By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wind Waker looking considerably uglier on HD

pezus said:

That has nothing to do with the HD....If you really believe cell-shading looks uglier in HD you need to check your eyesight. It looks different because Nintendo have clearly gone with a different style for the remake. The characters are more 3D and clay-ish

Yeah, they essentially changed the artstyle by doing this. 

Whether that's a plus or minus is up to whoever.

Around the Network

I'm the biggest Wind Waker fan you'll find. It's my favorite game of all time. But this is bad. It really looks like a mishmash.

What made Wind Waker so incredibly gorgeous was that they OWNED the cel shaded style and it was everywhere. The game looked like a incredibly well drawn cartoon, and to me, that's amazing.

From what I've seen of this version, it looks like some of it is till that nice cartoon look, and some of it is like a CGI mess. Then they threw in a whole bunch of bloom. Why couldn't they just keep the trademark cartoon look?

I'm really angry at the people in this thread who are saying that Nintendo can never do anything right, and that people will never be happy. People are allowed to have opinions. If you love this new look, great, good for you, but you must realize that some people prefer the original cohesive cartoon look.

How I read the OP:

Wii U version looks soooooo much better. To be honest, I would like a bit more cel-shading, but I'd like to see it in action before making my judgement.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I agree with the OP, for the most part. While the game does look very nice, it lacks the charm that the GameCube version had. I'd still buy it, though, because WW is, like, the best game in existence.

Hopefully they'll redo the soundtrack with a live orchestra as well. That'd be swell.

Around the Network

I don't see how anyone can say it looks uglier but the HD version has definitely moved away from the graphical style of wind waker. As many have said, it looks more like clay then the cel shaded gamecube title. I was a tad dissapointed but I still think it looks great, and playing WW in a slightly different art style will add to whole point of replaying it.

I assume they wanted to do more then just a 1080p upgrade (i wouldn't really be interested if thats all it was) but equally if they wanted to replicate WW artstyle but show off the added power of the wii U they would of had to recreate almost all of the assets and then it would literally be a remake. With this new approach, they seem to have taken the texures/characters models fro teh GC title but thrown over a new lighting system which has essentially made it look brand new. I'm sure they've remade some of the textures (like the signs) but for the most part I assume this was the quickest way to make the game look noticably "better" without having to devote to much time to it.

Edit: Not all of wind waker was cell shaded. many of the environments were in the same style as this HD remake. just with crappier. If you post teh comparison screens, this is even more evident.

pezus said:

That has nothing to do with the HD....If you really believe cell-shading looks uglier in HD you need to check your eyesight.

Exactly. It's like saying that an anime movie looks uglier with an improved pixel count.

OP: It's the style that you don't like. I loved how the GC original looked as well, but from what I can tell I don't see that they're abandoning the cartoon look too much. Personally, I love the way it looks from the screenshots so far (a little overdone on the bloom perhaps, but we'll see how it looks in the end), and I certainly can't agree that it looks "considerably uglier".

The new art style gives me more of a reason to play Wind Waker once more. If it was a straight up upscaling job, I probably would pass it up.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

If you like the Cube version better, feel free to play that.

I'm excited to do the part where you infiltrate the fortress and have to move around in barrels and avoid detection and spot lights.

I bet that will look really cool with the enhanced lighting