By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q3 FY2012 - $124m loss, PS3+PS2 6.8m, PSV+PSP 2.7m

Gaming is OK as long as PS4 has a good launch. It's still mobile and TV that needs to be sorted out so that they move into positive income territory. Good that Devices went from -ve in 2011 to +ve this year.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

in the graph about what does IP&S, MP&C, HE&S and devices stand for?

kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
The Vita is already lost. Left it too late to do anything significant.

It needed a big game. Monster Hunter. Gran Turismo. GTA. It needed at least ONE big game. Sony fucked up. Its probably a pretty big money drain when you look at the advertising. It got a lot of media attention in that last Quarter... Wasted money on a product that simply isnt competing.

Im surprised at the loss. Expected a small profit.

Also surprised that the PS3 is under by ~700k. Unless Sony overshipped it of course.

As I have been saying for the last 18 months.  You cant overship.

360 and PS3 both undertracked by 700k or so.

Now that it includes the PS3 I expect everyone will now agree with me. 

Exactly Kowen, I still don't get this obsession with over-shipping/"stuffing the channels". Like Sony's gonna sneak a few more ps3's into every order what it gets from retailers! It's the retailers fault if they order too many, not Sony's.

OT: Pretty bad from Sony still. Was really expecting them to post ~$300 million profit due to what Sharp and Panasonic were posting. Still think the gap is more and less the same, doesn't really matter anymore anyway. $6 million profit for Games section is OK considering R&D for PS4 and awful sales of Vita. Not looking good when PS4 comes out though, the losses are going to be big.

Ouch, those Vita numbers are terrible.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

These numbers make for some depressing reading :(

kowenicki said:

I also think this slide is useful from Sony.

Shows the corporate picture much better than just a bunch of numbers.

All shrinking in revenue except Pictures, Music and Mobile.

Surprised Music hasn't grown more given the recent acquisition. 

Thanks for the chart Kowen, could you please tell us what IP&S, MP&C" and HE&S stand for? And what is and isn't included in Devices? Seems quite a broad section.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
RolStoppable said:
kowenicki said:

I also think this slide is useful from Sony.

Shows the corporate picture much better than just a bunch of numbers.

All shrinking in revenue except Pictures, Music and Mobile.

Surprised Music hasn't grown more given the recent acquisition. 

Their operating income improved in every segment, except gaming. Conclusion: PlayStation is dragging down Sony and needs to be sold off.

You said that not me.

The point I was making is that their revenue is down in most, the company is shrinking. This may be good for profitability in the long run, it may not. 

We shall see.

How are they shrinking if total revenues are up 7%? And then down in most what? Pictures, Music, Mobile and Finance are up, 4 out of 8 divisions.

kowenicki said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

Thanks for the chart Kowen, could you please tell us what IP&S, MP&C" and HE&S stand for? And what is and isn't included in Devices? Seems quite a broad section.

this will help

im not really good with these numbers but if you add the operating income of each segment together it add to a postive number. how did they lose money then this quarter?

bananaking21 said:
kowenicki said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

this will help

im not really good with these numbers but if you add the operating income of each segment together it add to a postive number. how did they lose money then this quarter?

Because net income is different than operating income. Net income also includes other expenses like tax, interest etc.

zumnupy10 said:

I thought this money would be for the next fiscal year.

The official document says next quarter.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5096602

ps3 passed 360

im second place, and you?