By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can Nintendo gamers even talk about other system failing?

Chrizum said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Yakuzaice said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Yakuzaice said:
SuperMarioWorld said:

nah i doubt it dude. 

Are you just ignoring the fact that the PS2 shipped 600k in Jan-Mar 2012 alone?

exactly "shipped"

Your point?  The numbers we've been talking about have all been shipped seeing as how there are no reliable WW PS2 sell through numbers, and the DS numbers here are clearly inaccurate considering VGC has the DS selling more than it shipped.  If the DS outships the PS2, then you can expect PR from Nintendo about how they have the best selling video game system.

Well I can't comment on DS numbers but I'm pretty sure PS2 numbers on VGC are pretty accurate.

No they are not, ioi admitted it himself.

i said "pretty" accurate. They are only a million or so off at most.

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:
Devil_Survivor said:
UncleScrooge said:

I'm a Nintendo fan but I bash criticize every console that sells poorly. When the 3DS was unveiled I said it wouldn't sell and criticized for their mistakes. When the Vita sold horrible I pointed out how bad sales were, put them into perspective and called those out who said sales were alright. I'm doing the same now with the Wii U.

From my experience fans of any console will always defend it no matter how horribly it sells. People saying the Vita (and to some extend the Wii U) just need more time are just kidding themselves - both consoles are selling below Gamecube level. There's only so much a price cut can do (you can actually roughly calculate the effect of a price cut --> sales elasticity) and it's really hard to dig yourself out of a sales hole.

Edit: I used the word "bashing" wrong lol

Only so much a price cut can do? Really? It did wonders for the 3DS and it made it the best selling console in the world atm. The fact remains Nintendo dug the 3DS out, why cant Sony do the same with Vita or Nintendo with Wii U?

Because I'm talking facts. Just google "Price Elasticity of demand." It's a basic concept of a free market economy. The lower sales of a product are, the lower (in absolute (!) numbers) the sales spike will be after a price cut. The % increase in sales that a price cut will result in can be measured if one knows how high price elasticity in a market is.

Ok, well I just gave a example from recent history that seems to least prove there can be exceptions to that concept. I didn't study economics in university, studied political science, however I dont doubt your correct about probaby 90 percent of the products out there I'm just simply stating some products can early sales hell and go on to sell very well like 3ds is doing now. Thanks for the lesson on markets.

prayformojo said:

Nintendo has released 6 home consoles, and out of those, only two were dominant. Yes, that's right. It may shock the under 21s in here to understand this, but Nintendo has lost just as much as it's won. During the DC/PS2/Xbox and Gamecube era, they were the butt of every joke. From being kiddy, to "it's a purple toy lunch box", no one cared about Gamecube. Even their games, like WW and SMS were not liked (history has been revised by the little kids at the time who are now old enough to voice their opinon online. Believe me, the cartoon Link was mocked and hated).

It was a little weird watching all the kids of the Gamecube era take to the internet, and boast about how unbeatable Nintendo was and how the Wii-U will take names, because they're "Nintendo" and thus, should never be doubted. If you thought that, you were either too young to know better, or don't know your history.

The difference of course is that in generations where Nintendo wasn't "dominant" sales wise, they still make a **** load of money. MS and Sony on the other hand have spent generation after generation sacrificing profit for hardware sales. "lost as much as its won" is nowhere near accurate. Compare that comment to Sony, who has the #2 selling console of all time, PS2, and yet the PS3 has erased everything they earned from the PS2.

WW and SMS both sold millions of copies and have meta scores in the 90's. Just because you saw a couple trolls on GameFAQS trash the game does not mean they were not liked.

Aw, the ry guy still hurting about N64/GC era? Virtual hugzz!

SuperMarioWorld said:
Yakuzaice said:
SuperMarioWorld said:

exactly "shipped"

Your point?  The numbers we've been talking about have all been shipped seeing as how there are no reliable WW PS2 sell through numbers, and the DS numbers here are clearly inaccurate considering VGC has the DS selling more than it shipped.  If the DS outships the PS2, then you can expect PR from Nintendo about how they have the best selling video game system.

Well I can't comment on DS numbers but I'm pretty sure PS2 numbers on VGC are pretty accurate.

Actually, VGC numbers for DS are over by ~800K, while they are at least under for the PS2 by ~3M.  And considering the DS only just passed the PS2's shipment numbers from late 2011, I think its safe to say the PS2 will remain king.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Actually, VGC numbers for DS are over by ~800K, while they are at least under for the PS2 by ~3M.  And considering the DS only just passed the PS2's shipment numbers from late 2011, I think its safe to say the PS2 will remain king.

The DS is still selling, the PS2 is no longer being manufactured. With, at worst, a 5 million difference right now, there is a quite respectable chance that the DS will overtake the PS2. The DS did only just pass the PS2 shipment numbers from late 2011... but what that really means is that the DS has sold better than the PS2 relative to launch, and has a reasonable chance of selling better in terms of final numbers.

