By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3rd Quarter Results (Oct-Dec) - Profit of over 450 million US

Tagged

Around the Network

For the quarter they made a profit, enough that it will bring the Nintendo's year so far even, so their profitablity will depend on this current quarter.

Tagged for profits

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

About 6M for 3DS, 1.8M for wii and min 2.5M for Wii U

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Profit for quarter? Absolutely, no one should even be questioning that. Profit for year? That's the question. WiiU and 3DS are below expectations while Wii and DS are selling above. WiiU is selling at a loss, so in some respects that may be a good thing. But the news for the quarter should be good.

Around the Network
Tarumon said:
Just for those of you who actually follows Nintendo as a company (I have lost any interest in reading most comments on this site after seeing so little knowledge but so strong of opinion just maybe one too many times). The way Nintendo keeps its books, if they have a profit, they book the profit when sold. But if they have a loss, they book the loss when the product is made.

So the actual shipment, retail sales of Wii Us will likely have no impact 9/12-12/12 due to the fact that Nintendo was producing units at full capacity. However many they could manafacture, they did, and the loss was anticipated as they were made, even back in 6/12-8/12 quarter. Nintendo forecast a motherload of Wii Us, so they estimated more losses on the hardware for the full year than they are on pace to achieve. Software on the other hand, most likely did have some profit built in, but because they expense any R&D, the software variable cost component is more manageable so maybe they could have slowed down as it became evident that they weren't selling as many.

Fiscal 3 quarter is almost guaranteed to be profitable. Fiscal 4th almost guaranteed to be ugly, but since Yen has potential to hit 100, Abenomics might just turn that quarter into profits from exchange rates alone. I personally expect bette than forecast buttomlines with a dampened top line outlook, with some serius drum beating for 2013 as the year company fires on all cylinders.

This sounds like a sound outlook. Good Q3, nasty Q4 that will be kept from being an unmitigated disaster by the Yen, and then a "desperate" Nintendo who will be all the more determined to play hardball, and we get some good shit when Nintendo plays hardball

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

happydolphin said:
fedfed said:

JEZEZ AMN!

According to you Nintendo will announce their end instead of profit.

If so you know that gaming industry in general is dead?

So basically only Call of Duty is making profit. what a sad world.

What are you talking about man. Read his post and answer his arguments. Also, Nintendo isn't the center of the gaming universe you know, and COD isn't the center of the non-Nintendo gaming universe either.

You make us look bad.

The main problem with his post is that he said that the U was a connundrum. That's not true for Q3.

I am talking about 3ds been the best selling console and Wii u having a decent start (oct/dec).

If we are thinking that Nintendo is not profittable and knowing the massive profit made by Call of Duty - I think that there is no hope for the console making company in all gaming industry.

Switch!!!

Tarumon said:
Just for those of you who actually follows Nintendo as a company (I have lost any interest in reading most comments on this site after seeing so little knowledge but so strong of opinion just maybe one too many times). The way Nintendo keeps its books, if they have a profit, they book the profit when sold. But if they have a loss, they book the loss when the product is made.

So the actual shipment, retail sales of Wii Us will likely have no impact 9/12-12/12 due to the fact that Nintendo was producing units at full capacity. However many they could manafacture, they did, and the loss was anticipated as they were made, even back in 6/12-8/12 quarter. Nintendo forecast a motherload of Wii Us, so they estimated more losses on the hardware for the full year than they are on pace to achieve. Software on the other hand, most likely did have some profit built in, but because they expense any R&D, the software variable cost component is more manageable so maybe they could have slowed down as it became evident that they weren't selling as many.

Fiscal 3 quarter is almost guaranteed to be profitable. Fiscal 4th almost guaranteed to be ugly, but since Yen has potential to hit 100, Abenomics might just turn that quarter into profits from exchange rates alone. I personally expect bette than forecast buttomlines with a dampened top line outlook, with some serius drum beating for 2013 as the year company fires on all cylinders.

Thanks for that more informed outlook.

Tagged to see trolling and numbers for January 30th.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

How big is the shift in the yen?

The single biggest factor in hampering Nintendo's finances in the last couple of years has been the strong yen: it completely eroded their ability to post meaningful profit. Obviously a weaker yen wouldn't have seen Nintendo return to DS/Wii type profits, but it would have changed the conversation around Nintendo from "Losses because of smartphones and so on and so forth" to "Nintendo continues to grind out profit despite increasing competition".

If, even with the weaker yen and profitable 3DS business, Nintendo don't manage to profit over-all, then serious questions should now be asked about their core business. Nintendo have repeatedly missed their own sales estimates recently; software sales on 3DS in particular have really undershot expectations. With Wii U sales grinding down at an alarmingly fast rate, Nintendo need to do something to be able to sell more software. Releasing titles would be a big help (this quarter is very quiet), but I firmly believe Nintendo need to introduce more flexible pricing across digital and retail to shift more software and strengthen their long-term outlook.