By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lack of great JRPG's this gen on Home Consoles.

Tagged games:

Will next gen be better for JRPG's?

Yes 37 35.24%

No 36 34.29%

What happened to Square Enix? 32 30.48%

Total:105
Mad55 said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
lots of jrpgs appeared on the 360 early this gen and it did not go well

MS never really gave them the spotlight and 360 fans never rewarded them with sales

it took the Japanese some years until recently that they started getting out of their shell once again this time on the PS3

...and Atlus is absent.

Actually those early 360 games sold pretty good for jrpgs. According to vgchartz Vesperia,The last remnant, Lost odyssey, infinite undiscovery and blue dragon all sold alright. Their also alll over half a million on here. Dont know if thats right or not but its there. Im willing to say those game ive just mentined are better thana lot of the ps3 exclusives like disgea, Atelier Roronoa, cross edge and hyper demension(EWW). Though there are some great ones as well.

I have had a lot of fun with jrpgs this gen especially those earlier ones for the 360 I do think theres less available, but I wouldn't say theres a lack of great ones. No genre this gen or last just kept putting out top notch super good games in my opinion. 

First of all, your argument is misleading since Disgaea and Atelier Rorona are certainly not wide appeal games and even considering that their sales have never been better than on the PS3.

Second of all, the two big series "tales of" and "Star Ocean" underperformed on the 360, simple as that. What's more a title from ol' mighty Square Enix themselves "The last remnant" was outperformed by the much troubled small production of Nier which was likewise published by Square.

Mistwalker, tri ace, Namco Tales Studio,  Square Enix all them had 360 exclusives and all of them jumbed ship. 

My point stands, MS barely gave the support that these Japanese developers deserved and the 360 crowd never rewarded their endevor to turn to the US market and accordingly transform their games into simpler and less challenging, action oriented experiences.

Around the Network
Mad55 said:
lots of jrpgs appeared on the 360 early this gen and it did not go well

MS never really gave them the spotlight and 360 fans never rewarded them with sales

it took the Japanese some years until recently that they started getting out of their shell once again this time on the PS3

...and Atlus is absent.

Actually those early 360 games sold pretty good for jrpgs. According to vgchartz Vesperia,The last remnant, Lost odyssey, infinite undiscovery and blue dragon all sold alright. Their also alll over half a million on here. Dont know if thats right or not but its there. Im willing to say those game ive just mentined are better thana lot of the ps3 exclusives like disgea, Atelier Roronoa, cross edge and hyper demension(EWW). Though there are some great ones as well.

I have had a lot of fun with jrpgs this gen especially those earlier ones for the 360 I do think theres less available, but I wouldn't say theres a lack of great ones. No genre this gen or last just kept putting out top notch super good games in my opinion. 

First of all, your argument is misleading since Disgaea and Atelier Rorona are certainly not wide appeal games and even considering that their sales have never been better than on the PS3.

Second of all, the two big series "tales of" and "Star Ocean" underperformed on the 360, simple as that. What's more a title from ol' mighty Square Enix themselves "The last remnant" was outperformed by the much troubled small production of Nier which was likewise published by Square.

Mistwalker, tri ace, Namco Tales Studio,  Square Enix all them had 360 exclusives and all of them jumbed ship. 

My point stands, MS barely gave the support that these Japanese developers deserved and the 360 crowd never rewarded their endevor to turn to the US market and accordingly transform their games into simpler and less challenging, action oriented experiences.

Lol JRPG's in general are not wide appeing games for the most part. now with nier are you combining ps3 and 360 vs the last remnants just 360 sales? If so not fair as the last remnant outsold both versions on their own.

It was not microsofts job to support those japanese developrs to the levels that you speak of. those developers had other publishers putting their games on the 360 who were responsible for that. Except for mistwalker whose best seling games are on 360 and they never jumped ship as you say, they never had allegiance to microsoft. If I remember correctly blue dragon sold within the studios expectations. 

Also star ocean sold better on 360 according to vgchartz.  

I think that SONY could re-edited retro games on PSN.

I was just thinking about Wild Arms Alter Code f which was never released in Europe. It would be great to play this game.

Actually I've sent a mail to Media Vision for releasing Wild Arms Alter Code f on PSN . Also I've just sent 2 tweets to Sony (USA and Japan).

I need your advices to know if I have to send a tweet to Sony Europe.

Nice to meet you :).

You can visit this blog for Zero no Kiseki and Sen no Kiseki guide

http://wajinokiseki.blogspot.be/

NobleTeam360 said:

Anyone else think their was a lack of great RPG's this generation? Last gen had a lot of awesome and wonderful RPG's but this gen has been very bland with a lot of average at best RPG's being released with the exception being Namco Tales of Vesperia, Xillia, and Graces. Of course this is my opinion but I would like to hear everyone elses. 

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Lost Odyssey

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

The Last Story

Valkyria Chronicles

XenoBlade Chronicles

More to the world then just Tales of and Final Fantasy (which was okay this gen).

----

I voted Yes. This gen we didn't get a lot of JRPG's because no one developed for Nintendo. Plus WRPG's started popping left right and center on the 360 and PS3, and MS tried to pay for exclusive JRPG's on the 360, which then bombed in sales.

Next gen, I don't think Square Enix will allow MS to buy so many exclusives based on how poorly they did this gen, and how MS suddenly stopped publishing JRPG's (like Lost Odyssey).

I also think because Wii U appeal more to "hardcore" gamers this gen, and because developing for the Wii U is much cheaper then the PS4/NextBox, Japanese developers will start developing Nintendo exclusive JRPG's a bit more frequently. Japanese developers are already siding with Nintendo heavily when it comes to portable games (3DS gets Monster Hunter 4, and almost all the JRPG's), and I think we're going to see a shift like this on home consoles too. It won't be as good as the days of SNES/PS1/PS2, but I think next gen we will see more JRPG's appear on Nintendo systems exclusively.

Plus Wii U is already on a good roll, with X and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem announced. Wii only had about 3 good JRPG's (I hear mixed things about Symphonia 2 and Graces never localized) in it's lifetime and Gamecube had 6. Wii U already has 2 announced, both will likely release within the next 20 months, and I'm thinking that Final Fantasy XV might be a Wii U exclusive, or a WiiU/PS3/PS4 title. So WiiU might not do as good as Gamecube, but it should top Wii.

As for PS4, it could break even with PS3.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

this thread needs more Lightning

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
It's a niche genre that had a boom and the bubble burst.

when will the WRPG burst?

It did burst after the 70s and 80s, the golden times for them. WRPGs today are only a sad relic of the greatness of once. Only console-only players think WRPGs got stronger recently, as many series are going multiplat to console now.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
enditall727 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

It did burst after the 70s and 80s, the golden times for them. WRPGs today are only a sad relic of the greatness of once. Only console-only players think WRPGs got stronger recently, as many series are going multiplat to console now.

And that's what I call the hipster approach.

Mnementh said:
enditall727 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

And that's what I call the hipster approach.

What do you talking about? I only said, that the time of the WRPGs is long over, they had their golden times long back then every year a lot of games were produced. And legendary and highly influencing games like Ultima, Wizardry or Might and Magic. What is hipster about truthfully answering enditalls question?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]