By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It is not the Wii U that has mildly failed, it is Mario

Tagged games:

No, is Nintendo who failed

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
I don't think too much Mario is the problem. The problem is that people want a follow up the main Mario games. They want a successor the the Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy type of gameplay. 2D Mario is what people play who can't get enough platforming. 3D Mario is what EVERYONE plays.

Yeah but 2D MArio sells much much better then 3D

I can only speak for myself, but a lack of variety is why I left Nintendo in the first place. You want platformers, Nintendo is unquestionably the place to go. Most other genres? Probably not. Good storytelling and complex characters? Not really a focus for Nintendo.

As far as Mario goes, I'm of the opinion the high sales for anything with Mario is kind of a conditioned response. People have shaped their opinions around the name on the box more than anything else. That's what happens when you have a pack-in game for an iconic system. Many people buy a Mario game with their minds already made up that they will love it, thus it has kind of defined videogames for them.

Will Mario ever be milked to death? That's hard to say, since Mario is Nintendo in a lot of ways. Nintendo knows now, I think, that it is not in their best interest to let the quality drop, which happens with a lot of third party franchises. That wouldn't just hurt the Mario franchise, it would hurt the Nintendo brand badly.

Personally, I just don't get Mario, and probably never will. I see nothing at all compelling or interesting about the character or universe, nothing that would prompt me to follow it from game to game. I would rather have unique characters and worlds for games in different genres.

@Spurge, yeah, I know you're not dooming the WiiU. I'm just kinda talking on the whole topic of the WiiU situation and the Mario part of it. I think MarioBros had done fine as a title but it could be argued that it's failed as a system-mover.

I remember thinking a while back the a NSMBU game would be a great launch title for the Wii2 because it is very popular but also cheap and quick to make. I think this is Nintendo's strategy, giving them more time to build big titles for the important second and third Christmas seasons. The Mario Galaxy series, Zelda... these games take a long time to develop and with the hardware still being finalized and so much work to do NSMBU makes sense. Or at least I would think it would. In hindsight I think the combo of MarioBrosU and NintendoLand is much weaker than the Wii launch combo of Zelda and WiiSports. NSMBU and NL are both too middle ground. Neither is really deep or graphically impressive and neither is totally cool, easy and good to play with a group of adults like WiiSports was. The Zelda + Sports Combo was perfect for both extremes. MarioBros is great and it's selling a lot and NintendoLa

AndrewWK said:
I don´t wanna raise any controversial discussions, but compared to Rayman Legends New Super Mario Bros U really sucks. I have played the demo yesterday with my little sister and got brainfucked by the Black Betty Level.

New Super Mario Bros. U was fun and all but they really should try to work on the main formula. I am courious to see what they are going to do with the new Donkey Kong game

How's Rayman Legends? I downloaded the demo but am in trouble everytime I pick up Wii U, my kids say "I thought you were too tired to play games?" (They want me to play Mario but I get pissed everytime they kill me lol)

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
No way, I don't believe it.

Maelstrom told me that 2D Mario is what the market wants.

as did Rol. 

I agree to some extent with what you wrote. I think that it would have been better to launch NSMB.U a year or two later. I also think that Nintendo should make more use of the other characters in the Mario Universe. Luigi is just getting his second or third game (if you want to count that ""game"). Nintendo could have easily released Game & Wario this year, that game should of had more resources poured into it, to make release last year.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Lol doesnt NSMBU prove the market does want 2D Mario or are you guys trying to tell me Mario should have sold a console on its own? If so, then you guys are more desperate than I thought.

Euphoria14 said:
No way, I don't believe it.

Maelstrom told me that 2D Mario is what the market wants.

Malstrom predicted Wii U would sell out through Christmas and then drop off. It's performing worse than he thought.

AndrewWK said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I don't think too much Mario is the problem. The problem is that people want a follow up the main Mario games. They want a successor the the Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy type of gameplay. 2D Mario is what people play who can't get enough platforming. 3D Mario is what EVERYONE plays.

Yeah but 2D MArio sells much much better then 3D

NSMB was the only original DS Mario game so of course it wold like hot cakes. NSMB Wii was bundled just like Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports. Wii sold like hot cakes and brought it alone regardless of if consumers cared or not.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Cumulative&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+%28DS%29+[1582]&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+Wii+%28Wii%29+[35076]&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+2+%283DS%29+[70735]&game[]=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+U+%28WiiU%29+[70766]

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Cumulative&game[]=Super+Mario+Galaxy+%28Wii%29+[6963]&game[]=Super+Mario+Galaxy+2+%28Wii%29+[35084]&game[]=Super+Mario+3D+Land+%283DS%29+[50395]&game[]=

When I look at these charts I see that games heavily bundled on Wii sold just as well as Wii. The DS original NSMB did great, but it was the first and the only new  Mario game on DS. NSMB 2 isn't sell as well and neither is NSMB U. But Mario 3D Land sold well without tons of bundles.