By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It is not the Wii U that has mildly failed, it is Mario

Tagged games:

I think the point the op is making is that even though there is a good tie ratio of Mario to the Wii U, the Wii U itself could have sold better with a more compelling launch game.

Around the Network

Yep, someone milked Mario's, ehm, plumbings to death. Because actually that wasn't milk. Oh, well, at least he died happy!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I don't game on handhelds, so the last time I played a 2D Mario was in 2009. My body was more than ready. 3 years is plenty of time between releases in a series. And those critical of NSMB2 are a bit confused. It's already sold over 5 million and is the 3DS's fastest selling title.

NSMBU is selling extremely well and is motivating people to buy WiiU. WiiU had a very solid launch. The big drop this week (if true) seems high for a new system. But I wouldn't blame MarioU so much as WiiU needing a smaller price or a better second app. None of Mario, NL or ZombieU are graphically mindblowing. None of them have the adult hook that WiiSports had.

I disagree. Mario is still huge, and a big selling point for the WiiU. Next generation I'm planing to buy 2 consoles, and if the PS4 isn't impressive or too similar/ less powerful than the 720 then I will certainly buy the WiiU just for Mario games.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Immortal said:

kain_kusanagi said:

Well let's just see what happens then. If your right NSMB U and NSMB 2 will grow and end up selling as much as NSMB and NSMB W. If I'm right NSMB U and NSMB 2 will slow and be eclipsed by the next big 3D Mario game we are all waiting for.

I personaly am waiting for a 3D Mario or Zelda or Metroid before jumping on the Wii U train. NSMB U is far, FAR too much like the ones I've already played for me to spend $400 - $450 on a console with nothing else I'm interested in. I like 2D Mario games, but I have enough of them right now. I think consumers in general have enough 2D Mario to go around and don't need another one. But an HD 3D Mario could turn some heads, a lot of heads.

I'm not proposing a bet, I don't bet, but we will see who is right in the comming years. The Wii U doesn't have clueless soccer moms and grandparents to trick into buying it like the Wii did. It has to convince real gamers, both casual and hardcore than the Wii U has games they want to play. As a real gamer and a long time Nintendo fan I'm waiting for the good stuff and I think a lot of gamers feel the way I do.

Fair enough. We'll see what happens; I'm glad you didn't suggest a bet because I'm not sufficiently confident to take it, anyway, :P.

Your "clueless soccer moms and grandparents" comment seems to show that your argument stems from emotion and not analysis, though. Since you evidently don't find the Wii U appealing, you either don't want other people to find it appealing or think that everyone thinks like you (and those who don't are clueless morons).

They really don't, though. While Wii's audience wasn't the traditional 10-20-year-old male audience, you're being unnecessarily belittling by saying that its new audience was a bunch clueless people who were tricked into buying it. If people didn't willfully buy and then enjoy the Wii, its word-of-mouth wouldn't have been so strong and it never would have become so popular. The fact that you're trying to deny and make excuses for this shows that you're really unnecessarily emotionally invested in this and that you're making these predictions against NSMB not so much because you think they are likely to happen, but rather because you want them to.

Technically, he would be projecting his own subconcious relationship with videogames into others.

But, in a way, he has a good point; let's say you bought Wii for Wii Sports, what else you had? Wii Play may be the closest you get - a launch game, and after that - nothing.
With Wii Fit, you had Wii Fit Plus. Mario Kart Wii didn't have a sequel, NSMBW didn't have one either (though, there was DKCR and Kirby). On the DS, Brain Training had a sequel, but NSMB and Mario Kart didn't.

UnitSmiley said:

I honestly wish Nintendo would give it a break for awhile and make some new Ip's for once, or show some more of the other successful ones. Obviously I don't want to see a Zelda or Pokemon game every month but I would prefer if they focused on something other than Mario stuff.

I'd be happy if the titles they released for different IP's were more evenly distributed.
I wish something else would be done with Kid Icarus. I loved the game and he is an extremely awesome character imo.

I suppose it's odd for a Nintendo fan to not like Mario, and in a way I wish I WOULD like Mario so I could stop feeling so weird about it lol. But it's really only my love of Zelda and Pokemon that keep me a Nintendo fan, I could care less about Mario or any of it's spinoffs.

But that's just my own opinion and I know there are plenty out there who love Mario to death.

I don't know how much new IP's they'd need to release, as looking at last gen, we had Brain Training, Big Brain Academy, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Music, Rhythm Paradise, Endless Ocean, Disaster: Day of Crisis and a few others.

Returning IP's this and last gen have been, atleast, Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country, Kid Icarus, Pilotwings, Punch-out.

And sequels to almost all of their popular games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:

Maybe you should take a few psychology courses before trying to psychoanalyze me. I don't want the Wii U to fail, nor do I want 2D Mario to fail. But I will admit that what I believe is based on what I see. The people who bought Wii and made it a huge success did so because it was fad. They told their friends about it and everyone had fun with Wii Sports. Some may have even bought their little ones some real games like NSMB and others bought the Wii with NSMB and played Wii Sports without opening NSMB. What I saw was a lot of nontraditional gamers like soccer moms and grandparents who never bought a video game console for themselves before and who have no need to buy another. They either still have Wii Sports or they gave it away before the fad ended. Very few of those people, the ones that made the Wii such a success, will buy a Wii U. But you know who will buy a Wii U. People like me who have been playing Nintendo games since before there was a NES, back when you could play Donkey Kong and Mario Bros on an Atari. We are waiting for Nintendo to give us what we want. I believe that NSMB, as a series, has saturated the market. It will still sell fine, but it's not selling systems like a 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and Metroid Prime would.

