By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii U Design Focused on Memory Efficiency

Tagged games:

ninjablade said:

It makes more sense to trust a developer with a proven track record of technical excellence and a demonstrated understanding of the hardware than a bunch of anonymous forumgoers who've probably never even worked with the hardware, or if they have, they most likely produced poor or mediocre work.

If I want to know about the PS3 hardware, I'll trust Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. If I want to know about the GC/Wii hardware, I'l trust Facor 5 and Shin'en. If I want to know about the Wii U's hardware, I'll trust the likes of Frozenbyte, or yes, Shin'en.

If the makers of the best looking Wii U games come out and say it's on par with the PS360, I'll believe it. But I'm not going to believe it from people who've either never made a game for it, or never made an impressive game for it.

so you expect a developer to bite the hand that's feeding them, you will never hear naught dog complain about ps3 limitation, samething for shinen or 343 studios, you can trust multiplatform developers to a certain degree, in the end it's all specualtion, if you actually read beyond3d, they only deal with facts, if you come in there with fanyboy specualtion they will ban, and i respect that about them.

Unless those Beyond3D users are devs who have worked on the most impressive Wii U games, then they can't give a definitive answer either. Facts like the GPU clock and stuff like that is only part of  the story; to truly know its potential you need to become intimately familiar with not only every individual part of the hardware, but how it all works together best, how to exploit its strengths, clever tricks to squeeze more power out of it by using clock cycles or managing memory more efficiently. Therefore, the ones who get the best results out of it are the most qualified to answer.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

It makes more sense to trust a developer with a proven track record of technical excellence and a demonstrated understanding of the hardware than a bunch of anonymous forumgoers who've probably never even worked with the hardware, or if they have, they most likely produced poor or mediocre work.

If I want to know about the PS3 hardware, I'll trust Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. If I want to know about the GC/Wii hardware, I'l trust Facor 5 and Shin'en. If I want to know about the Wii U's hardware, I'll trust the likes of Frozenbyte, or yes, Shin'en.

If the makers of the best looking Wii U games come out and say it's on par with the PS360, I'll believe it. But I'm not going to believe it from people who've either never made a game for it, or never made an impressive game for it.

so you expect a developer to bite the hand that's feeding them, you will never hear naught dog complain about ps3 limitation, samething for shinen or 343 studios, you can trust multiplatform developers to a certain degree, in the end it's all specualtion, if you actually read beyond3d, they only deal with facts, if you come in there with fanyboy specualtion they will ban, and i respect that about them.

Unless those Beyond3D users are devs who have worked on the most impressive Wii U games, then they can't give a definitive answer either. Facts like the GPU clock and stuff like that is only part of  the story; to truly know its potential you need to become intimately familiar with not only every individual part of the hardware, but how it all works together best, how to exploit its strengths, clever tricks to squeeze more power out of it by using clock cycles or managing memory more efficiently. Therefore, the ones who get the best results out of it are the most qualified to answer.

the problem with the wiiu, is it's not ahead of its time, you could say both 360/ps3 were ahead of there time and that's why finally after 7 years we know there potential, the wiiu is not exotic hardware, nor is it cutting edge, after neogaf gets gpu alaysis, we will pretty much know its potential because it not new tech, other wise if it was, there is no way it would be running inferior ports of 7 year old consoles.

ninjablade said:
Neogaf is doing a gpu tear down, they paid chips work 200$ to do the job, so we will no if wii u is weaker or stronger then current gen soon.

100% of Named 3rd Party Devs say it is a minimum of 150% as powerful graphics then the PS3.

They have the Dev Kit to all video game systems you know?

But I have come across a lot of users who choose to go in denial about what all Named 3rd Party Devs have said about Home & Handheld Consoles.

So please just listen to the "Named" 3rd Party Devs, instead of other users on the Internet........Trust Me.

ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

the problem with the wiiu, is it's not ahead of its time, you could say both 360/ps3 were ahead of there time and that's why finally after 7 years we know there potential, the wiiu is not exotic hardware, nor is it cutting edge, after neogaf gets gpu alaysis, we will pretty much know its potential because it not new tech, other wise if it was, there is no way it would be running inferior ports of 7 year old consoles.

The 360 wasn't really exotic hardware either. Powerful, yes, exotic no. 

On the Wii U: firstly, the CPU and GPU are customized, not off the shelf. Secondly, systems are more than the sum of their parts. Even once you get the hang of the custom CPU/GPU's perks and quirks, you have to get the hang of how every individual part interfaces with every other individual part, and how to manage all of these different interactions for the best results. That takes time and extensive experience, which nobody has yet.

curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

The 360 wasn't really exotic hardware either. Powerful, yes, exotic no. 

On the Wii U: firstly, the CPU and GPU are customized, not off the shelf. Secondly, systems are more than the sum of their parts. Even once you get the hang of the custom CPU/GPU's perks and quirks, you have to get the hang of how every individual part interfaces with every other individual part, and how to manage all of these different interactions for the best results. That takes time and extensive experience, which nobody has yet.

I understand what your saying but the gpu alaysis will tell us if its weaker, more powerful or on par, the analysis will show us every single customised feature in the gpu, or you can just believe in hidden power.

Around the Network

ninjablade said:

Does it really matter either way though? All the games regardless the system will look amazing next-gen. Especially when developers take full advantage of the system rather than porting. 

Kaizar said:

ninjablade said:
Neogaf is doing a gpu tear down, they paid chips work 200$ to do the job, so we will no if wii u is weaker or stronger then current gen soon.

100% of Named 3rd Party Devs say it is a minimum of 150% as powerful graphics then the PS3.

They have the Dev Kit to all video game systems you know?

But I have come across a lot of users who choose to go in denial about what all Named 3rd Party Devs have said about Home & Handheld Consoles.

So please just listen to the "Named" 3rd Party Devs, instead of other users on the Internet........Trust Me.

tecmo, vigil, all claim it's on par, not to mention metro last light which cancelled the wiiu version after looking at the dev kit, claiming the cpu was too weak.

ninjablade said:

I understand what your saying but the gpu alaysis will tell us if its weaker, more powerful or on par, the analysis will show us every single customised feature in the gpu, or you can just believe in hidden power.

What the specs of something are and what it can achieve in real world performance are often two VERY different things.

ninjablade said:

tecmo, vigil, all claim it's on par, not to mention metro last light which cancelled the wiiu version after looking at the dev kit, claiming the cpu was too weak.

So I'm supposed to take the word of 2 devs who've only made one technically unremarkable port each on the system, and one dev who's never even gone that far?

*Sound Of Rain said:

ninjablade said:

Does it really matter either way though? All the games regardless the system will look amazing next-gen. Especially when developers take full advantage of the system rather than porting. 

ps4/720 games will make wiiu look dated, they will still look nice but really dated for instants playing crysis on console vs crysis moded ultra on pc.

curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

What the specs of something are and what it can achieve in real world performance are often two VERY different things.

ninjablade said:

So I'm supposed to take the word of 2 devs who've only made one technically unremarkable port each on the system, and one dev who's never even gone that far?

reality is beyond3d and neogaf are the best sources, especially beyond3d that's what the foundation of the website is, you can believe what ever you want in the end. you obviously don't really care about specs and believe its up to the developer, no point in argiung with you.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan