By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii U Design Focused on Memory Efficiency

Tagged games:

KHlover said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:
the_dengle said:
KHlover said:
Expanations for a non-tech guy, good sir?

The Wii U is a prius in a world of SUVs.

If we look at the past generations gamers seem to like the Prius :P

How so? Graphics always seem to sell and I've yet to here of a gamer complaining about efficiency. If it works, it works and that's all they tend to think about. 

The weakest console has always won yet.

That explains the Dreamcast, Turbo Grafx 16, Saturn, etc? Those would technically be the weakest consoles of their generation.

The system with the best balance of modern tech, third party support, and 1st party games tends to win each generation.

The Wii is really the only exception, and it may yet be caught by the PS3 the way things are going now.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
ninjablade said:
KHlover said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:
the_dengle said:
KHlover said:

How so? Graphics always seem to sell and I've yet to here of a gamer complaining about efficiency. If it works, it works and that's all they tend to think about. 

ps2 was a beast when it came out, so was the psx and super nes was more powerful and beat out the genesis, every single console that won there respective generations were a beast when they came out except for the wii, sure it was a win for nintendo but not for gamers with no real third party support. the weak console that won a gen in sales was the wii, it got no third party support though and no hype for its successer, if the wiiu wins this then we can say power doesn't matter.

False. Never in history has the most powerful console ever won. NES was a lot weaker than anything else on the market at the time, but it obliterated everything in sales. Yeah sure the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis, but the Neo-Geo was a monster in power compared to the Super Nintendo. The Nintendo 64 came in as a powerhouse and at the time the graphics were unbelievable. Did it win the generation? Nope that title went to the weaker PlayStation. The Gamecube and Xbox came into the 6th gen with a lot of power that far exceeded the PS2, but we all know who ended up winning that console war. And the 7th gen that we are now leaving had the weak Wii as the the winner. So as you can see, aiming your console to be a mighty powerhouse isn't a great idea.

all those systems were powerhouses for there time though especially playstation and playstation 2. the 360/ps3 are very successful, sure it did'nt win this gen but they are in a much better position nextgen, especially 360, with all the third party support you can get.

The proof is in the pudding.

Say all you want about it's efficiency and hidden power but that means nothing until you show some amazing games.

ninjablade said:
newwil7l said:
ninjablade said:
KHlover said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:
the_dengle said:
KHlover said:

ps2 was a beast when it came out, so was the psx and super nes was more powerful and beat out the genesis, every single console that won there respective generations were a beast when they came out except for the wii, sure it was a win for nintendo but not for gamers with no real third party support. the weak console that won a gen in sales was the wii, it got no third party support though and no hype for its successer, if the wiiu wins this then we can say power doesn't matter.

False. Never in history has the most powerful console ever won. NES was a lot weaker than anything else on the market at the time, but it obliterated everything in sales. Yeah sure the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis, but the Neo-Geo was a monster in power compared to the Super Nintendo. The Nintendo 64 came in as a powerhouse and at the time the graphics were unbelievable. Did it win the generation? Nope that title went to the weaker PlayStation. The Gamecube and Xbox came into the 6th gen with a lot of power that far exceeded the PS2, but we all know who ended up winning that console war. And the 7th gen that we are now leaving had the weak Wii as the the winner. So as you can see, aiming your console to be a mighty powerhouse isn't a great idea.

all those systems were powerhouses for there time though especially playstation and playstation 2. the 360/ps3 are very successful, sure it did'nt win this gen but they are in a much better position nextgen, especially 360, with all the third party support you can get.

But all I am trying to say is that all if the consoles that won were never the most powerful.

You have to consider too the PS2 was out 18 months before the GameCube. It was monstrously powerful for its time, absolutely destroyed any PC graphics card.

N64 would've mopped the floor with the Playstation if Nintendo hadn't been so stubborn and compromised with third parties to add a CD-drive to the hardware design (let Miyamoto make his cartridge games if he wants).