...but yeah, keep an eye on it and watch what happens sound like the thing to do.

Yeah, sorry. I was very bored and very tired last night. :P The psychoanalysis was too blatant, wasn't it?

Still, I'm a bit confused why you'd use derogatory terms to refer to the Wii's success ("clueless", "tricked", "fad") if you don't actually dislike it. Also, I really don't see why you're knowingly using anecdotes and generalizations with little evidential basis to make your predictions. Surely, you understand that's a fallacy?

@bdbdbd, I'm not sure what your point is. I mean, you may have bought the Wii for Wii Sports and then gone on to buy Wii Play and  WSR, but also games like NSMB, MK and JD. Just because you bought a system for one game, you won't restrict yourself to games exactly like it. I mean, the Wii's attach rate, while already a little low, would be significantly lower if its buyers had such a mentality.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

The problem is Nintendo panicked with the poor 3DS launch, and realizing that Nintendogs + cats wasn't selling systems and Brain Training probably wouldn't either, they pushed Mario into over drive.

I don't even think NSMB2 was supposed to be out this year, given what we know about it's dev cycle too it appears to have been rushed into development by a B-team at EAD. This was probably supposed to be NSMBU's year.

But I think Nintendo was at a loss as to how to sell the 3DS, and with the 3DS XL they figured they needed NSMB for the 3DS as well this year.

Mario hasn't failed at all. In fact NSMBU is the only reason to buy a WiiU. Given that, he's singlehandedly given the WiiU a stronger launch than PS3/360 enjoyed.

Immortal said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Maybe you should take a few psychology courses before trying to psychoanalyze me. I don't want the Wii U to fail, nor do I want 2D Mario to fail. But I will admit that what I believe is based on what I see. The people who bought Wii and made it a huge success did so because it was fad. They told their friends about it and everyone had fun with Wii Sports. Some may have even bought their little ones some real games like NSMB and others bought the Wii with NSMB and played Wii Sports without opening NSMB. What I saw was a lot of nontraditional gamers like soccer moms and grandparents who never bought a video game console for themselves before and who have no need to buy another. They either still have Wii Sports or they gave it away before the fad ended. Very few of those people, the ones that made the Wii such a success, will buy a Wii U. But you know who will buy a Wii U. People like me who have been playing Nintendo games since before there was a NES, back when you could play Donkey Kong and Mario Bros on an Atari. We are waiting for Nintendo to give us what we want. I believe that NSMB, as a series, has saturated the market. It will still sell fine, but it's not selling systems like a 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and Metroid Prime would.

...but yeah, keep an eye on it and watch what happens sound like the thing to do.

Yeah, sorry. I was very bored and very tired last night. :P The psychoanalysis was too blatant, wasn't it?

Still, I'm a bit confused why you'd use derogatory terms to refer to the Wii's success ("clueless", "tricked", "fad") if you don't actually dislike it. Also, I really don't see why you're knowingly using anecdotes and generalizations with little evidential basis to make your predictions. Surely, you understand that's a fallacy?

@bdbdbd, I'm not sure what your point is. I mean, you may have bought the Wii for Wii Sports and then gone on to buy Wii Play and  WSR, but also games like NSMB, MK and JD. Just because you bought a system for one game, you won't restrict yourself to games exactly like it. I mean, the Wii's attach rate, while already a little low, would be significantly lower if its buyers had such a mentality.

I called, and believe, that the soccer moms and grandparents were and are still clueless. They were tricked by the fad of the Wii. That's not derogatory. The reality of the Wii's success is that the motion controls were a new gimmick that none gamers found to be a fun toy for parties. For some it was a way to get the family to play together. For others it was a way to get a little exercise. To them the Wii wasn't a video game console. It was an interactive motion control activity device. They were clueless about video games and when the fad passed they left it for the next fad.

I can predict based on anything I want. You can call it a fallacy if you want, but I judge the future on what I see, what I've seen, and how it makes me feel. I don't need data to know that grandparents are not gamers even if they have a dusty Wii in their house. I don't need statistics to tell me that Wii Fit got stacked on the other abandoned exercise equipment in the garage.

I love Mario Galaxy, Metroid 3, Zelda SS and Mario Kart Wii. But not because they were Wii games with motion control. I love those games despite motion controls. I look forward to Mario U, Metroid U and Zelda U because I'm hopeful that the Gamepad's standard controls will be used and the touch screen will be for items and menus. I'm hopeful that the Wii motion fad is over and we core gamers can get back to playing the games we want the way we want to. I've been playing Nintendo games longer than there have been Nintendo consoles and I will continue to play Nintendo games for as long as I can hold a controller in my hand. But that doesn't change the fact that Wii was a fluke, a market anomaly, a fad and it won't happen again.

Then why not try one of the many very nice third-party Wii U games? I hear Darksiders II is vastly underrated. Not even those PS3/360 owners bought enough copies, I hear.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero