By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii U Design Focused on Memory Efficiency

Tagged games:

zero129 said:
curl-6 said:

What he being banned for? I mean, I disagree with him, but he didn't seem to be out of line besides deliberately stirring up trouble. I mean, he didn't flame anyone or outright post, "lolz the pii u is crap and if you like it ur a pathetic nintendrone lolololol."

I guess I'm still not overly familiar with this site's rules, so if he was banned for being negative and stirring people up, then I suppose that works. One of the reasons this site is so much more pleasant than other game sites is the mods actually do their job. :)

Hahahahaha you pretty much answered your own question.

Well, I was theorisin'... ;)

I'm not sad to see him go.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zero129 said:
curl-6 said:

What he being banned for? I mean, I disagree with him, but he didn't seem to be out of line besides deliberately stirring up trouble. I mean, he didn't flame anyone or outright post, "lolz the pii u is crap and if you like it ur a pathetic nintendrone lolololol."

I guess I'm still not overly familiar with this site's rules, so if he was banned for being negative and stirring people up, then I suppose that works. One of the reasons this site is so much more pleasant than other game sites is the mods actually do their job. :)

but but, my VG Points that I can't turn into cash!

dahuman said:
curl-6 said:
zero129 said:
curl-6 said:

but but, my VG Points that I can't turn into cash!

Honestly, I don't know how those points work. XD

Getting back to the original topic, this does seem in line with the Gamecube/Wii's emphasis on fast and efficient memory management rather than sheer horsepower. My question is, how big a hurdle is this to game engines designed with the higher clocked PS3/360 CPUs in mind? Will taking advantage of the Wii U CPU this require heavily modified engines, or just tweaked ones?

Kaizar said:
ninjablade said:
Kaizar said:

ninjablade said:
Neogaf is doing a gpu tear down, they paid chips work 200$ to do the job, so we will no if wii u is weaker or stronger then current gen soon.

100% of Named 3rd Party Devs say it is a minimum of 150% as powerful graphics then the PS3.

They have the Dev Kit to all video game systems you know?

But I have come across a lot of users who choose to go in denial about what all Named 3rd Party Devs have said about Home & Handheld Consoles.

So please just listen to the "Named" 3rd Party Devs, instead of other users on the Internet........Trust Me.

tecmo, vigil, all claim it's on par, not to mention metro last light which cancelled the wiiu version after looking at the dev kit, claiming the cpu was too weak.

Well, those 3rd parties make their engines differently from almost all others.

For instance; Metro fully relies on the CPU only for its games, the Metro engine does not use neither GPU nor RAM for any & all of their games, but is made for modern graphics, LOL. So to run Metro at 100% capacity, you would need next Gen PCs. It's clearly an Engine made by people who know the littlest about how video games run since the 1990'sfor crying out loud.

Long story short, you choose bad 3rd party engines for your example, especially Metro, which is the most ignorant engine made in the 21st Century that I can think of.

????

What are you talking about? How can any modern game not use GPU or RAM? What you said is completely false. And there are plenty of games that still require a decent CPU and are more CPU limited than GPU limited.

ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
This is an interesting read as well, gives you a good idea on just how bottle necked the 360 and PS3 are.
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/17/wiiu-memory-story/

why would you go there when we have neogaf and beyond3d, only the most trusted websites in the busines http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=60501&page=174.

Because I've been a member on those sites for a long time and I know for a fact that they are not always right since I'm in the IT business as well and I would rather not use them as a source because those places can be full of idiots just like everywhere else. You will notice that a lot of times, their discussions are always based on PC specs, so while the PC discussions are fine and good, the console ones can be really trashy based on my experience.

so you know for a fact wiiu is more powerful then 360/ps3? the link you posted focuses on a no name website that biased to nintendo, the people that responded to me were mods on beyond3d from a well  known and respected website.

I said it's an interesting read, how you want to take it is not exactly one of my concerns, and it's easy to say that it's faster if I sprout shit like performance per watt which is a fact :P . Like I said, Beyond3D is very good when talking about subjects based on PC specs, but I don't trust them for shit when it comes to new consoles, I still remember the hay days when the 360 came out, so much bullshit back then too.

I'm asking you though, do you know for a fact wiiu is more powerful then 360/ps3? what did they say about 360, i remeber reading that both 360 and ps3 were pretty even on beyond3d and sony fans went crazy.

