By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3rd Quarter Results (Oct-Dec) - Profit of over 450 million US

Train wreck said:

I never changed my stance on the Wii U having a bad quarter, it did, and will only benefit Nintendo on the revenue line, it will do nothing about profitability which is the original premise of this thread and my original comment.  And I still believe that heavy retail discounting will effect Nintendo's results in a negative way.  But ill wait two days for Nintendo to confirm my suspicions.

Well as everything get's heavily dicounted by retailers at the holidays, you expect all consumer-electronics-companies to post the worst results on the quarter Oct-Dec? Well, your logic is incredible. You don't even longer mention your former statement about the WiiU.

Well then, I don't expect very good results either, but your arguments are really funny.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Tagged

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Mnementh said:
Train wreck said:

I never changed my stance on the Wii U having a bad quarter, it did, and will only benefit Nintendo on the revenue line, it will do nothing about profitability which is the original premise of this thread and my original comment.  And I still believe that heavy retail discounting will effect Nintendo's results in a negative way.  But ill wait two days for Nintendo to confirm my suspicions.

Well as everything get's heavily dicounted by retailers at the holidays, you expect all consumer-electronics-companies to post the worst results on the quarter Oct-Dec? Well, your logic is incredible. You don't even longer mention your former statement about the WiiU.

Well then, I don't expect very good results either, but your arguments are really funny.

Well most retailers have a two month window to sell merchandise at normal/seasonal prices and the real discounting happens between black friday and the weekend before christmas.  And not all products are discounted, look at apple.

For the purposes of Nintendo, an example would be the 3DS XL mario kart 7 bundle announce November 28th for Sales on December 3 to be discount by best buy on December 15th.  That, to me at least, is a move by NA Nintendo, not best buy as the 3DS and mario kart 7 was already selling decently.

And the Wii U was and still is a debacle, i dont know how to make it more clear than that. Again we will see in 2 days.

Train wreck said:
Mnementh said:
Train wreck said:

Well most retailers have a two month window to sell merchandise at normal/seasonal prices and the real discounting happens between black friday and the weekend before christmas.  And not all products are discounted, look at apple.

For the purposes of Nintendo, an example would be the 3DS XL mario kart 7 bundle announce November 28th for Sales on December 3 to be discount by best buy on December 15th.  That, to me at least, is a move by NA Nintendo, not best buy as the 3DS and mario kart 7 was already selling decently.

And the Wii U was and still is a debacle, i dont know how to make it more clear than that. Again we will see in 2 days.

What will we see, that my assumption comes true, that Nintendo don't do that hot? That wouldn't in the least proof your line of argumentation.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Train wreck said:

I actually put together some numbers that would show he's wrong but I just deleted it.  I orginally came to this site to see the latest sales figures but got interested in what some gamers might have to say.  But instead of enthusiasm about certain games or genres, I see mostly negative opinions about everything.  So Im about to give up on chiming in or reading this side of the web page.

But I hope if I could summarize my observations here.  Video games are dirt cheap.  Consoles are dirt cheap.  Too many people here are too into the small stuff.  If the same amount of time and effort could be spent in real life, everyone has a chance to easily afford every platform, every game, every DLC and every in game items and not have to get so emotional about it.

If a person takes pride in being knowledgeable, then follow through on that and dig in and do some research.  Just too many lazy opinions here.  Taking pride on a game console is ...laughable..it's just a couple hundred dollars toy!  Turning that pride into hating other consoles....to the point of stalking and dooming every chance one gets.....

Live a bigger life and maybe everything will be fun and games too.  Make ego count in real life.  There are million ways to make millions and games ought to be fun!!!  

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
fedfed said:

I am talking about 3ds been the best selling console and Wii u having a decent start (oct/dec).

If we are thinking that Nintendo is not profittable and knowing the massive profit made by Call of Duty - I think that there is no hope for the console making company in all gaming industry.

Again, there is more to the industry than COD and Nintendo. If Activision does well thanks to CoD, and Nintendo doesn't make profit due to its console strategy, that really means nothing you know. Not only are there so many other publishers than Nintendo and Acti out there, but Nintendo losing money doesn't mean the industry is dead, it just means Nintendo is losing money.

If they are, it could be due to currency, bad platform strategy, loss leading, mobile gaming and so many other things. It doesn't mean Nintendo is not good, it just means they might be losing money.

With the U loss-leading and the 3DS making a small margin afaik, it's not completely out of question either.

@asriel. Imho they need to lower MSRPs across the board.

Hey I know that. I just wanted to point out the difference between making lots of money selling software and loosing (hopefully not) making hardware.

Not many companies are doing good at all actually... we are more and more seeing loss instead of profit. COD was only teh example of massive profit year after year!

The gaming market is much more than that... thanks fxxk!

Switch!!!

I'm no fortune guru, but I see this can go either way, but more on the loosing profit... but we'll see.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

It's already 30th in Japan... what time is the conference??

ethomaz said:
It's already 30th in Japan... what time is the conference??

Nintendo always releases their 3rd quarter results at 4:00pm in Japan (after stock market closes). Expect the results at 1:00 am eastern standard time.

Tagging