for about 30 hours. First game cost me 60 bucks, the second 40.

Which one ripped me off more?

Spazzy_D said:
I beat God of War 3 in 8 1/2 hours. Never wanted to play it again. I've played New Super Mario Bros. 2 for about 30 hours. First game cost me 60 bucks, the second 40.

I didn't like GoW, so maybe that's a bad example?

happydolphin said:
Spazzy_D said:

I didn't like GoW, so maybe that's a bad example?

Does one have to like GoW to see the logic in this example?