By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It is not the Wii U that has mildly failed, it is Mario

Tagged games:

Immortal said:
kain_kusanagi said:

The fluke isn't NSMB2, it's NSMBW.

You have a lousy argument, I'm afraid. We have two successful NSMBs and one unsuccessful (so far). Making excuses for the successful ones in this case makes no sense.

Calling something like 20m sales without bundles a "fluke" is really quite funny, to be honest. :P

I'll say it again: the sales power of 2D Mario and the fact that it crushes 3D Mario is really not debatable. Very few people who have been following sales on here would be willing to humour this argument.

Well let's just see what happens then. If your right NSMB U and NSMB 2 will grow and end up selling as much as NSMB and NSMB W. If I'm right NSMB U and NSMB 2 will slow and be eclipsed by the next big 3D Mario game we are all waiting for.

I personaly am waiting for a 3D Mario or Zelda or Metroid before jumping on the Wii U train. NSMB U is far, FAR too much like the ones I've already played for me to spend $400 - $450 on a console with nothing else I'm interested in. I like 2D Mario games, but I have enough of them right now. I think consumers in general have enough 2D Mario to go around and don't need another one. But an HD 3D Mario could turn some heads, a lot of heads.

I'm not proposing a bet, I don't bet, but we will see who is right in the comming years. The Wii U doesn't have clueless soccer moms and grandparents to trick into buying it like the Wii did. It has to convince real gamers, both casual and hardcore than the Wii U has games they want to play. As a real gamer and a long time Nintendo fan I'm waiting for the good stuff and I think a lot of gamers feel the way I do.

Around the Network
Immortal said:
kain_kusanagi said:

The fluke isn't NSMB2, it's NSMBW.

You have a lousy argument, I'm afraid. We have two successful NSMBs and one unsuccessful (so far). Making excuses for the successful ones in this case makes no sense.

Calling something like 20m sales without bundles a "fluke" is really quite funny, to be honest. :P

I'll say it again: the sales power of 2D Mario and the fact that it crushes 3D Mario is really not debatable. Very few people who have been following sales on here would be willing to humour this argument.

I agree. Surprised to see people saying 3d mario games are better sellers which frankly is not true, any look at sales history on this site will tell you 2d mario outsells 3d mario every single time.

milkyjoe said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
It is not Mario that has mildly failed, it is Nintendo.

They said that they learned a hard lesson (in regards to first party software support) with the sluggish 3DS launch. Can't say I believe them.

Yeah, clearly the whole two games they've released so far, the upcoming releases of Game & Wario, Pikmin 3 and Wii Fit U, plus the vague details they've mentioned about Smash Bros (probably releasing in 2014/15) is them going all guns blazing.

Unless the lesson they learned was to wait even longer before telling us what they're doing.

In fairness it could be considered all guns blazing when compaired to the 3DS launch.

I think NSMBU will do fine, but releasing two NSMB games so close to each other was probably a mistake.  

No I agree, they have flooded the market. I used to get excited when a Mario game released, now it's more of a "bleh" feeling. He needs a long break, at the very least a year, but preferably more. Think about how much Mario crap has been released recently.

SM3DL-A lame excuse for 3D Mario

NSMB2- A lame excuse for 2D Mario

Paper Mario Sticker Star- A lame excuse for a Paper Mario game

Mario Tennis- Nothing to say

Mario Party 8- Nothing to Say

Mario Kart 7- A lame excuse for Mario Kart

NSMBU- The sad thing is that this one is actually really good, I was just way sick of Mario.

3D Mario is better than 2D Mario, however 2D Mario is a lot more popular. Just look at the attach rate of NSMBU.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:

Well let's just see what happens then. If your right NSMB U and NSMB 2 will grow and end up selling as much as NSMB and NSMB W. If I'm right NSMB U and NSMB 2 will slow and be eclipsed by the next big 3D Mario game we are all waiting for.

I personaly am waiting for a 3D Mario or Zelda or Metroid before jumping on the Wii U train. NSMB U is far, FAR too much like the ones I've already played for me to spend $400 - $450 on a console with nothing else I'm interested in. I like 2D Mario games, but I have enough of them right now. I think consumers in general have enough 2D Mario to go around and don't need another one. But an HD 3D Mario could turn some heads, a lot of heads.

I'm not proposing a bet, I don't bet, but we will see who is right in the comming years. The Wii U doesn't have clueless soccer moms and grandparents to trick into buying it like the Wii did. It has to convince real gamers, both casual and hardcore than the Wii U has games they want to play. As a real gamer and a long time Nintendo fan I'm waiting for the good stuff and I think a lot of gamers feel the way I do.

