By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can Nintendo gamers even talk about other system failing?

It's ridiculous that people actually think the DS will fail to outsell the PS2 even though it is discontinued.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
It's ridiculous that people actually think the DS will fail to outsell the PS2 even though it is discontinued.

The DS is basically discontinued outside of the Americas.  It has been 89% of the shipments for the past 9 months, and only 30k DS's were shipped elsewhere in the holiday quarter.  The PS2 was even outshipping it this past year from the numbers we can deduce.  We know for Jan-Mar the PS2 shipped 600k compared to the DS shipping 460k.  The DS shipped less than a million in the first two quarters of this Fiscal Year.  In comparison, a rough estimate puts the PS2 at a million for Q1 alone (The PS2/PS3 shipped 2.8 million, the PS3 shipped 1.8 million the previous year, and was down or at best flat for the quarter.)  The DS was likely ahead for the holiday quarter, but sales are rapidly dropping, and there is still a fairly significant gap.

They only expect 150k in Q4 which would be down 67.4% YoY.  If that held true through the year, the DS would only ship 850k in 2013.  This would still leave it below the PS2's total shipment of 155.1 by March 2012.  If it did at least another million in the rest of 2012, then the DS would still be 1.58 million away at the end of 2013.  If it only does 850k that year, it is unlikely that shipments will be high enough to pass the PS2 before being discontinued.

newwil7l said:

It's more ridiculous that people think it will, without looking at trends.  The PS2 sits at ~156.6M-156.8M.  With Q3 added in, it will probably be closer to 157.4M.  So, if you care to explain how the DS is going to sell over 3.7M in the next 1 1/2-2 years, even with its strong declines, I'd more than happy to listen.

Sony officially stated that PS2 had sold 153 million PS2s only 1 year ago. How did they suddenly sell 3 million more in 2012?

DS will be best selling console no doubt.

thismeintiel said:
newwil7l said:

It's more ridiculous that people think it will, without looking at trends.  The PS2 sits at ~156.6M-156.8M.  With Q3 added in, it will probably be closer to 157.4M.  So, if you care to explain how the DS is going to sell over 3.7M in the next 1 1/2-2 years, even with its strong declines, I'd more than happy to listen.

Look, can we all agree that the 3DS will outsell the PS2 in the next 5 to 8 years?

3D sells more better then 2D as Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters 3D has shown with all other 3D movies coming out.

Thor 2 3D

Iron Man 3 3D

Man of Steel (Superman) 3D

Jurassic Park 4 3D

The Avengers 2 3D

And I am just going to stop before I end up posted the same long ass list I did on another Thread for the 3D films list (but the thread had nothing to do with LOL)

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
newwil7l said:

Well I hate to brake it to you but the PS2 hasn't sold 156 million +

I don't even get why people still buy new PS2 and DS´.The marked is very saturated, and you can find great deals on both consoles, especially PS2, securing you for example 50 games, memory cards and extra controllers, for less than you would pay for nothing but the console in the store. I bought up two such collections already, and I plan to buy more when I see the good deals.

newwil7l said:
thismeintiel said:
newwil7l said:

Oh, but it has. If you wish to ignore the numbers, that's your prerogative , but it won't make the DS sell over 3.5M-3.7M more before Nintendo discontinues it.

thismeintiel said:
newwil7l said:

Oh, but it has. If you wish to ignore the numbers, that's your prerogative , but it won't make the DS sell over 3.5M-3.7M more before Nintendo discontinues it.

I feel I should point out to both of you that we don't actually know the exact number sold, in part due to the fact that nobody is tracking sales of the system anymore. We know how many Sony have shipped, and that's the best we have. Has it sold over 156 million? Maybe. Maybe not. Both of you need to see that we don't have enough information to be certain either way.

As for how many the DS can sell before Nintendo discontinues it... I think it goes well beyond reasonable to presume to tell anybody when Nintendo will discontinue the DS. There's things we don't know exact values for, and then there's this - something which we don't even have a ballpark figure for. You have NO idea how long Nintendo will continue to sell the DS for, or how consistently it will sell in that time.

The best thing you can say right now is that it's not a given that the DS will overtake the PS2. It's also not impossible. Stop trying to argue otherwise.

SuperMarioWorld said:
Sony officially stated that PS2 had sold 153 million PS2s only 1 year ago. How did they suddenly sell 3 million more in 2012?

DS will be best selling console no doubt.

The 153.6 million figure was as of September 2011.  In the next 6 months they shipped 1.5 million.  There were another 9 months before they apparently stopped manufacturing PS2's.  At least an additional 1.5 million is reasonable.