By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Develops 45 New Games for Wii

Hus said:

kwaad has been hitting the bong a bit to hard lately.

*grin*

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Kwaad's an idiot, he thinks he's an important icon in the gaming industry.

people do realise that companies out sources smaller studios to make games for them right? Nintendo probably did the same and sent out some of its staff to help them out and to teach tem how to develope games the nintendo way. 

Like metroid prime 3 isn't exacly developed by nintendo it is done by Retro Studios (granted they are second party). Nintendo are just publishing it. Also nintendo recently bought Monolith. To me this was so unexcpeted i've never seen them buy a studio before this agressively. So who knows what other behind the scene buy outs nintnedo are doing.

If they have 45 wii titles I bet most of them started out life already on the gamecube  (I know retro were working on like 5 projects before metroid and couple of them were 90% finished). So at best i reackon these games will be getting maybe wii controls and greaphic improvments and the story finshed off.

It's hard to say if 45 games in development for the Wii is a big deal or not since we don't know how many games were "in development" for the GameCube.  Using the Wikipedia list of GameCube games I count 56 Nintendo published games along with 5 known cancelled Nintendo games.  So Nintendo released 11 games per year on the GameCube.  If say 1/3 of the 45 games will be cancelled then Nintendo has between 10 and 15 games per year (max of 22.5 assuming 2 years and all gams make it) in development or let's say 12.5.  That's not a major increase from the GameCube days.  Also the Wii is more amenable to lower cost more easily produced games like Big Brain Academy.  Kwaad and Hus may hate those games but tens of millions love them and Nintendo can make many of them for the same resources as a hardcore game.  The DS side may be different but I'm not going to even try counting all of Nintendo's GBA releases. 

Interestingly of the 56 games published by Nintendo last generation, 31 were developed by a 2nd or 3rd party dev.  I would think if anything that will accelerate this generation so Nintendo is probably only developing 15-20 of those 45 games in house.

Hus said:
Kwaad said:

These must be like PONG or something. Because Sony is only working on around 20 and has a dev department around 4x bigger than nintendo. (meaning Nintendo is only big enough to make 5 games every 2 years on a next gen console)

=

Are you high?

Sony has 130 games in development for the PS3

Do you have a source?

I very much doubt it. However, it's difficult whether proving you or Kwaad wrong is more fun. Either way, I win.

So do you have a source? 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
DKII said:
Leave it to Kwaad to go from saying the Wii has no games to now Nintendo is making too many games.

I knew I wouldnt be the only one to notice this. First Wii doesnt have enough games out. Now we see they are actively pursuing making their library larger, even to the extent of buying Mono Soft, and somehow this automatically means that Nintendo are making 'crap games' and this is spinned into a bad thing. Kwaad your transparency is unbelievably obvious. Especially about insinuating the games they are making are bad for the industry despite having NO idea whether or not at this point they are simply ideas for games, or game that will actually release. This super paper mario stage describes you perfectly:

Kwaad said:
fooflexible said:

Yeah but most of Sony's stuff leans toward massive experiences, where I wouldn't say most but alot of Nintendo's stuff goes into a far simplier direction, Wii sports type games. I wouldn't even be surprised if they are including a bunch of light downloadable games.

fooflexible - why is Nintendo working on 3x more games than EA... even tho EA is like 10-20x bigger than nintendo.

If there was ever a company designed to churn out games fast... it was EA.

Guys. This is making EA look like they spend TONS of time with their games. 

Is EA aactually bigger then Nintendo? Maybe. I thought they were 2nd to Nintendo

Of course this is typical of Nintendo. Making a banazza of games. But, I think that A)Alot of these are Alphas and they are being planned over the lifespan and B)Some are probobly VC and Wii Sports type games.

I would think that at the moment, Nintendo sells more games than EA. In USA EA sells more but in Japan EA isn't even on the Radar.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

A glance to the past...

It was early 2007 when Nintendo was eager to reassure us that the Wii was indeed getting games.  "We have 45 games in development for the Wii!" Nintendo says happily.  Wii owners cheered.  45 new games to play on our Wiis. 

It is now early 2009.  Did Nintendo keep its promise of 45 new titles for the Wii?  Are we now playing 45 great and amazing Nintendo developed titles?

What do you think?

Off by a factor of at least 5 if you consider all their wothwhile releases since early 2007.