By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It is not the Wii U that has mildly failed, it is Mario

Tagged games:

Well price is a obvious problem - phasing out 350-400€ just to play one game (and Nintendo Land in the worse coloured version) is definately a wall for many sales.

The problem with Mario is that there would be too much of them, but the weak content.
If you look at NSMB2, the whole game is about collecting coins; why do you collect coins in Mario games in the first place? To have an extra life. Now that there's an inflation in Mushroom Kingdom currency, it loses it's value; what's the point in collecting them. Suddenly a Mario game is a Wario game. And as sales are telling you, NSMB2 is doing bad.

Looking at NSMBU, Nintendo is showing Wii U's the least impressive feature up your ass with NSMBU; Miiverse. It's not enough to have your menu full of Miis, but you have to have the Miis in your game just as well. Where's the beef? Why would I buy these Mario games, that are marketed with non-Mario content.

kitler53 said:

Euphoria14 said:
No way, I don't believe it.

Maelstrom told me that 2D Mario is what the market wants.

as did Rol.

As did sales.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I completely agree, 5 years a new 2D Mario game would have sent me up the wall, now I just don't care. They need to start experimenting with their IPs if they want to continue being relevant outside the hardcore Nintendo fan base.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
It is not Mario that has mildly failed, it is Nintendo.

They said that they learned a hard lesson (in regards to first party software support) with the sluggish 3DS launch. Can't say I believe them.

Yeah, clearly the whole two games they've released so far, the upcoming releases of Game & Wario, Pikmin 3 and Wii Fit U, plus the vague details they've mentioned about Smash Bros (probably releasing in 2014/15) is them going all guns blazing.

Unless the lesson they learned was to wait even longer before telling us what they're doing.

VGChartz

happydolphin said:

You didn't address any of his points though!

• Bad download times
  • Missing accessories (TVii)
  • Missing Apps
  • Slow OS
  • Lukewarm marketing
  • Nintendo taking 3DS sales and being blinded to the state of everything else.

Ding Ding! (@The bolded.)

The reason why Wii U isn't selling to people's expectations is because of a somewhat weak marketing campaign. (Those "Wii Would like to Play" commercials were genious, Nintendo needs another one of those.) And a small amount of console selling games. (NSMBU being the biggest.)

We must take a wait and see approach.

Super Mario Bros U is the best selling non-bundled Wii U game.....you are wrong. People are not tired of him.

Around the Network

i dont know what the hell nintendo were thinking releasing two 2D mario games not only in the same year, but just months away. i mean in a sense mario on the 3ds is competing with mario on WiiU, they are both after the same market. it really makes no sense.

kain_kusanagi said:

NSMB was the only original DS Mario game so of course it wold like hot cakes. NSMB Wii was bundled just like Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports. Wii sold like hot cakes and brought it alone regardless of if consumers cared or not.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Cumulative&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+%28DS%29+[1582]&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+Wii+%28Wii%29+[35076]&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+2+%283DS%29+[70735]&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+U+%28WiiU%29+[70766]

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Cumulative&game[]=Super+Mario+Galaxy+%28Wii%29+[6963]&game[]=Super+Mario+Galaxy+2+%28Wii%29+[35084]&game[]=Super+Mario+3D+Land+%283DS%29+[50395]&game[]=

When I look at these charts I see that games heavily bundled on Wii sold just as well as Wii. The DS original NSMB did great, but it was the first and the only new  Mario game on DS. NSMB 2 isn't sell as well and neither is NSMB U. But Mario 3D Land sold well without tons of bundles.

You need to pay more attention. NSMBW was an enormous success from the beginning when it launched in 2009 (and it wasn't bundled *at all* until late 2010). In this time, it became the fastest game ever to 10m at that point, a frightening force during the holidays that beat even CoD and brought the Wii from a pathetic summer to a record-breaking holiday with help from the price cut.

I'll concede that NSMB2 is really not up to par, but it's the exception that proves the rule here; it's been seen as having disappointing sales, but that's because it doesn't compare to its mighty predecessors.

I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous to deny the selling power of 2D Mario and borderline delusional to argue that 3D Mario sells better. Anyone on here who has been paying the tiniest bit of attention to sales in the past few years can tell you that.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
kain_kusanagi said:

NSMB was the only original DS Mario game so of course it wold like hot cakes. NSMB Wii was bundled just like Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports. Wii sold like hot cakes and brought it alone regardless of if consumers cared or not.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Cumulative&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+%28DS%29+[1582]&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+Wii+%28Wii%29+[35076]&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+2+%283DS%29+[70735]&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+U+%28WiiU%29+[70766]

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Cumulative&game[]=Super+Mario+Galaxy+%28Wii%29+[6963]&game[]=Super+Mario+Galaxy+2+%28Wii%29+[35084]&game[]=Super+Mario+3D+Land+%283DS%29+[50395]&game[]=

When I look at these charts I see that games heavily bundled on Wii sold just as well as Wii. The DS original NSMB did great, but it was the first and the only new  Mario game on DS. NSMB 2 isn't sell as well and neither is NSMB U. But Mario 3D Land sold well without tons of bundles.

You need to pay more attention. NSMBW was an enormous success from the beginning when it launched in 2009 (and it wasn't bundled *at all* until late 2010). In this time, it became the fastest game ever to 10m at that point, a frightening force during the holidays that beat even CoD and brought the Wii from a pathetic summer to a record-breaking holiday with help from the price cut.

I'll concede that NSMB2 is really not up to par, but it's the exception that proves the rule here; it's been seen as having disappointing sales, but that's because it doesn't compare to its mighty predecessors.

I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous to deny the selling power of 2D Mario and borderline delusional to argue that 3D Mario sells better. Anyone on here who has been paying the tiniest bit of attention to sales in the past few years can tell you that.

The fluke isn't NSMB2, it's NSMBW.

kain_kusanagi said:

The fluke isn't NSMB2, it's NSMBW.

You have a lousy argument, I'm afraid. We have two successful NSMBs and one unsuccessful (so far). Making excuses for the successful ones in this case makes no sense.

Calling something like 20m sales without bundles a "fluke" is really quite funny, to be honest. :P

I'll say it again: the sales power of 2D Mario and the fact that it crushes 3D Mario is really not debatable. Very few people who have been following sales on here would be willing to humour this argument.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

To be fair to NSMB, my observation has been mario games simply do not burst onto the scene with headline grabbing numbers. Its enduring replay value, and time tested formulas make the series evergreen sellers. But to move systems, you only need to see the Dragon Quests, Monster Hunters, FF (not lately), Halo, COD. When those types of games come out, the fans burst onto the scenes and then in a month's time vanguish (all busy playing). So we can boast Mario's sales records all we want, and Mario is the ultimate Decathalon winner (2D, 3D, Kart, Paper, buddy up with Sonic, Tennis, list goes on and on), but Mario ain't no sprinter.

This time around Wii U doesnt have the high anticipation factor of a Zelda. Zombi U is a "refreshing" but unpopular survivor game genre with a almost cliche Zombi theme. The two big ports did not get the financial investments to make them better to show off Wii U's graphics, instead served to remind how closely "ahead" Wii U is, which means no one jumped out of their seats to take a gander at what Wii U could do. Again, Nintendo took the budget route.

We now sit here and if the 3DS ballroom got all the buffet laid out, girls warmed up and the disco ball glistening, over in the Wii U room, it's so quiet you can hear crickets.