By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q3 FY2012 - $124m loss, PS3+PS2 6.8m, PSV+PSP 2.7m

zumnupy10 said:
kowenicki said:

Sony's full year forecast was unchanged. The company expects to generate 6.6 trillion yen ( £45b / $70.6b) in revenues, up 1.6 per cent year-over-year, and a net profit of 20 billion yen (£136m / $214m), compared to a loss of 456.7 billion yen (£3.1b / $4.9b) a year earlier.

This forecast is unlikely to say the least.  Sony will have to deal with a  $600 million loss for the full year.

Nope... there are the building sales to be posted... ~$700 million.

Around the Network

Will Sony split the numbers during the conference call?

ethomaz said:
zumnupy10 said:
kowenicki said:

Sony's full year forecast was unchanged. The company expects to generate 6.6 trillion yen ( £45b / $70.6b) in revenues, up 1.6 per cent year-over-year, and a net profit of 20 billion yen (£136m / $214m), compared to a loss of 456.7 billion yen (£3.1b / $4.9b) a year earlier.

This forecast is unlikely to say the least.  Sony will have to deal with a  $600 million loss for the full year.

Nope... there are the building sales to be posted... ~$700 million.

I thought this money would be for the next fiscal year.

Vinniegambini said:
Kynes said:
ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

but they also predict a drop in hardware sales across the board from previous estimates.  the only reason that stays the same is due to the building sale.

thats bad.

The ~$600m is to be posted in Q4... I'm just saying what the news about Q3 are saying... the company go back to operation profit.

It's not bad... even stocks are up after hours (well I don't know what means after hours).

Edit - After Hours: 16.26 +0.44 (2.78%) 

Having to sell a 1.1 billion US$ to barely have profits is something you can't do every year. Being an electronics company and losing money in the most profitable quarter of the year tells you the real situation of the company.

The situation is dire. Furthermore, judging by Nikkei reports that the PS4 will launch at over 400$, thus effectively catering to more 'high-end' consumers, Sony is again in the same situation as the PS3, a money losing business. Expect more losses in the gaming division.

AFAIK the 1.1B$ will be counted in Q4 and not Q3..

Sony is almost doomed! How long will they be able to carry those enormous losses. I think their last positive quarterly report was almost 10 years ago, Sony is undoubtedly not that far away from its end. The ps4 must be a really huge success for them, otherwise they are doomed.

Around the Network

So much for making a profit... also Vita: Abysmal, what a bloody joke that Sony had the nerve to say we shouldn't judge it before it's first holiday, the Sony guy who forecast 16M should be fired.

Also, they're banking their only chance on making some $$ for the year on selling a building?

So much for Kaz being an instant saviour.

... Wow that sounded like a rant. :P

@ Gaming division

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM?

Maybe for Vita, yes. I don't see how you can predict so high for it, slash the forecast by half and still try and pretend the numbers are acceptable. Far from it.

But looks like the PS3 is undertracked by no more than 450k, or they underestimated demand...perhaps next Quarter or the investors meeting will answer this. Overall, this could have been worse for the PS3, so that's good.

One thing seems certain, though. If the PS4 struggles to the same degree as the Vita, then PlayStation is in serious trouble.

Don't screw this up, Sony.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

kowenicki said:

I also think this slide is useful from Sony.

Shows the corporate picture much better than just a bunch of numbers.

All shrinking in revenue except Pictures, Music and Mobile.

Surprised Music hasn't grown more given the recent acquisition. 

Well Mobile and Music are up due to buy-outs of Sony Ericsson and EMI. Check the text with **

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I don't think we could expect much more as it's clear the recovery for them was going to take some time after years of mismanagement.