By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii U Design Focused on Memory Efficiency

Tagged games:

This is an interesting read as well, gives you a good idea on just how bottle necked the 360 and PS3 are.
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/17/wiiu-memory-story/

Around the Network

It even does not matter if the GPU are DirectX capable, why? here is your answer:

"So what exactly is wrong with D3D for GPU computing? It's the appalling quality of the shader compiler. It crashes, or it takes tens of minutes to return, or it generates bogus code.

Worse still, Microsoft has adopted a you can't handle the truth attitude towards developers concerning hardware features. Direct3D does not report warp size to the developer, and HLSL does not support volatile modifiers for groupshared memory. This is not an accidental omission; it is a design choice to insulate programmers from platform differences. While this may make sense for graphics (and I think that in 2011, that position needs revisiting), it is a pointless attitude for GPU computing. This is not an example of failing to coax a tool do something it wasn't designed to do: DirectCompute's entire purpose is to enable high-performance GPU computing inside Direct3D, and at that it is a failure. Microsoft has not bothered fixing many disastrous compiler bugs; the most recent DX SDK (June 2010) is more than a year old, and I recall the compiler not even being updated since the release of the preceding February".

It is a little old, but it tackle everything you need to know about GPGPU-based coding.

http://www.moderngpu.com/intro/intro.html

There are other important things like

"To reduce control hardware to a minimum while hitting near 100% execution efficiency, GPUs employ two design features: SIMD execution and latency hiding. These are a disruptive technology in the history of computing. Textbook algorithms that would compile on any platform from the past three decades will not run, or will run very inefficiently, on GPU hardware. Hardware vendors promote the performance of GPUs, which is in fact astonishing, but soft peddle the architectural differences, so as not to scare off IT managers. The truth is that GPUs are a different beast. You can toss out your algorithms books; they are of no use here. By keeping SIMD execution and latency hiding in mind, however, you will discover GPGPU idioms that allow the development of traditional CS functions (such as sorts, covered here in depth), using very different algorithms and workflow."

You read that, right? "You can toss out your algorithms books, they are of not use" implying last gen PC's and consoles architecture are not useful for the Wii U nor the next XBOX and PS. My point is that there in no need to say the Wii U is not in the same gen as the next XBOX or PS. That is my whole point, don't need to hate any system, just enjoy the system of your preference.

dahuman said:
This is an interesting read as well, gives you a good idea on just how bottle necked the 360 and PS3 are.

why would you go there when we have neogaf and beyond3d, only the most trusted websites in the busines http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=60501&page=174.

ninjablade said:
AgentZorn said:
ninjablade said:
Neogaf is doing a gpu tear down, they paid chips work 200$ to do the job, so we will no if wii u is weaker or stronger then current gen soon.

Or wait and see the games do the talking. 

sure but we already know what current gen is capable of though, no matter how good the developer is there going to be limited by power.

Thats a rather ignorant statement to make. Developers from last gen had consoles that where less powerful than this gen but that did not stop them from making good games.

IsawYoshi said:
ninjablade said:
Neogaf is doing a gpu tear down, they paid chips work 200$ to do the job, so we will no if wii u is weaker or stronger then current gen soon.

While I hate to speak about this, the wii u is more powerfull than the curent gen! For gods sake, they would have to put effort into making it worse to do so! However the wii u is built in a different way, in other words the games need to be programmed different to make them run better on the wii u. Also, many developers have stated that it is a more powerfull machine than the current gen, like frozenbyte and gearbox.

actually until beyond 3d confirms its more powerful, i don't know if it is, many developers have said its on par, some have said its more powerful, multiplatform games show its weaker, i asked the question on beyond3d http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=60501&page=174 i'm shinobi on there, they told me it could be weaker or stronger by 20%.

Around the Network
snowdog said:
If I had a Watson I'd start playing the violin, taking copious amounts of heroine and start solving crimes. :oD

What no cocaine in a 7% solution ?

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

ninjablade said:
IsawYoshi said:
ninjablade said:

While I hate to speak about this, the wii u is more powerfull than the curent gen! For gods sake, they would have to put effort into making it worse to do so! However the wii u is built in a different way, in other words the games need to be programmed different to make them run better on the wii u. Also, many developers have stated that it is a more powerfull machine than the current gen, like frozenbyte and gearbox.

actually until beyond 3d confirms its more powerful, i don't know if it is, many developers have said its on par, some have said its more powerful, multiplatform games show its weaker, i asked the question on beyond3d http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=60501&page=174 i'm shinobi on there, they told me it could be weaker or stronger by 20%.

Because OBVIOUSLY only if the website YOU go to confirms it, then and only then could it possibly be true.  Wii U > PS360 in terms of its capabilities, "power" is a term I see people using way too loosely as it can mean several different things but I would still say it is pretty much confirmed that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360.  Even the Sony and Microsoft fans making fun of the Wii U recognize this.

MDMAlliance said:
ninjablade said:
IsawYoshi said:
ninjablade said:

Because OBVIOUSLY only if the website YOU go to confirms it, then and only then could it possibly be true.  Wii U > PS360 in terms of its capabilities, "power" is a term I see people using way too loosely as it can mean several different things but I would still say it is pretty much confirmed that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360.  Even the Sony and Microsoft fans making fun of the Wii U recognize this.

its not only the the website i go too, it's one of the most trusted websites, its has many insiders and tech experts on there, many people from neogaf, i wouldn't trust some no name website or even a developer working for only nintendo/sony or micrsoft, reggi lied on national tv saying blops 2 runs and looks better on wiiu.

ninjablade said:
dahuman said:

why would you go there when we have neogaf and beyond3d, only the most trusted websites in the busines http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=60501&page=174.

Because I've been a member on those sites for a long time and I know for a fact that they are not always right since I'm in the IT business as well and I would rather not use them as a source because those places can be full of idiots just like everywhere else. You will notice that a lot of times, their discussions are always based on PC specs, so while the PC discussions are fine and good, the console ones can be really trashy based on my experience.

ninjablade said:
IsawYoshi said:
ninjablade said:

Never judge any platform by multiplats. The wii u has a different architecture than ps3 and 360, and not everybody cared enough to enhance the game to the levels of the wii u. Frozenbyte said that trine 2 on the wii u was so graphically powerful that it would need to be downscaled if it should be on ps3 or xbox 360. Also, aliens for the wii u will be the best looking version of the game on consoles, acording to gearbox. AND, the tech inside ps3 and xbox 360 were nearly outdated at their launch, as I said, nintendo would need to put effort into making their system worse. Not to mention that many of the games displays to seperate images at one time, witch is straining on the hardware.