Yes, we do know for a fact that the U is more powerful than the 360. 4 times more memory, 3 times more CPU cache, more than 3 times more eDRAM on die for the GPU rather than a daughter die and a GPU with a DX11-equivalent feature set compared to the DX9 feature set that Xenos has.

It would actually be more expensive for Nintendo to release a console on par with or less powerful than the 360.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Kaizar said:
ninjablade said:
Kaizar said:

ninjablade said:
Neogaf is doing a gpu tear down, they paid chips work 200$ to do the job, so we will no if wii u is weaker or stronger then current gen soon.

100% of Named 3rd Party Devs say it is a minimum of 150% as powerful graphics then the PS3.

They have the Dev Kit to all video game systems you know?

But I have come across a lot of users who choose to go in denial about what all Named 3rd Party Devs have said about Home & Handheld Consoles.

So please just listen to the "Named" 3rd Party Devs, instead of other users on the Internet........Trust Me.

tecmo, vigil, all claim it's on par, not to mention metro last light which cancelled the wiiu version after looking at the dev kit, claiming the cpu was too weak.

For instance; Metro fully relies on the CPU only for its games, the Metro engine does not use neither GPU nor RAM for any & all of their games, but is made for modern graphics, LOL. So to run Metro at 100% capacity, you would need next Gen PCs. It's clearly an Engine made by people who know the littlest about how video games run since the 1990'sfor crying out loud.

Long story short, you choose bad 3rd party engines for your example, especially Metro, which is the most ignorant engine made in the 21st Century that I can think of.

????

What are you talking about? How can any modern game not use GPU or RAM? What you said is completely false. And there are plenty of games that still require a decent CPU and are more CPU limited than GPU limited.

It's how the Enigne makes the game run, like Sumo on PS Vita & Home Consoles which makes their version only run at a maximum of 30 fps, well the Wii U has a better frame rate on Sumo dispite displaying 2 different video images at once for its own version of the game.

Luckily the 3DS version of "Sonic Racing" runs at a refresh rate of 180 (60 fps per image), so it has the best version of Sonic & all stars racing transformed.

So engines can easily ruin a game's ability to run on a system.

And Metro is the worst game ENGINE to have a game run on.

Heres another example, Sumo engine will give Nintendo an advantage on video games with its Engine, but Metro will give PS3 & 360 an advantage instead. (but the PS3 & 360 needs its more newer firmware to have a more powerful CPU, then the Wii U)

Kaizar said:
Scoobes said:
Kaizar said:

????

It's how the Enigne makes the game run, like Sumo on PS Vita & Home Consoles which makes their version only run at a maximum of 30 fps, well the Wii U has a better frame rate on Sumo dispite displaying 2 different video images at once for its own version of the game.

Luckily the 3DS version of "Sonic Racing" runs at a refresh rate of 180 (60 fps per image), so it has the best version of Sonic & all stars racing transformed.

So engines can easily ruin a game's ability to run on a system.

And Metro is the worst game ENGINE to have a game run on.

Heres another example, Sumo engine will give Nintendo an advantage on video games with its Engine, but Metro will give PS3 & 360 an advantage instead. (but the PS3 & 360 needs its more newer firmware to have a more powerful CPU, then the Wii U)

I'm not sure why that makes their engine design dated. It's just different because it was designed around hardware prior to the WiiU, and it's actually quite GPU intesive too with numerous different lighting and real-time effects as well as tessellation. The engine is designed to take full advantage of powerful hardware (latest GPU tech and multi-core CPUs), not just pure CPU power. Regardless, plenty of developers still heavily use the CPU and the GPU alone cannot make up for a weaker CPU (GPGPU algorithms are still not ready for most developers to readily transfer code except for a few cases like physics).

If they are correct, this could seriously restrict other CPU heavy multiplatform games on WiiU like the majority of WRPGs, nearly all RTS games and a good number of others such as Battlefield 3 (e.g. Frostbite 2 engine is fairly CPU limited- http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18459152). 

KHlover said:
Expanations for a non-tech guy, good sir?

It means X, it means Pikmin 3, it means The Wonderful 101, it means Bayonetta 2, it means Shin Megami Tensei Cross Fire Emblem, it means Wind Waker HD, it means Yarn Yoshi, it means new Zelda, new 3D Mario, new Mario Kart. It means Vita is life, Wii U is hometown.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.