Aielyn said:
thismeintiel said:

The DS is still selling, the PS2 is no longer being manufactured. With, at worst, a 5 million difference right now, there is a quite respectable chance that the DS will overtake the PS2. The DS did only just pass the PS2 shipment numbers from late 2011... but what that really means is that the DS has sold better than the PS2 relative to launch, and has a reasonable chance of selling better in terms of final numbers.

Not selling much, as shipments show.  And as I stated, it's already been shown it is ~800K overtracked.  Also, it has never been confirmed the PS2 has been discontinued, only that it has stopped shipping to Japan.  If Sony stops combining PS3 & PS2 in their Q4 report for March, then it will be confirmed.  Now, at the rate the DS is selling now, which is probably still overtracked, it will take over 7 months to make that back up.  And considering DS sales for 2012 were actually ~2.7M, if the DS is down another 61%, that would put total lifetime sales at the end of 2013 at ~154M.  That would make it ~154.5M shipped.  Still ~3M less than where the PS2 sits today.  And if you think Nintendo is going to keep the DS on the market for more than 3 years more, just to pass the PS2, you have another thing coming.

I think its time Nintendo fans let thi one go.  Being the 2nd best selling console of all time is nothing to sneeze at.

thismeintiel said:
Not selling much, as shipments show.  And as I stated, it's already been shown it is ~800K overtracked.  Also, it has never been confirmed the PS2 has been discontinued, only that it has stopped shipping to Japan.  If Sony stops combining PS3 & PS2 in their Q4 report for March, then it will be confirmed.  Now, at the rate the DS is selling now, which is probably still overtracked, it will take over 7 months to make that back up.  And considering DS sales for 2012 were actually ~2.7M, if the DS is down another 61%, that would put total lifetime sales at the end of 2013 at ~154M.  That would make it ~154.5M shipped.  Still ~3M less than where the PS2 sits today.  And if you think Nintendo is going to keep the DS on the market for more than 3 years more, just to pass the PS2, you have another thing coming.

I think its time Nintendo fans let thi one go.  Being the 2nd best selling console of all time is nothing to sneeze at.

Shipments for FY2013 are expected to be 2.3 million. There is no reason to expect it to be "down another 61%" - for one thing, January sales of DS do not support this, as it's not down nearly that much. More importantly, December sales, where most of the units get sold, were only down about 39% last year, and the drop was even smaller for November, which is the second-biggest month.

I don't expect Nintendo to keep the DS on the market to pass the PS2. I expect them to keep it on the market because the 3DS has that pesky minimum age and the DS is continuing to sell (outside of Japan, of course), not to mention that third parties are still making games for the system.

As for Sony ending production... here you go: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/sony-confirms-production-end-for-playstation-2-worldwide/

I don't think Nintendo will survive this gen. In fact I predict that

1. Wii U will place third in lifetime* sales compared to PS4/Nextbox

2. As a result of 1, Nintendo will significantly withdraw** from the home console market and focus primarily on handheld markets.

*Lifetime measured at the first sale of the first next-gen console
** significantly withdraw means business restructuring and modification (like Sega's route) or complete withdrawal.

Aielyn said:
thismeintiel said:

Shipments for FY2013 are expected to be 2.3 million. There is no reason to expect it to be "down another 61%" - for one thing, January sales of DS do not support this, as it's not down nearly that much. More importantly, December sales, where most of the units get sold, were only down about 39% last year, and the drop was even smaller for November, which is the second-biggest month.

I don't expect Nintendo to keep the DS on the market to pass the PS2. I expect them to keep it on the market because the 3DS has that pesky minimum age and the DS is continuing to sell (outside of Japan, of course), not to mention that third parties are still making games for the system.

As for Sony ending production... here you go: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/sony-confirms-production-end-for-playstation-2-worldwide/

You do realize that if they meet their expectations, that only puts DS shipments at 153.82.  This will mean they only expect to ship ~150K in Q1 2013.  That's 67% down YOY, which will probably stay flat or get worse for the rest of the year.  Of course, that doesn't change that Sony predicted to ship ~3M PS2s for their FY, which given their shipment numbers and statements, it seems like they will make that prediction.  Yet another deficit that the DS must make up for.  Again, at the current rate of decline, it will take the DS 3 or more years to pass the PS2.  Which won't happen, as Nintendo will take it off of shelves sometime in 2014, if not earlier. 

As for the production link, I'm not sure how reliable the Guardian is, but I'm not going to believe it til either Sony confirms it with a statement (with final numbers) or if FY Q4 rolls around and there are only PS3 numbers.  Until then, we only have the word of one paper report, that no one bothered to confirm with Sony, and contains grossly outdated shipment numbers.