Fair enough. We'll see what happens; I'm glad you didn't suggest a bet because I'm not sufficiently confident to take it, anyway, :P.

Your "clueless soccer moms and grandparents" comment seems to show that your argument stems from emotion and not analysis, though. Since you evidently don't find the Wii U appealing, you either don't want other people to find it appealing or think that everyone thinks like you (and those who don't are clueless morons).

They really don't, though. While Wii's audience wasn't the traditional 10-20-year-old male audience, you're being unnecessarily belittling by saying that its new audience was a bunch clueless people who were tricked into buying it. If people didn't willfully buy and then enjoy the Wii, its word-of-mouth wouldn't have been so strong and it never would have become so popular. The fact that you're trying to deny and make excuses for this shows that you're really unnecessarily emotionally invested in this and that you're making these predictions against NSMB not so much because you think they are likely to happen, but rather because you want them to.

...looks like I'm venturing far too off-topic here. I guess we'll just keep an eye on how things pan out for NSMB2/U, huh? ;)

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

I think ZombiU was a great start for unique and quality gameplay, however I admit is still has a limited audience as its hard and lonely.

Mario is a good 2nd, but there really needs to be a game that hits home.

Something that is a mass market game like Wii Sports was (nintendoland could be this but it fails to impress on videos alone) and/or a strong "next-gen" title that pushes the core to desire it. Unfortunately in its launch, this is next to impossible to achieve being the first out the gate.

I definitely agree there has been too many Mario games released with 3D Land, NSMB2 and NSMBW in a short time period. Doesn't mean mario has "failed", but even mario fans have limited money :)

I am a huge 2D mario fan, hugehugehuge. I grew up on SMB1, 2 and 3 and there is no game I rather play with family and friends than 2D Mario, but I still haven't bought NSMBU, even tho I got the Wii U, I only have Nintendo land so far. I will 100%, without a doubt get NSMBU though, and when/if Wii U sales pick up, NSMBU will be the first non-bundled purchase for a lot of people (as it already is). If the Wii U gets a little steam, I think we will see NSMBU reach 10 million easy.

Immortal said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Fair enough. We'll see what happens; I'm glad you didn't suggest a bet because I'm not sufficiently confident to take it, anyway, :P.

Your "clueless soccer moms and grandparents" comment seems to show that your argument stems from emotion and not analysis, though. Since you evidently don't find the Wii U appealing, you either don't want other people to find it appealing or think that everyone thinks like you (and those who don't are clueless morons).

They really don't, though. While Wii's audience wasn't the traditional 10-20-year-old male audience, you're being unnecessarily belittling by saying that its new audience was a bunch clueless people who were tricked into buying it. If people didn't willfully buy and then enjoy the Wii, its word-of-mouth wouldn't have been so strong and it never would have become so popular. The fact that you're trying to deny and make excuses for this shows that you're really unnecessarily emotionally invested in this and that you're making these predictions against NSMB not so much because you think they are likely to happen, but rather because you want them to.

...looks like I'm venturing far too off-topic here. I guess we'll just keep an eye on how things pan out for NSMB2/U, huh? ;)

Maybe you should take a few psychology courses before trying to psychoanalyze me. I don't want the Wii U to fail, nor do I want 2D Mario to fail. But I will admit that what I believe is based on what I see. The people who bought Wii and made it a huge success did so because it was fad. They told their friends about it and everyone had fun with Wii Sports. Some may have even bought their little ones some real games like NSMB and others bought the Wii with NSMB and played Wii Sports without opening NSMB. What I saw was a lot of nontraditional gamers like soccer moms and grandparents who never bought a video game console for themselves before and who have no need to buy another. They either still have Wii Sports or they gave it away before the fad ended. Very few of those people, the ones that made the Wii such a success, will buy a Wii U. But you know who will buy a Wii U. People like me who have been playing Nintendo games since before there was a NES, back when you could play Donkey Kong and Mario Bros on an Atari. We are waiting for Nintendo to give us what we want. I believe that NSMB, as a series, has saturated the market. It will still sell fine, but it's not selling systems like a 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and Metroid Prime would.

...but yeah, keep an eye on it and watch what happens sound like the thing to do.

There is some logic to that. The market was saturated with 2D mario. 2 games came out in a few months. The Wii U one and the 3DS one.