By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can Nintendo gamers even talk about other system failing?

prayformojo said:
Aielyn said:
prayformojo said:

Nintendo has released 6 home consoles, and out of those, only two were dominant.

Three, by my count. NES, SNES, and Wii.

From 1991 to 1994 the SNES was outsold by the Genesis. That's not dominant.

First of all, you'll need a source for that claim. Or was it only outsold in one region?

Second of all, the SNES sold nearly 50 million units. The Genesis didn't even reach 30 million. Doesn't matter how you twist it, that's a big relative difference. And the SNES also sold a LOT more software - the Genesis sold just over 175 million units of software, the SNES sold nearly 380 million units. That's more than double.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
J_Allard said:
Why are people arguing about the PS2 as if Sony is ever going to start giving us real numbers again lol.

Well, you're missing the fact that Sony still sells millions in countries like Indonisia, Ethiopia, Brazil, the Sudan, Honduras, Columbia, Zimbabwe, Ecuador, Liberia, and Belize. They just haven't been tracked anywhere. The number for PS2 sales is a lot higher than just what the sales data suggests.

Nintendo also shipped 40 million to the planet Pryptok for the Glondonian Settlement but don't expect those to be tracked until all the Pryptonians are eradicated and off of Earth.

Aielyn said:
prayformojo said:
Aielyn said:
prayformojo said:

Nintendo has released 6 home consoles, and out of those, only two were dominant.

Three, by my count. NES, SNES, and Wii.

From 1991 to 1994 the SNES was outsold by the Genesis. That's not dominant.

First of all, you'll need a source for that claim. Or was it only outsold in one region?

Second of all, the SNES sold nearly 50 million units. The Genesis didn't even reach 30 million. Doesn't matter how you twist it, that's a big relative difference. And the SNES also sold a LOT more software - the Genesis sold just over 175 million units of software, the SNES sold nearly 380 million units. That's more than double.

Anyone who knows their history knows that the Gensis outsold the SNES until DKC released. Sega abandoned the Genesis shortly after, releasing the ill fated Saturn which allowed the SNES to reap the rewards until 1996. Yes, the SNES "won", but it was far from dominant. Nintendo's only had two dominant consoles, the NES and Wii.

spurgeonryan said:

When the Wii U is in the state it is in. The 3DS is just finally fully recovering from a disasterous blanch, and the Wii went out with a whimper.

Does it make them feel better?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Are you talking about other systems failing because of poor relability? Because if so, YES Nintendo Gamers can smack talk other systems reliability. Even Sony pales in comparision to Wii's, what 0.2% fail rate, and Microsoft especially.

Are you talking about console sales? Because YES, while Wii U is having a slow start, it's still doing amazing in Japan, and will likely pick up in sales with the release of better exclusives.

As for making themselves feel better.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

prayformojo said:
Anyone who knows their history knows that the Gensis outsold the SNES until DKC released. Sega abandoned the Genesis shortly after, releasing the ill fated Saturn which allowed the SNES to reap the rewards until 1996. Yes, the SNES "won", but it was far from dominant. Nintendo's only had two dominant consoles, the NES and Wii. 

I question anything that bases itself on "everybody knows that...". You claim that the Genesis outsold the SNES until DKC released. Do you have numbers to back this up? Are the numbers worldwide or American?

Note that, according to VGChartz, the SNES outsold the Genesis by almost a factor of 5 in Japan. This is just one example of why I suspect that your information is from US only.

Around the Network

I think is just matter of time and the Wii U will sell a lot. 3DS had his hard time but right now is selling very very good.
I am hoping that Nintendo have more third party support and this is going to be good. :)

Aielyn said:
prayformojo said:

I question anything that bases itself on "everybody knows that...". You claim that the Genesis outsold the SNES until DKC released. Do you have numbers to back this up? Are the numbers worldwide or American?

Note that, according to VGChartz, the SNES outsold the Genesis by almost a factor of 5 in Japan. This is just one example of why I suspect that your information is from US only.

The SNES only won in Japan, as far as I know. The Genesis outsold it in Europe and the US, where it sold 20 million units. Having said that, the SNES didn't pull ahead and destroy the Genesis until Sega had pretty much moved on with the Sega Cd and 32X/Saturn non sense. Either way you spin it, it's far from dominance.

http://segatastic.blogspot.com/2009/12/mega-drive-sales-figures-update.html (there are links to sales data there)

prayformojo said:
The SNES only won in Japan, as far as I know. The Genesis outsold it in Europe and the US, where it sold 20 million units. Having said that, the SNES didn't pull ahead and destroy the Genesis until Sega had pretty much moved on with the Sega Cd and 32X/Saturn non sense. Either way you spin it, it's far from dominance.

http://segatastic.blogspot.com/2009/12/mega-drive-sales-figures-update.html (there are links to sales data there)

Actually, your link doesn't have links to sales data. It has links to one claim regarding sales of Genesis in the US - a figure which comes from the New York Times making a vague comment (there's really no way to know if they accurately reported, or if they interpreted "America" sales as "US" sales, for instance). And then the vast majority of the rest of the "data" regarding the Genesis comes from another Sega fansite, which itself doesn't provide any source whatsoever.

Surely Sega must have posted official shipped figures at some point.

And even by the numbers given there, the SNES outsold the Mega Drive in Europe. Figure given by that site for Europe: 6.9 million. Nintendo shipped figure for "Other" (which, at the time, was almost entirely Europe, with a bit of Australia thrown in) is 8.6 million. Non-European "other" back then wouldn't have been more than maybe 10%, so you're still looking at 7.8 million at least.

And once again, the SNES sold more than twice as many units of software as the Genesis. That's what I'd call dominance, even if hardware sales were more similar.

The SNES and Genesis were really close in the West, Sega just had no presence in Japan. And I speak as someone who actually was old enough to remember that era well, lol. Awesome time to be a gamer.

To say one "dominated" the other is silly.

The only real dominant platforms have been IMO, the NES, the Playstation, the Playstation 2, Game Boy/GBC, and Nintendo DS.

Aielyn said:
prayformojo said:

Actually, your link doesn't have links to sales data. It has links to one claim regarding sales of Genesis in the US - a figure which comes from the New York Times making a vague comment (there's really no way to know if they accurately reported, or if they interpreted "America" sales as "US" sales, for instance). And then the vast majority of the rest of the "data" regarding the Genesis comes from another Sega fansite, which itself doesn't provide any source whatsoever.

Surely Sega must have posted official shipped figures at some point.

And even by the numbers given there, the SNES outsold the Mega Drive in Europe. Figure given by that site for Europe: 6.9 million. Nintendo shipped figure for "Other" (which, at the time, was almost entirely Europe, with a bit of Australia thrown in) is 8.6 million. Non-European "other" back then wouldn't have been more than maybe 10%, so you're still looking at 7.8 million at least.

And once again, the SNES sold more than twice as many units of software as the Genesis. That's what I'd call dominance, even if hardware sales were more similar.

I suppose then, that it comes down to our definition of the word "dominance". To me, it means when one console pulls away from all the others to the point where from day ONE, it was never even close. The NES, PS1,PS2 and Wii dominanted. The SNES and Gensis were pretty much neck and neck for years.