By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It is not the Wii U that has mildly failed, it is Mario

Tagged games:

A game with a attach rate of over 50% has failed? That game alone one of the main reasons to buy a Wii U, and my personal reason to have one now rather than in a couple of months.

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back

Around the Network

NSMBU didn't fail anything or anyone. You're overreacting to these numbers. It's still quite the strong series. (Not as strong as NSMBW I would say, though.)

Nonsense. Everyone loves Mario. Can you imagine how the Wii U would have sold without it. Also no one cares about NintendoLand

Wii U is failing because it costs $400 to get to Mario with the deluxe set (the only set people want).

Nintendo needs to give up on Nintendo Land, pull it out of the bundle, and put Mario in there. Nintendo also needs to get rid of the basic set completely and make every Wii U a deluxe bundle set (with Mario, as I said), black and white for all. Then the Wii U may cost $350 for all versions, but with Mario in there it doesn't seem nearly so bad.

Mario is the only reason most people have even bothered with Wii U. You can bet that Mario will be selling all throughout the Wii U's life.

Agree with Spurge...NSMBU is a total snoozefest....so is MarioKart....please Nintendo something new and innovative (but not a repeat of Wii Music please)

Around the Network

Nintendo has confirmed that their will only be 1 new super mario games per console. Also, Every non-spinnoff 3d mario game has been incredible. (except for super mario 3d land but that game was still really good and may be incredible but not as good as super mario galaxy or super mario 64)
Also mario party, mario sports games, and paper mario are NOT made by nintendo, only published (some of the sports games are made by nintendo but only some)
Plus Miyamoto doesn't make every mario game, NSMBU was really fun, Pikmin 3 will be really good, and the zelda game comming to the Wii U will be incredible.
I hope this post has washed away your worries about mario dying.

How can there be so much ignorance in one thread (sorry to be rude)? Mario 2D games consistenly sell buttloads more than 3D entries. 3D mario is not a true mass market game, it never has been, it never will be. The entry level is too high. 2D Mario is truly for everyone, and this is why it is the biggest series in gaming ever.

To say that 3D mario is a system seller is frankly not true. Galaxy, by mainy hailed as "best game ever", is only the 9th best selling Wii game. NSMBW is 5th, and sold more than twice as much. And the Wii sold insane amounts for christmas the year NSMB Wii came out.

The Wii U launch was just bad. The white console option should never have been released. The price is too high, and the system is simply not must-have. 2D Mario is a killer app, yes, but it is not that long ago since NSMB Wii, and in commercials, NSMB U appears almost identical (I know it's not). Besides, people are not going to spend 350-400 dollars (or the same in euros) just to play one game in today's market, when they already have 2 consoles with lots of great content still coming out

Yes, the NSMB games are not given the same love as 3D mario by nintendo's development teams, but still they sell lots more, how about that? Imagine if Nintendo used the same kind of budget on 2D Mario as they do on 3D Mario and 3D Zelda. Personally I found Galaxy repetitive and not in any way infinitely replayable like 2D Mario games. 5 minutes with 4 player NSMBWii/U is more fan than you will have in 10 hours of 3D Mario.

Mario hasn't "failed", just the Wii U (so far). We'll have to wait and see when Smash Bros. and Mario Kart come out to see if this system will be more successful than gamecube. (Personally I expect N64 levels).

plu_To said:
Agree with Spurge...NSMBU is a total snoozefest....so is MarioKart....please Nintendo something new and innovative (but not a repeat of Wii Music please)

I don't think Nintendo would get rid of/substitute one of their top earning franchises any time soon.

Nay, Mario is stronger than ever.

He's already at 1.5m on a system with just 2.5m. If anything, the sales are because of Mario. Let's do a fun comparison however, just to see if it's actually true what I just said. Since you can go back to the launch of the original GameBoy in Japan on this site, these are the Mario launch title sales, first week Japan. Complete with attach rates (for the JP numbers), calculated by my own mathmetic wisdom, from the numbers I find here. So, believe with caution. Additionally, the last two are global sales for combined first weeks, as that's available from the launch of the DS onward. Everything's dug up out of the weekly sales charts:

- Super Mario Land: 86,283 (AR: 91.1%)
- Super Mario World: 180,187 (AR: 99.4%)
- Super Mario 64: 292,310 (AR: 97.3%)
- Super Mario Advance: 228,356 (AR: ?% (no HW numbers))
- Super Mario 64 DS: 138,438 (WW: 501,138) (AR: 30.2%)
- New Super Mario Bros. U: 166,572 (WW: 559,436) (AR: 54.3%)

So, sadly the only one missing is the original Super Mario Bros. on NES. It looks to me as Mario as a WiiU launch game has performed about average, almost as much as Super Mario World on the SNES. The latter however was bundled, while NSMBU is not. It achieved it's sales 100% on it's own merits. It's fourth place out of seven titles; exactly in the middle. Unfortunately, Super Mario 64 on N64, also not bundled at the start, seems to have been a beast (and rightfully so ) so it didn't get anywhere near that, but we sadly don't have worldwide first week numbers. I'd have loved to have seen and compared that.

Also, I don't know if the numbers for the older generations are reliable. When you read them, you'll know why. Software numbers are believable, but the attach ratio is ridiculously high. For the N64 it's still possible though as it launched with only two games. Personally I thought there was also a console-only SNES package, I guess it could be that this was not until later in the game. If so, SNES attach ratio is also true.

~Bonus:~
- Luigi's Mansion: 160,312 (AR: ?% (no HW numbers))
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 146,367 (WW: 716,111) (AR: 40.1%)

So yeah, Mario was the decent choice as it beats the other launch titles Nintendo tried in Japan at least. For worldwide though, Zelda would've been better apparently!

EDIT: Attach rates for the Japanese numbers added to paint an even clearer picture. Conclusion doesn't change however.

spurgeonryan said:
Tarumon said:
Wii U needs a shot of adrenaline, but you my friend might want to ease off on caffeine :p

I am hopeful that January isnt one and done with Pokemon Direct but also come with a Nintendo Direct will will help ease the anxiety of its fans (I doubt ND is viewed by anyone outside of gaming circles).

They've stumbled out of the gate with download time, missing accessories (TVii), missing Apps, slow OS, luke warm marketing and finally appear to be paying the price with less than expected sales and nearly a dearth of momentum to wrap up the last 3 months of the fiscal year. Mario may habe seen too much light, but it's the whole process feeling less than refined that begets the negative word of mouth.

If anything, I hope they are working on updating the firmware of any unsold units and not take the early customers for granted. They must also stop celebrating what a banner year 3DS would have in Japan and really react to the gloomy state the industry is really in. Take away 3DS, whole industry looks like nuts in a freezing pool.

January is always slow with games, but Nintendo knows this. They also know that or should have know that the Wii U was going to be a hard sale. Price is high, other consoles have more games, ports, etc. They should have had some big games for january on through to March. Yes, Pikmin is coming, but the hype needed to be sustained.

You didn't address any of his points though!

• Bad download times
  • Missing accessories (TVii)
  • Missing Apps
  • Slow OS
  • Lukewarm marketing
  • Nintendo taking 3DS sales and being blinded to the state of everything else.