By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Your Top 50 Movies: 2013 Discussion Thread- Final Day!

spurgeonryan said:
Finished my list. Was a little rushed, but after sitting for about five minutes thinking about it, It is pretty much correct. I mostly picked movies that I have been willing to watch over and over again over time. Less on how artsy they are. I could have gone that route, but that would not be my top movie list.

Best way to do it. Apart from 47,48,50 (started late) I've re-watched everything on my top 50 list, most twice in the top 16, some even 3 times. It has kept me busy, especially 22 hours of lotr.
The ones I didn't watch are the only ones I feel like replacing.

Around the Network

1: A Chinese Ghost Story (1987) Siu Tung Ching

genre: action,romance,comedy,horror

Finally my number one movie is also my favorite movie of all time.. Surprise! Starring Leslie Cheung one of china's biggest actors and singers of all time also starring Joey Wong an Asian beauty and respected actress. Leslie is singing the OST.. a climatic soundtrack that gives this movie a supernatural atmosphere and veils it with a cloak of subtle mystery...and we won't forget Joey Wong she also has her own song. I have never seen a dark movie that is at the same time as beautiful as this..unforgettable shots accompanied by beatiful music. Scene after scene there's laughter or sadness. Leslie and Joey are simply made for each other..their acting is incredibly natural i never felt at any point that I was acutally watching a movie. Nothing feels forced this movie just flows thru your veins. considering its an chinese movie made 27 years ago it aged pretty well..I have much more to say about this movie but I hope you guys take your time and watch it while you're alone.

ENJOY THIS BEAUTIFUL OST

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

SvennoJ said:
kljesta64 said:
SvennoJ said:
I need to watch The dark knight again. It didn't make a big impression on me when I first watched it, but I can't remember anything wrong with it either. Maybe I was half asleep at the time. Blu-ray released December 2009, ah our first born was barely 6 months old at the time, that explains it.

Is your nr 1 movie from China?

Yes. A Chinese Ghost Story

According to press release, the film was digitally remastered from the original negatives and six months were spent on the remastering

Here is something that might interest you..will post it tonight. I dont have the blue ray trilogy so I cant tell if its any good but it will fit in your collection i think :D

Sounds good. A shame my local shops don't have it listed and amazon.ca only has the import for $45, bit too much for me. There is a European version in German and Manderin, no substitles and region locked, pointless.
I'll put it on my watch list. Maybe your review will persuade me to try play-asia.com :)

if you buy it i hope its the whole trilogy..its disappearing so buy while you can lol:*D

i couldnt be happier as this is my favorite trilogy adn i have them all.. and if you ever going to watch it pick the cantonese version for the first movie. there are some decent youtube versions so look it up and let me know what you think..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

kljesta64 said:

if you buy it i hope its the whole trilogy..its disappearing so buy while you can lol:*D

i couldnt be happier as this is my favorite trilogy adn i have them all.. and if you ever going to watch it pick the cantonese version for the first movie. there are some decent youtube versions so look it up and let me know what you think..

Is this the right version?
http://www.play-asia.com/A_Chinese_Ghost_Story/paOS-13-71-7j-70-43iu-4-6.html

The comments are confusing, it's the same thread for what appears to be a 2011 remake
http://www.play-asia.com/A_Chinese_Ghost_Story/paOS-13-71-7j-49-en-70-4b7q.html

I'll try the first movie first, it sounds very interesting. They have the series box set too but with their weird way of calculating shipping it's cheaper to buy them separately anyway.

SvennoJ said:
kljesta64 said:

yes thats the right version language cantonese, mandarin ,thai..i see the commenst cant believe it myself but thats the right version lenght ,actors ,cover everything seems OK.

saw the 2011 remake a few days ago not bad but totally different story..

Tsubasa Ozora

Around the Network

Posted my #1 pick The Shawshank Redemption.

kljesta64 said:
SvennoJ said:

yes thats the right version language cantonese, mandarin ,thai..i see the commenst cant believe it myself but thats the right version lenght ,actors ,cover everything seems OK.

Ok, bought it. Those comments are exactly the same for the other version, a bug in their database I guess.

1. Princess Mononoke, 1997, Hayao Miyazaki

This movie has it all for me. Love, hate, revenge, fate, acceptance, spirituality, independence, compassion, greed, equality, (im)mortality and last but not least progress vs nature. Above all it's a great adventure in an amazing world. The characters all feel realistic with their own motives, no one is simply good or bad.

It is a pretty long movie too, at 134 minutes it's the second longest animated movie according to imdb, and the longest of Miyazaki's movies. However it never drags or feels like things could have been skipped, the pacing is perfect. There is simply a lot of great story to tell.

The english dub is pretty good too, the voices are well done. The only problem I have with it is that it slightly alters the script. I prefer the more literal english sub. The english dub adds things to the script here and there which isn't really neccesary. For example when Ashitaka has to leave the village it's clear enough that it will be permanent, the english dub didn't really have to add 'You are dead to us from now on', 'To see with eyes unclouded' sounds more poetic then adding 'by hate' at the end.
Some things get translated that I would rather have had left for a commentary track or a documentary short on the back story. Adding the extra stuff in the script diminishes the movie experience a bit imo.
Other changes don't make much sense at all, for example when Okkoto the boar god is near death the english dub says, "Don't touch him, he is no longer a god" while the sub says "Don't go near him, the curse will fall on you". Why change that?

Luckily the music wasn't changed, and it's my favorite musical score as well. I'm eagerly awaiting the blu-ray version as the 384kbps 5.1 DD dvd track does not do it justice. I don't expect as much visual upgrade from a blu-ray release as for spirited away but you never know.
I'll gladly pay the extra for a Japanese import for this one as Disney has been very slow in releasing the blu-ray versions. (Howl's moving castle finally has a date, may 21, 2.5 years after its release in Japan)

I'll close with a little timelapse video I put together recently, with music from the movie and some scenes blended in. Best viewed in 1080p of course :)

SvennoJ said:
kljesta64 said:
SvennoJ said:

Ok, bought it. Those comments are exactly the same for the other version, a bug in their database I guess.

great! I hope you wont be dissapointed and enjoy it as I did.

Tsubasa Ozora

I've no idea what hobbit movie you mean. I only know the cartoon version besides the new trilogy.

I watched the dark knight again couple nights ago. Yep, it is a great movie. Always a good sign when you keep thinking "Oh was that in this movie too" The Imax scenes still look awesome and the joker is a refreshingly good antagonist. Only the ending is a bit weak, other then that, I love all the conversations.

Last night I ran the 5th element again. I had forgotten how much fun that movie is. I had not seen it in a long time after I burned out on it from watching it too often. (3 times in the cinema, at least 10 times on Laserdisc) The ending is a bit weak too though, not in story sense but the pace slows down a bit too much after the great, often musical, editing of the rest of the movie.

This night I popped in Avatar. Still pretty yet it's starting to age considerably already, hard to believe that was just over 3 years ago. The story remains what it is, not all that engaging. I turned it off half-way, finish it tomorrow.