By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the #1 best third party game on Wii? (No last gen ports)

And the winner is...

Monster Hunter Tri 64 35.56%

Goldeneye 007 18 10.00%

Rayman Origins 14 7.78%

Tatsunoko vs Capcom 7 3.89%

No More Heroes 12 6.67%

No More Heroes 2 12 6.67%

Little King's Story 8 4.44%

Other 45 25.00%

Total:180
curl-6 said:
outlawauron said:
curl-6 said:

- Rayman being better on other platforms doesn't mean there's no need to buy it as many of its intended audience will own only a Wii.

- No More Heroes has dumbed down controls on PS3/360 unless you own a Move, so not better.

-A bad remake.

- And vastly inferior on those other platforms.

-No it isn't.

-False. It sold better on PS3 and 360 than it did on Wii. (.71 and .55 versus 0.42 respectively)

Doesn't mean many of its audience aren't Wii only owners, possibly as many as 420k by those numbers.

- No More Heroes has a much needed facelift and you still have the option for motion controls if you want them. Considering that the motion for the game was pretty gimmicky, I don't see how you can use that as an argument. It's also only on PS3 though.

The motion added to the gameplay, it was satisfying to slice baddies with it. And since you needed a whole extra add-on to get this on PS3, something that comes with the Wii version out of the box, I'll still give Wii the nod.

- The PS2 version only scored 2% less. While I would probably get the Wii version over it (for obvious reasons), it's not vastly inferior.

Review scores aren't some absolute measure of quality, and even if you conider the to be, the PS2 version got vastly fewer reviews, and dropping metacritic scores as review counts go up is a well documented occurrence. 

- It does mean that its intended audience apparently isn't on the Wii. Shoot, the Vita version isn't far behind the Wii version in sales.

- The motion did add to it, but I thought it became kinda dumb and reptitive towards the end of the game. Especially considering the volume of enemies and the ever increasing amount of times you do. The novelty wore off. It's worse in NMH2 than the first, imo.

- I absolutely agree they are not absolute measures, there's not much else to use. Unless you're running a comparison pointing why the PS2 is vastly inferior (and I empathize the vastly part), I don't know what else is better to objectively use.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
curl-6 said:
outlawauron said:
curl-6 said:

- Rayman being better on other platforms doesn't mean there's no need to buy it as many of its intended audience will own only a Wii.

- No More Heroes has dumbed down controls on PS3/360 unless you own a Move, so not better.

-A bad remake.

-No it isn't.

-False. It sold better on PS3 and 360 than it did on Wii. (.71 and .55 versus 0.42 respectively)

Doesn't mean many of its audience aren't Wii only owners, possibly as many as 420k by those numbers.

- No More Heroes has a much needed facelift and you still have the option for motion controls if you want them. Considering that the motion for the game was pretty gimmicky, I don't see how you can use that as an argument. It's also only on PS3 though.

The motion added to the gameplay, it was satisfying to slice baddies with it. And since you needed a whole extra add-on to get this on PS3, something that comes with the Wii version out of the box, I'll still give Wii the nod.

- The PS2 version only scored 2% less. While I would probably get the Wii version over it (for obvious reasons), it's not vastly inferior.

Review scores aren't some absolute measure of quality, and even if you conider the to be, the PS2 version got vastly fewer reviews, and dropping metacritic scores as review counts go up is a well documented occurrence. 

- It does mean that its intended audience apparently isn't on the Wii. Shoot, the Vita version isn't far behind the Wii version in sales.

- The motion did add to it, but I thought it became kinda dumb and reptitive towards the end of the game. Especially considering the volume of enemies and the ever increasing amount of times you do. The novelty wore off. It's worse in NMH2 than the first, imo.

- I absolutely agree they are not absolute measures, there's not much else to use. Unless you're running a comparison pointing why the PS2 is vastly inferior (and I empathize the vastly part), I don't know what else is better to objectively use.

- I said "many of its intended audience." 420k constitutes "many" in the context to my mind.

- The thrill of that motion finisher was such a part of the NMH experience that without it the game just wouldn't be as satisfying to me.

- There is no objective measure of a game's quality really. It's down to subjective views, and that's mine.

curl-6 said:
outlawauron said:
curl-6 said:
outlawauron said:
curl-6 said:

-A bad remake.

-No it isn't.

- I said "many of its intended audience." 420k constitutes "many" in the context to my mind.

- The thrill of that motion finisher was such a part of the NMH experience that without it the game just wouldn't be as satisfying to me.

- There is no objective measure of a game's quality really. It's down to subjective views, and that's mine.

around 20%, so it not's like the port wasn't worthwhile. It seems we hit the wall though.

outlawauron said:
chris_wing said:

@ outlawauron
I never said they were the best versions , & I didn't add on any disclaimer that wasn't there from the original post that I quoted. Will you say Battlefield 3 isn't worth buying on 360 since PC exists? Sure you can think only of your own tastes and reduce the list down to 20-25 games, but that wasn't the assignment.

I could also pick apart your notes on my list, but what's the point.

I play pretty much all genres and enjoy a very wide breath of games (love Wii Fit and Muramasa), so I wouldn't be too narrow minded there. Considering he gave the tag 'worth buying' taste does come into play.

I'm also pretty sure that if you have a gaming PC and like to play FPS on PC, then I'd expect most people wouldn't consider the 360 version worth buying. That's a pretty poor comparison though, because you're comparing a PC and a console, instead of what is actually competing with one another.

Worth buying doesn't mean worth buying by the same person, a mom would consider Zumba Fitness worth buying but not Monster Hunter 3.  Are both games worth buying, of course they are, just not by the same audience.

As for Battlefield 3 the PC version and console versions are competing, the fact that you would choose one over the other means they are competing directly.  I don't know how anyone could argue that with a straight face.

chris_wing said:
outlawauron said:
chris_wing said:

@ outlawauron
I never said they were the best versions , & I didn't add on any disclaimer that wasn't there from the original post that I quoted. Will you say Battlefield 3 isn't worth buying on 360 since PC exists? Sure you can think only of your own tastes and reduce the list down to 20-25 games, but that wasn't the assignment.

I could also pick apart your notes on my list, but what's the point.

I play pretty much all genres and enjoy a very wide breath of games (love Wii Fit and Muramasa), so I wouldn't be too narrow minded there. Considering he gave the tag 'worth buying' taste does come into play.

I'm also pretty sure that if you have a gaming PC and like to play FPS on PC, then I'd expect most people wouldn't consider the 360 version worth buying. That's a pretty poor comparison though, because you're comparing a PC and a console, instead of what is actually competing with one another.

Worth buying doesn't mean worth buying by the same person, a mom would consider Zumba Fitness worth buying but not Monster Hunter 3.  Are both games worth buying, of course they are, just not by the same audience.

As for Battlefield 3 the PC version and console versions are competing, the fact that you would choose one over the other means they are competing directly.  I don't know how anyone could argue that with a straight face.

But they're really not. Someone who plays FPS on PC will always choose the PC option. It comes down to a preference (PC master race/console peasant, etc.). I don't think MS thinks they're going to attract any PC players with their console entry.

Around the Network

My favorite 3rd Party Wii game was definitely Disney's Epic Mickey. I loved that game. ^_^

Other great 3rd Party Games I've played:

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition
  • Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
  • Guitar Hero: World Tour
  • Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
  • Little King's Story
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade
  • No More Heroes
  • No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
  • Rayman Origins
  • Rock Band 3
  • Silent Hill: Shattered Memories