Super Mario 64, GoldenEye, Zelda: OoT, plus perhaps things like Resident Evil 1-3, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy VII on one console? Game over for Sony.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
ninjablade said:
newwil7l said:
ninjablade said:
KHlover said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:
the_dengle said:
KHlover said:

But all I am trying to say is that all if the consoles that won were never the most powerful.

its about graphics, games, and being the cool brand, playstation was the cool brand in the us, now it's xbox, wii was the only one that really shocked me to be honest, i think  it broke through to a whole differnt audience. graphics have always been very important in gaming, as long as there in the same ball park in graphics its fine, the wii was the only one that's was out of the ballpark.

I don't think graphics were ever too important but especially with this upcoming Gen it won't matter much IMO. Wii U, Durango, and Orbis will all be HD. I don't believe in the words "casual" and "core" when referring to games but the "casual" audience that people refer to is way bigger than the "core" group. Graphics won't play a big role next-gen and if either Sony or Microsoft sacrifice innovation or price for power, they will lose.

ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
MDMAlliance said:
ninjablade said:
IsawYoshi said:
ninjablade said:
Neogaf is doing a gpu tear down, they paid chips work 200$ to do the job, so we will no if wii u is weaker or stronger then current gen soon.

While I hate to speak about this, the wii u is more powerfull than the curent gen! For gods sake, they would have to put effort into making it worse to do so! However the wii u is built in a different way, in other words the games need to be programmed different to make them run better on the wii u. Also, many developers have stated that it is a more powerfull machine than the current gen, like frozenbyte and gearbox.

actually until beyond 3d confirms its more powerful, i don't know if it is, many developers have said its on par, some have said its more powerful, multiplatform games show its weaker, i asked the question on beyond3d http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=60501&page=174 i'm shinobi on there, they told me it could be weaker or stronger by 20%.

Because OBVIOUSLY only if the website YOU go to confirms it, then and only then could it possibly be true.  Wii U > PS360 in terms of its capabilities, "power" is a term I see people using way too loosely as it can mean several different things but I would still say it is pretty much confirmed that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360.  Even the Sony and Microsoft fans making fun of the Wii U recognize this.

its not only the the website i go too, it's one of the most trusted websites, its has many insiders and tech experts on there, many people from neogaf, i wouldn't trust some no name website or even a developer working for only nintendo/sony or micrsoft, reggi lied on national tv saying blops 2 runs and looks better on wiiu.

Your mistake is trusting any PR at all, PR is shit from any corporation.

who said i trust pr, people here do, they keep on using shinen which only makes games for nintendo and not even impressive at that.

It makes more sense to trust a developer with a proven track record of technical excellence and a demonstrated understanding of the hardware than a bunch of anonymous forumgoers who've probably never even worked with the hardware, or if they have, they most likely produced poor or mediocre work.

If I want to know about the PS3 hardware, I'll trust Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. If I want to know about the GC/Wii hardware, I'll trust Fatcor 5 and Shin'en. If I want to know about the Wii U's hardware, I'll trust the likes of Frozenbyte, or yes, Shin'en.

If the makers of the best looking Wii U games come out and say it's on par with the PS360, I'll believe it. But I'm not going to believe it from people who've either never made a game for it, or never made an impressive game for it.

newwil7l said:
ninjablade said:
KHlover said:

Don't forget the Gameboy, the DS, and the 3DS, all of which beat/are beating much more powerful competitors.

It makes more sense to trust a developer with a proven track record of technical excellence and a demonstrated understanding of the hardware than a bunch of anonymous forumgoers who've probably never even worked with the hardware, or if they have, they most likely produced poor or mediocre work.

If I want to know about the PS3 hardware, I'll trust Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. If I want to know about the GC/Wii hardware, I'l trust Facor 5 and Shin'en. If I want to know about the Wii U's hardware, I'll trust the likes of Frozenbyte, or yes, Shin'en.

If the makers of the best looking Wii U games come out and say it's on par with the PS360, I'll believe it. But I'm not going to believe it from people who've either never made a game for it, or never made an impressive game for it.

so you expect a developer to bite the hand that's feeding them, you will never hear naught dog complain about ps3 limitation, samething for shinen or 343 studios, you can trust multiplatform developers to a certain degree, in the end it's all specualtion, if you actually read beyond3d, they only deal with facts, if you come in there with fanyboy specualtion they will ban, and i respect that about them.