By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wind Waker looking considerably uglier on HD

I think the OP is mistaken when saying that HD does a disservice to cell shading, and I agree with others who see this upcoming version as using a similar, albeit not identical style to Wind Waker. Just check out 1080p pics of Wind Waker on the Dolphin Emulator. Infinitely more clear than the jaggy stills used to show the gamecube graphics, but not one change in style exists because the graphics are ripped directly from the gamecube rom.

I agree that old STYLE is better, but this re-imagined Wind Waker still looks great!

Around the Network
-Newcloud- said:

Look at the forest on top of the mountain, I expect more from a HD console

edit: you removed the picture I was talking about

This is not a remake built ground up for wii u, its a port. They're still using the Gamecube textures and models. Hence the bad looking foliage 

teigaga said:
-Newcloud- said:

This is not a remake built ground up for wii u, its a port. They're still using the Gamecube textures and models. Hence the bad looking foliage 

I'm not so certain. I think it's half and half. They say they're going to tweak the gameplay to make it better, but lots seem to be the same.

I expect something like OoT 3D- Different artstyle with some slight tweaks to gameplay to make it better. Only difference is that they'll go one step further and fix problems with the game and add stuff they had to take out.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

what? It looks way better!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

no one saw it in motion ofcourse it looks like plastic

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
teigaga said:
-Newcloud- said:

I'm not so certain. I think it's half and half. They say they're going to tweak the gameplay to make it better, but lots seem to be the same.

I expect something like OoT 3D- Different artstyle with some slight tweaks to gameplay to make it better. Only difference is that they'll go one step further and fix problems with the game and add stuff they had to take out.

Gameplay wise they be adding things but from a graphics perspective 90% of assets appear to be unchanged, again the key difference between the 2 is the lighting. This game is in no way a reflection of how windwaker would actually look if it was made for the Wii U.  Look at the comparison pic, the textures are almost all identical. Obviously a few thing will be remade, one of the obvious things seen from the pic is the gorgeous new sky box.

Bear in mind the camera angle are not exactly the same in each shot.

They may have exaggerated on the bloom a little bit, but come on, look at these shadows!

HD looks better.

I don´t think it looks worse than on the GC.
And I won´t judge it by it´s artstyle.
I have to see it in motion before.